Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Chocolate Maker's Daughter

Author Topic: The Chocolate Maker's Daughter
cll
Member # 3673

- posted      Profile for cll   Email cll         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first thirteen of a short story. I just need a critique on the first thirteen.

The hole Margaret peered into was the size of her foot.

"Margie, are you okay?" It was her mom. "What was that noise?"

"Ahhh... nothing! I... I just dropped a book." Her hands clenched into balls and her eyes shut just as tight. Would her mom believe her?

"Okay, well, be careful!"

Margaret's bangs fluttered upward as she exhaled her breath. A pesky trickle of blood tickled her ankle. She grabbed a flashlight and shined the light into the hole. It extended all the way through to the framing of her grandparent's farmhouse; stupid old place. It wasn't her fault. She kicked the wall of her bedroom in Chicago all the time and never made a hole.

She shined her light in again. There was no sign of pests...

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited January 20, 2007).]

Posts: 92 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
This was going great for me up until the "what was that?" I know you're trying to show your protagonist's thoughts, but it feels like you're trying to force suspense onto the author in the cheapest of manners. I think you could cut those three words and turn everything after the elipses into one sentence with absolutlely no loss to what you're trying to do.
Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
This makes no sense, I would suggest a complete rewrite. I think it'd be cool if your revised work involved Margie showing her mother the hole and then throwing her in to see what would happen. That's much more exciting. Just my two bits.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erpagris
Member # 4718

- posted      Profile for erpagris           Edit/Delete Post 
I would, maybe, make a small adjustment to the first few lines, where the author intercedes -

"Margie, are you okay? What was that noise?"

"Ahhh... nothing, Mom! I... I just dropped a book." Her hands clenched into balls and her eyes shut just as tight. Would her mom believe her?

"Okay, well, be careful!"

The paragraph was good (I disagree about the "what was that?", I think it works fine) except for the phrase "exhaled her breath" (exhaled is sufficient - see White and Strunk) and "shined" slowed me down. That seemed awkward.

I would definitely read on.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
My problem is just that it's hard to see what's going on. We're in paragraph 4 before we know where the scene is physically located. I also don't know whether the hole just appeared, or if Margaret just found it; or what really caused the noise that made Mom ask questions.

Would Mom believe her about what?

Oh! At the end of paragraph 4 we get why there's a hole. I want this as soon as we know Margaret has found a hole, and I want it prominent, becuase it's crucial to understanding the events.

I didn't have a problem with "what was that?"

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Watch it, D.

The first line wasn't very clear. At first (and this is totally my own fault), I thought it was a hole in her foot, probably a result of a large nail or something. Then I realized that it was a hole as big as her foot, which suggested that it was a hole in the ground and she had avoided stepping into it. Then I find out that there was a noise, and her mother is nearby. When she says she dropped a book, I assumed that she had dropped it into the hole (we have no way of knowing that she's lying). Her reaction made me think that the hole itself was somehow impossible, so now I was thinking of some kind of swirling dimensional portal thingy. And when I found out that she was injured, I was just trying to figure out whether there had been an explosion or what when you finally just tell us what we needed to know from the beginning.

Tell us that she kicked a hole in the wall first.

Realitywise...I'm more than a little dismayed that you portray modern half-inch plasterboard construction as being sturdier than oldfashioned lathe and plaster. Any kid that has ever kicked walls knows that the opposite is true. I'm not sure what to recommend in this case...probably it's best if this is an abberation, if she's a wall kicker, there is no chance her mom wouldn't know instantly exactly what that noise was.

Introwise...tell us that she kicked a hole in the wall, and gloss the reason as you portray her reaction to having her foot stuck in the hole. Give us a little more positional data, I assume that she's lying on the bed, since this is the normal mode for kicking bedroom walls and you don't describe her having a problem balancing on her other leg. Not everyone will catch this, though, so it needs to be explicit. If she's not on the bed, then you've got a problem because it is really difficult to fetch flashlights and stuff when you've got one foot immobilized in such a way that further injury will result if you move around or fall over.

Despite all that, the discovery of a book hidden in the wall is a good hook.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cll
Member # 3673

- posted      Profile for cll   Email cll         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone! Good stuff. I can see now that it suffered from "The Author knows what's going on" syndrome. Thanks for the insight and reality check! I'm off to re-work it.
cll

Posts: 92 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I won't spend much time here because the points may be moot, but here:

> The hole Margaret peered into was the size of her foot.

The syntax is a little funny. I think this should be "Margaret peered into..." And Survivor's critique is right on, so it should probably be something like "...the hole she had just kicked in the wall."

> "Ahhh...

I'm not a big fan of noises like this. Maybe that's just me, but cutting it doesn't cost you anything.

I also didn't love "Would her mom believe her?" or "what was that?" Maybe you're not deep enough in the POV to pull that off? Maybe I'm just hung up on nothing? I'll let you decide...

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.