Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » First 13 lines of a Short Story - no title yet

Author Topic: First 13 lines of a Short Story - no title yet
priscillabgoo
Member # 4777

- posted      Profile for priscillabgoo   Email priscillabgoo         Edit/Delete Post 
“So you want to know what I told the cops? Here’s the abbreviated version.”

You wrapped your arm around Virginia, grabbed a bottle of champagne and steered her into your suite. About half an hour later, even through closed doors and the din of a party, we could hear screams. Knocks went ignored. By the time we were finally able to force the door open, she was on her stomach, naked, bleeding and still. There was so much blood; scarlet smeared the sheets, the wall, the girl’s thighs, your belly, your _cock_. There was no doubt about what you had done. No doubt at all. And you never said a word. You just went into the bathroom to dress. Then, you left without a backward glance.

[This message has been edited by priscillabgoo (edited February 03, 2007).]

Posts: 63 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
What are you looking for? Just first a 13 crit? Readers for the whole thing?

My biggest problem is that I don't know who the "you" is -- the use of second person makes it feel like you mean it to be me, but the person who did this clearly isn't me. That might be okay if you had painted a picture of me the way you want me to be first.

Is this murder literally something that I, a normal person (if I may call myself that), did under some strange circumstances? Or was this murder predictable, if you had only known me well enough?

Most of my issue seems to be related to the heavy dose of second-person up front.

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
priscillabgoo
Member # 4777

- posted      Profile for priscillabgoo   Email priscillabgoo         Edit/Delete Post 
Basically this short story is a WIP. I suspect it will be around 3000 words when it's done. The reader finds out who "you" refers to in the very next line.

It may be that this confrontation isn't the place to start, but I have to finish the story before I can figure that part out.

This is a fantasy with a mystery element. The reader finds out what the crime is and who is accused of doing what at the start, the real focus is what motivates the crime.

Posts: 63 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
Believe it or not, It wasn't as obvious to me what (all) he had done. I had a pretty good idea of part of it (committed the rape), but what wasn't clear was what else he might have done. Whether he killed her is probably the big question.

On a matter of personal taste, this hit me with too much too soon, maybe because the speaker's dialogue had a bit of an expository feel and I felt forced to see the gorey scene before I had any real interest in the story. And I'm usually not squeamish, I just finished reading "Hannibal" yesterday morning.

Also, I was confused on the POV. The excerpt read like second person but it could have been an artifact of opening with a relatively long monologue. I'd suggest you consider clearly establishing the POV somewhere in the first 13 lines, in the first sentence or two if possible.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops -- I missed the first line; thought it was commentary or title.

The use of quotation marks, but not around the story, is confusing. You might leave them off.

Is this a letter? An answering machine message? You might tell us; that could help. Or maybe it's dialog, in which case it's more like

"So you want to know what I told the cops?" John said to Bill. (Some details of their relationship, and why John is telling this version of events.) "Here's the abbreviated version. You wrapped your arm...on her stomach, naked and bleeding."

(Bill reacts)

(John continues)

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
priscillabgoo
Member # 4777

I worked on this a bit last night and this is what precedes the snippet of dialogue above. It's meant to have a noir feel.

Maude sat across from her old lover, bitterness leaching out of every pore. She couldn’t believe he dared to summon her and she still couldn’t believe she came. Once, they made sense together; shared a common dream. Not now. He was on top of his game, and Maude has traded the stars in her eyes for dollar signs. Her newest goal was to glean a taste of the pure essence of power, and lap up every precious drop. In the interim she was willing to settle for cold, hard cash; that too had its uses.

xverion
Member # 4908

- posted      Profile for xverion   Email xverion         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a bit confused as to who told the cops the story at the beginning, and who they are talking about.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
priscillabgoo
Member # 4777

The "you" is the ex-boyfriend. Maude is the one speaking. She was a witness to a crime. The Ex wanted to meet with her to find out what she said to the police. She went because she wants to blackmail him.

The whole story takes place in Hollywood and is meant to have a noir sensibility.

wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that your new beginning contains info we'll certainly need to understand the scene. I also want a name for "old lover" and a location for where they're sitting (restaurant? law office?).

The more abstract stuff...this is not in Maude's POV, I think. If it is, I don't get it. I'd say rewrite that part using Maude's thoughts about John. (This will also enable you to strike the "bitterness leaching" line, which doesn't seem to be something Maude would think about herself.)

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
priscillabgoo
Member # 4777

NEW & IMPROVED BEGINNING (I HOPE):
Maude Delmont sat across from her old lover with only the ornate, mahogany desk between them; bitterness leaching out of her every pore. Maude couldn’t believe he dared to summon her and she still couldn’t believe she came. Once, they made sense together; shared a common dream. Not now. The lavishly appointed office with its Persian carpet, antique furniture, and heavy silk-brocade drapes was all his. He was at the top of the pile in Hollywood, whereas Maude had traded the stars in her eyes for dollar signs. Her newest goal was to glean a taste of the pure essence of power, and lap up every precious drop. In the interim she was willing to settle for cold, hard cash; that too had its uses.

oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, much better.

Starting with language stuff: When semicolons connect clauses, each one should be able to stand on its own as a separate sentence. "John hated riding in Mary's car; it smelled like three-day-old halibut." "bitterness leaching out of her every pore" should therefore be "bitterness leached out of every pore", and "shared a common dream" should be "they shared a common dream", if you want to keep the semicolons.

You might also use a colon, but a good rule of thumb (and maybe an actual rule, who knows?) is that it should be in a place where you could say, "that is." "Oliver was pedantic: as boring as white rice flavored with farina." That works for your second semicolon, I think, although I'd still want to add "they": "together: they shared a common dream."

Any other punctuation people can correct me. I'm going from memory.

There's also a little bit of redundancy here. You don't have to say "lavishly appointed" because I see a Persian carpet, antique furniture, and silk. I would drop either "ornate" or "mahogany" for the same kind of reason. (I'd probably keep "mahogany" because it's more specific, or I'd use "ornately carved" or something.)

As far as the story goes, I still want a name for Maude's old lover: "sat across from Roscoe, her old lover, with only..." is fine.

I'm thrown just a little bit by the way Maude had traded the stars in her eyes for dollar signs, when her newest goal is power. The sequence is actually a little different than you present it here, isn't it? After re-reading I think that her ultimate goal, the stars in her eyes, is pure power; she deferred it for money, which has its uses; but she hasn't given up, and will return to her quest for power one day. If so, I didn't really get that from what you have here.

For all that I nitpick, though, it's a much better opening.

[This message has been edited by oliverhouse (edited February 05, 2007).]

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
priscillabgoo
Member # 4777

Maude Delmont sat across from her old lover with only the mahogany desk between them; bitterness leached out of every pore. Maude couldn’t believe he dared to summon her and she still couldn’t believe she came. Once, they made sense together; they shared a common dream. Not now. The cavernous office with its Persian carpet, antique furniture, and heavy silk-brocade drapes was all his. He was at the top of the pile in Hollywood, whereas Maude had traded the stars in her eyes for dollar signs. Her ultimate goal was to glean a taste of the pure essence of power, and lap up every delicious drop. In the interim she was willing to settle for cold, hard cash; that too had its uses.

FINAL VERSION OF THE FIRST 13, FANTASY/NOIR READER'S WANTED

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.