Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Parallel Universe Short Story

Author Topic: Parallel Universe Short Story
BruceWayne1
Member # 4604

- posted      Profile for BruceWayne1   Email BruceWayne1         Edit/Delete Post 
first draft just looking to see if it is interesting, a good hook, and I am really interested in the dialogue, is it believable to you?

How do you tell someone that you have discovered a universe? Ken had debated with himself through the night. Did he even want to tell anyone? He damn sure wasn’t going to tell Gloria; his wife would make him tell the whole world. She would ruin everything. But he had to tell someone.
“Lou, man, you’ve got to come over”
“Yah, sure, right after work. Why…”
“No, call in sick. I’ve got something you’ve got to see.
“What?”
“I got’ a show you. I can’t tell you on the phone.”
“Man, the last time someone said that to me I ended up selling soap door to door. Just tell me. I can’t call in sick again.”
“For this you can. Trust me. Gloria just left for work. Get

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited January 31, 2007).]

Posts: 106 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
>How do you tell someone that you have discovered a universe?

This is big enough I think it should have its own paragraph.

>Ken had debated with himself through the night. Did he even want to tell anyone? He damn sure wasn’t going to tell Gloria; his wife would make him tell the whole world.

This is funny; keep it. One problem. If he tells Gloria, why would his wife even know, much less make him do something? It's unclear if Gloria and his wife are the same person. Solution: "He damn sure wasn't going to tell his wife Gloria."

I lost interest in the rest of it. There's crucial information missing here: how did he discover a universe? What's it like? Is he a physicist in a lab; a Joe Schmoe who found an inter-universe portal while walking the dog; what? But the author changes the subject, to Lou's reluctance to come over. I wouldn't keep reading, because the thing I'm most curious about, the author isn't telling.

See FAQs, Helpful discussions, Just tell me.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruceWayne1
Member # 4604

- posted      Profile for BruceWayne1   Email BruceWayne1         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Wbriggs, it is coming up very fast, the part about how he found it and what it is like. A little cut and paste and rearrainging should help here. I'll look into it.
Posts: 106 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Sort of an interesting idea.

I'd like you to state up front that he's called Lou on the phone or whatever. It could be a natural segue from Gloria.

quote:
He damn sure wasn’t going to tell Gloria; he'd married her for [love/money/body/whatever], not for her discretion. She would ruin everything. But he had to tell someone...someone who could keep a secret like this. [Then say he's calling Lou]

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zoot
Member # 3176

- posted      Profile for Zoot   Email Zoot         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto WBriggs, I think this is an interesting idea but I would like at least a hint at how or where he found the universe up front.

I kinda switched off by the time I reached the condensed dialogue. You could maybe show us him eagerly ushering his wife out the door to work in the morning so he could safely examine his discovery or whatever...

Maybe that doesn't fit with what you had in mind...just an idea.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
" How do you tell someone that you have discovered a universe?"

Really should be its own paragraph.

I'm not sure the "Ken had debated . . . through the night" is helpful because the next lines show me that he's debating what to do about it.

I second WBriggs. A glimmer of how he found it would be better for me as a reader I think. I know you are trying to avoid an infodump but right now you have a huge gap in the narrative. Just a line or two. Did he find it in the bottom of his coffee cup? Did he trip over it? What?

By the time you get Lou to the story for a "Well as you know Bob" discussion, you have lost me.

Another option is to start the story when he "discovers" the Universe so we are with him and not learning about it as he tells others the next day.

I liked the withholding from the wife. It's showing me a little bit of Ken's character.

Very interesting idea and you have my interest. If you cut to the chase quicker and tell me about how he found the "universe" you'd have me hooked. It's a good start though.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ash
Member # 4615

- posted      Profile for Ash   Email Ash         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I am going to politely differ from Wbriggs and the rest on this. I don't necessarily like the fact that you haven't told me how your man found his universe, but I don't mind it at all either, because your dialogue promises it will come very soon. As long as you deliver on that, I won't mind waiting a bit.

The thing though that in my mind needs work is your dialogue. It is witty, but it drags a bit, and not all of it is needed. What you could do is cut the lines

“What?”
“I got’ a show you. I can’t tell you on the phone.”

because the same basic information is communicated in the next two lines and the one before. This also gives you a little more room to work with, which can either include more of your dialogue, or you can listen to the other folks and add a hint of how he found that universe.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I pretty much agree with Ash. I'd add that the odd spellings and contractions are more distracting than beneficial. I know people who say "Yah" all the time, but I'd write them as saying "Yeah".
Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.