Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » revised first 13, any better?

Author Topic: revised first 13, any better?
Max Masterson
Member # 4799

- posted      Profile for Max Masterson   Email Max Masterson         Edit/Delete Post 
Fyodor stood when music started. He turned and watched Veronika start to walk down the aisle towards him. She looked breathtaking. Her long auburn hair and deep red skin contrasted against the white of her dress. Her green eyes gleamed with excitement. As he watched her coming closer his eyes strayed to the chair reserved for his father. It was still empty. Where was he? His mother must have noticed what he was looking at and caught his eye. 'He will be here' she mouthed. Veronika came to a halt next to him and took hold of his hand. Fyodor tried to put his father out of his mind and concentrate on listening to the Priest.
As he listened to the ceremony and said his bits, he couldn't stop himself from wondering where his father was. He should be

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited January 18, 2007).]

Posts: 85 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verloren
Member # 3916

- posted      Profile for Verloren   Email Verloren         Edit/Delete Post 
It still seemed like a lot of info-dumping.

I really don't care about the color of her skin or eyes (if it is important, then I need to know why pretty soon).

The interesting thing is that his father isn't there. This part is hooking me. But, I want to know more about how Fyodor's feelings. I get that he is wondering, but I don't know if he feels concerned or mad or sad or whatever.

-V

Posts: 99 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

- posted      Profile for TMan1969   Email TMan1969         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, I have heard similar comments reference my stories. Too much info, so much so, it starts to appear like a plot summary. I would say trim down some info and focus on the important bits.
Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
The order of exposition is the same: fine details about appearance, and later, if at all, we get what the details mean.

>Fyodor stood when music started. He turned and watched Veronika start to walk down the aisle towards him.
Who's Veronika? What aisle?

>She looked breathtaking. Her long auburn hair and deep red skin contrasted against the white of her dress. Her green eyes gleamed with excitement.
Why is she excited?

There's just no reason *not* to tell us, in the first line, that Fyodor is marrying Veronika.

I would agree: the hook is "where's dad?"

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Max Masterson
Member # 4799

- posted      Profile for Max Masterson   Email Max Masterson         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks again. As is probably obvious this is my first time writing a full length story and am learning my way (i've only done short stories till now)and I have found all the comments so far really helpfull
Posts: 85 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems really thick, somehow...like having syrup poured on my brain every time I try to read it.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Dense is the word I'd pick. It's better than the first version but it really gets bogged down in details that probably don't matter. Does Veronika's physical description matter? Probably not.

Cut to the chase.

Ex: Fyodor stood as his bride to be, Veronika, walked down the isle.

The next two lines could be cut as far as I'm concerned. The issue/hook isn't that he's getting married it's that dear old Dad isn't there.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Agre with the comments above. The hook is that Fyodor's father isn't there, and that should be constantly pulling his attention away from what she looks like. Although you're trying to write from his POV, and you are telling us things he knows, you're not telling us the things he's thinking at the time, hence the dense/syrupy/info-dumpy prose.

Relax your writing, let it flow, don't force information into us that isn't relevant or appropriate.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tigertinite
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for tigertinite   Email tigertinite         Edit/Delete Post 
I second the 'thick syrupy' bit. Focus on the father, or the tribe, or the bride, just not all at once. The story is interesting, I like the "where's dad" factor. A very interesting hook.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Max Masterson
Member # 4799

one of the things i'm not sure about; my story is set on a world where there are 5 species none of which are traditional humans, though all are humanoids and merely have diferences to humans. How soon into the story do i need to let the reader know that Fyodor for instance isn't human and descrbe what he is? it's to try and convey this that has led to me putting physical descriptions in my beginning so I'm wondering if I would be able to leave the reader assuming that the caharacters are all humans and living on earth until it gradually becomes obvious they aren't?
Survivor
Member # 213

If it doesn't matter enough for you to mention it pretty much at the outset, it doesn't matter at all.

Mention it up front, or leave it as your private fancy.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell us what he is when it matters. At some point, I suspect the differences will matter or you wouldn't have them in the story.

In the Earthsea series, Ursula K. Le Guin didn't tell the reader that Ged was not Caucasian up front because it didn't matter and we are in his POV. We only learn that when someone else is POV who would notice is watching him. It only matters, really, when he goes to Atuan and everyone there is Caucasian.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Max Masterson
Member # 4799

thank you, that last comment in particular really helped. as Fyodor starts out in a community where everyone is the same as him so like you pointed out it's only when he leaves that it becomes pertinent
Survivor
Member # 213

No, if you don't mention it up front, you can't mention it ever. That will be seen (very justly) as an absolute betrayal by the readers.

The simplest thing to do is simply reverse it, make Fydor et al humans and later reveal that there are non-humans in the world outside the village. If you cannot do that for some reason, then there has to be some important difference between these people and humans that should be very clear right from the beginning of the story.

Survivor
Member # 213

LeGuin does mention very clearly right from the outset that Ged and his folk have dark brown complexions and the Kargo-at have blond hair and very pale complexions in comparison. It's all right there in the first chapter. She doesn't make a big deal out of it, it's easy to assume that Ged has a Mediterranean rather than African complexion (and that's probably more realistic, if you ask me), but she doesn't spring it as a surpise reveal.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.