Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Evergrove (looking for readers)

Author Topic: The Evergrove (looking for readers)
trailmix
Member # 4440

- posted      Profile for trailmix   Email trailmix         Edit/Delete Post 
I have 99% of the first draft written. I just keep banging up against a wall on the ending. I could use a fresh pair of eyes on this. It just under 2000 words right now.

The first 13.

Laraleth walked amongst the trees of the Evergrove. She is The Grove Tender. She harvests the souls that hang like fruit from the branches of the Lineage Trees and recycles them with the divine detachment that the Oath demands. She stopped at the Keegan bloodline’s tree and pressed her hand against its smooth trunk, stretching out her senses, caressing each small golden fruit, gleaning mortal emotion as she went. She passed over hundreds of souls in search for the first that was ripe for reclamation. She wrapped her senses around it.She felt the death swelling in the old woman’s chest. She dove deeper, peering out from behind the mortal’s eyes. The old woman was surrounded by family. Laraleth basked in the love aimed at the soul she wore like a mask. After a few millennia, despite her Oath, she had grown fond of the emotions of Man.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll check it out.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
My strongest reaction, one that blinds my ability to focus on other details, is that almost every line starts the same way -- "She."
Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trailmix
Member # 4440

Hmmm. I hadnt noticed that.

I went back and checked the rest of the story. It is only like that in the first paragraph.

Is that an issue?

[This message has been edited by trailmix (edited March 08, 2007).]

Posts: 148 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm no expert on style, but if you were to tweak things like "As a Grove Tender, she harvests..." to get away from each sentence starting with the same pronoun. I see the point.

I think the trick is, if you try to adjust the wording, to avoid slipping into passive voice. It'd be easy to say "Passing over hundreds of souls in search..." and "Wrapping her senses around it..."

Perhaps even just a re-statement of her name? Maybe a second paragraph? Just some ideas. I like the concept. Seems a great beginning!

Karen

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ruskin
Member # 5128

- posted      Profile for Ruskin   Email Ruskin         Edit/Delete Post 
My inner grammar nut screamed in protest at the sudden change of tense. I have a hard time reading grammatically stylized work, but if you'd like me to check out your story and try to help you with your ending (and comment on the rest of the story) without making criticism on the grammar, I'd be glad to give it a shot.
Posts: 19 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trailmix
Member # 4440

Laraleth walked amongst the trees of the Evergrove. As Grove Tender, she harvests the souls that hang like fruit from the branches of the Lineage Trees and recycles them with the divine detachment that the Oath demands. She stopped at the Keegan bloodline’s tree and pressed her hand against its smooth trunk, stretching out her senses, caressing each small golden fruit, gleaning mortal emotion as she went. Laraleth passed over hundreds of souls in search of the first that was ripe for reclamation. She wrapped her senses around it and felt the death swelling in the old woman’s chest. She dove deeper, peering out from behind the mortal’s eyes. The old woman was surrounded by family. Laraleth basked in the love aimed at the soul she wore like a mask. After a few millennia, despite her Oath, she had grown fond of the emotions of Man.

Better?

priscillabgoo
Member # 4777

- posted      Profile for priscillabgoo   Email priscillabgoo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scott,
This version is clearer and much tighter. It will help what comes next in the story seem natural. I'm still in if you need a reader.

Posts: 63 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
You still have that sudden and unneeded tense change in the second line. Switch it all to past tense and then start a new paragraph with the third line as a signal that the third line is not a continuance of the explanation of her job.

I'll read the whole thing for you.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trailmix
Member # 4440

Laraleth walked amongst the trees of the Evergrove. She was The Grove Tender. She harvested the souls that hung like fruit from the branches of the Lineage Trees and recycled them with the divine detachment that the Oath demanded.

She stopped at the Keegan bloodline’s tree and pressed her hand against its smooth trunk, stretching out her senses, caressing each small golden fruit, gleaning mortal emotion as she went. She passed over hundreds of souls in search for the first that was ripe for reclamation. She wrapped her senses around it.

She felt the death swelling in the old woman’s chest. She dove deeper, peering out from behind the mortal’s eyes. The old woman was surrounded by family. Laraleth basked in the love aimed at the soul she wore like a mask. After a few millennia, despite her Oath, she had grown fond of the emotions of Man.

I think I have the end figured out. Not 100% on it. Trying to finish it up right now actually.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.