Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Ophidia

Author Topic: Ophidia
Janae
Member # 5176

- posted      Profile for Janae   Email Janae         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! This is my first time here and I've written a short story called Ophidia. I would like to know anything you might think would be of value. If you would like to read all, let me know and I'll email it. About 1800 words. Thanks! Janae

I first heard of my uncle’s marriage from rumors that had circulated from neighbors of friends of friends. I didn’t put much stock in it. It would have been totally out of character from the man I knew. Conor was like a father to me, and had sent money to my parents to fund a private education. I received a public education, with my parents using the money sent to fund expensive vacations, while I was left at home with a babysitter.
Conor had sent letters to me every week telling me about his life, and wishing me well. He always told me how great a man I was going to grow up to be. I only wished to be like him, and not my parents.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janae - welcome.

My first reaction is that some of the sentence structures were confusing to me. For instance, "I received a public education..."

Have you thought of changing things around a bit to something like "I received a public education, while my parents used the money to fund expensive vacations. I was left home with a babysitter."

I personally suffer from the run-on-sentence disease, so it could be that I'm being overly sensitive.

I also found "He always told me..." sentence tricky. I think the problem is a dangling participle or misplaced referent, but this is the part of grammar that I can't usually name, just notice. Again I think a rewording would easily fix it, or breaking up the thought into two (or more) distinct sentences.

I'm not sure I'm hooked yet, and in a short story under 2k words, I think the early hook is really important. Is there a way to get some forewarning of the pending issue here?

Good luck with this. It seems like a great start.
Karen

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Nit: you could tell us about the rumor w/o confirming it yet. ("I heard rumors that my uncle had married...")

This doesn't really grip me, but I think it's close. It just that the MC doesn't seem too interested herself (oops -- himself. Maybe give us a clue on the sex earlier). Whatever tension and struggle is in your story, let's see it here.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antinomy
Member # 5136

- posted      Profile for Antinomy   Email Antinomy         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds interesting but from the reader's POV something is missing ... like sentence #1, some kind of ho hum crasher, like: "I heard a rumor that my uncle married the town drunk (or whomever)."
A little addition might help strengthen the entire opener.

Posts: 147 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the style is a little stiff.

You are trying too hard to build sympathy for the MC. IMHO it could have been accomplished with a few short sentences. Then there would be room to introduce plot-conlict.

Is it Uncle Connor?

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I can handle 1800 words.

Send it over.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.