Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Amphi girls--SF

Author Topic: Amphi girls--SF
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, here's the first thirteen lines of "Amphi Girls".
Please feel free to comment on anything that bothers you.
In particular I'd like to know:
- Do you think the MC is male of female?
- Would it bother you to wait another 10 lines to get the MC's name?
- What do you think are these people?

The war was won. The soldiers were sent home.
When we got to New York, the party had been going on for a week, but the major parades had been held off for our arrival. Infantry and Air could say what they wanted, but everyone knew that it was the women of the Underwater battalions who had yanked the war out of the deadlock it had been in for forty years and a crowd came out to the bay to meet us.
I noticed that the other women looked scared. They'd when it came to ripping submarines apart with steel claws or sinking heroin-loaded zodiacs that financed the warlords, but now they were at odds in the middle of the throng. It was understandable. There was a heavy feeling in our stomachs as we laboured to move without water to buoy us up. We were landsick. Our gills dried

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited March 13, 2007).]

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
>The war was won. The soldiers were sent home.

>When we got to New York

It's unclear to me who "we" are. It's probably not the soldiers, of narrator would've said "We were sent home."

>everyone knew that it was the women of the Underwater battalions who had yanked the war out of the deadlock it had been in for forty years and a crowd came out to the bay to meet us.

The parallelism is disconcerting. Everybody knew, and a crowd came out. I think it would be better to make them separate sentences.

>I noticed that the other women looked scared.
Narrator must be a woman, or she woulnd't say "the other women."

They're genetically engineered people, I think.

Given this text I don't need MC's name, but then I'm not sure it's the right text. It's sort of not-really-summary and also not in-the-moment: you're summarizing the event, but not very tersely.

I suggest you give a *short* summary of the situation, and then take us to a specific time and place, and show us some action, probably involving other people. If you do that, we'll need MC named earlier.

I also suggest moving the thing about gills earlier -- that's when I felt hooked!

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with wbriggs, for the most part. You would be better starting it with:

quote:

We were landsick. Our gills dried out in the chilly air and confetti stuck in the crevices of our scales and itched.

A question of PoV:

quote:

...the women of the Underwater battalions

quote:

They'd (What?) when it came to ripping submarines apart with steel claws or sinking heroin-loaded zodiacs that financed the warlords, but now they were at odds in the middle of the throng.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited March 12, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like an idiot criting your stuff but I'll do my best.

“Infantry and Air could say what they wanted, but everyone knew that it was the women of the Underwater battalions who had yanked the war out of the deadlock it had been in for forty years and a crowd came out to the bay to meet us.”

This feels like a long sentence with too much information. I read it twice to get your meaning. You’ll know how to solve that.

"I noticed that the other women looked scared. They'd when it came to ripping submarines apart…” Typo here. Something missing between They'd and when

“Our gills dried out in the chilly air and confetti stuck in the crevices of our scales and itched.”

I’d remove one of the, and’s. But maybe thats just me.

I like it and I'd read on. Partly cos its good and partly cos I trust your work.

Tracy

Oh and your questions

1 female
2 no
3 genetically engineered humans or aliens

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited March 12, 2007).]

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
1. MC is female.

2. I don't need a name yet because nobody's individuated yet.

3. I'm not sure. Mutants? Genetically engineered people? Modified people? Human, I think, but not normal human. I read "alien" in other responses and thought "no", then set off to find out why; I think I'm keying off of "women", which I would expect to be "females" if they were non-human.

I'm in the dubious situation of disagreeing with wbriggs a fair amount here, but hear me out.

This introduction is analogous to a cinematic zoom into the scene. (But only analogous. It's not cinematic, because a camera couldn't do what you do here. It's zooming intellectually, if you will.) "The war was won" is very broad, and you slowly bring the POV in: all soldiers, New York soldiers and civilians, units within the army, the Underwater battalions, "us", "I". For that reason, contra Briggs, I think it may be the right text.

The language seems a little stilted. Nothing some proofreading and editing couldn't fix. IB and Tracy point out something that stopped me. It looks like a typo.

I didn't have a problem with "When we got to New York". I assumed you were among the soldiers. That said, I can see how there could be some ambiguity, but it's cleared up within a sentence. Your mileage may vary, I guess.

I also didn't have a problem with the parallelism that Briggs notes. Everybody knew that _we_ were the heroes; thus a crowd came out when _we_ arrived, even though others had already come home and the party had been going on since the war ended.

Regards,
Oliver

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Were the other women scared because they were in the middle of the throng? Because they were landsick? The confetti in the crevices? I feel like "it was understandable" doesn't quite belong because I don't yet understand why they were at odds in the middle of the throng.

Definitely seems female. I can handle waiting a little longer for a name. Having recently read a Gregory Benford book about humans and their future evolution, I see either technology-driven modifications or evolution at play. Either one is a really interesting hook, and if you were looking to punch it up dropping the gills and scales bit earlier might be worthwhile, at least to try it out and see if you like it.

Karen

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Ups
quote:
They'd when it came to ripping submarines apart with steel claws or sinking heroin-loaded zodiacs that financed the warlords, but now they were at odds in the middle of the throng.
Should be:
quote:
They'd been fearless and savage when it came to ripping submarines apart with steel claws or sinking heroin-loaded zodiacs that financed the warlords, but now they were at odds in the middle of the throng.

I need some time to digest the critiques and figure out how to rewrite this. In the mean time is anyone up to reading the whole story? It's sitting at about 5100 and I'm not sure if it's working as it is. I'm wondering whether to change it from first person to third, and do an extensive rewrite to fit the story into the new perspective.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

I'll do a trade with you Sara. I have a story that is going to be about 5000 words. I'm almost finished and will be looking for readers.

Tracy

BTW, I loved Godtouched.

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! I'm interested. (after some prodding on the general writing forum...LOL)

I'm not sure I can promise a great turnaround time, but add me to your list. Especially if I can use "track changes" to just stick comments inline (would be faster for me) along whatever categories you're looking for help, and send feedback piecemeal. Just not grammar. I'm not Grammar Girl.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

Tnwilz: totally yes. I've emailed you
Kay: thanks. How do I contact you/send you the story?

Gideon
Member # 5031

- posted      Profile for Gideon   Email Gideon         Edit/Delete Post 
Totally hooked and want to read more. I only had two problems. One you straightened out with the update and the other is about the women's discomfort in the crowd. It could be made a little clearer, but that may happen later or not be important. Still, as a hook, the 13 worked and I would read on. If you want to send it I will be glad to read more, but it may be next week before I can do so.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read, but I can't promise a fast turn around. May be able to get to it this weekend.
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

This is another great story from you Sara. The Sci-Fi aspect is strong. Read it slowly and deliberately and don’t allow your brain to fill in or repair text errors and you will catch them all. They are minor but there are several.

Another thing occurs to me when reading this. A great man once said, “Out of the hearts abundance, the mouth speaks.” Your medical background bleeds through fairly plainly and that really adds to your believability. (I’m jealous)

However, another aspect of Sara bleeds through too. I spotted it immediately because I lived in the UK until I was twenty and all my family still live there. It’s that European perception of the US. I don’t know I would specify a specific country in this story. The overall flavor of US society portrayed is extremely stereotypical, and not really accurate. You can get away with a corrupt secret department within a department. Corrupt men with power as well. No problem. But your story seems to portray Americans in general as a bit stupid and uncertain as to how to love their own. One or two warped minds in the military is cool, but not an overall, “we don’t care about you anymore” attitude from an entire military branch.

I’m not American, but this might offend some American readers. The stupid arrogance with which the people of the US are portrayed by the media of Europe is far from true and the people here hardly view themselves as either. There are many men here, husbands, fathers and sons who would throw themselves under the bus for a Nato soldier without second thought and do so every day. Americans don’t intentionally treat their soldiers badly anymore, that was the 60’s. I’ve gone on about this enough that the point is exaggerated now. Anyway, just take it under advisement as one opinion.

Its weird to think of it Sara, but if any of us are really going to make it as writers we have to stop and think about who might be offended if we use existing societies in our fiction. Kinda cool to have to think that way too, huh? It means you have an international audience. You’re a talented little Spaniard and I wouldn’t want to sword fight you.

Brilliant job. Certainly publishable.

Tracy

Sara Genge
Member # 3468

Tracy, thanks for the crit.
I do realize the vision of the US that I portrayed in this story is a bit over the top (I'm a also American). At the same time, if I were to do a perfectly balanced story, I'd probably wind up with a novel. Hopefully I can fix this and still keep the shorter format.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.