Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » first 13

Author Topic: first 13
artemesia
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for artemesia   Email artemesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Well here goes...

It was in 1944, the beginning of autumn. It was a year when the persimmon leaves turned a reddish-purple and the yellow and green kabocha were plentiful and swollen, awaiting harvest. The fragrant, indigo nights had become so cold that my mother put an extra quilt on the bed that I shared with my two sisters, Dae and Bo-Bae.
That morning on the road to school, the fir trees seem to reach out their dark, protective limbs. The fog like soft cotton, floated under my feet. The ground, uneven, tried to fool me into falling. But, I had to be strong; I carried my sister, Bo-Bae on my back.
We entered our classroom and bowed three times to the portrait of Hirohita. We studied the history and language of a country

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited March 16, 2007).]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I’m sorry, but there is too much description of setting that is flat rather than active...well, not that...it’s just description for a cover artist not a reader looking for story.

The first part – It was in 1944, the beginning of autumn. It was a year when the persimmon leaves turned a reddish-purple – worked fine. A bit lyrical, but the kabocha bit didn’t. Partly, I think, because I have no familiarity with a kabocha whereas I do know vaguely what a persimmon is. Maybe you could drop the kabocha entirely and talk about the persimmons being swollen and ripe for harvest (are they in autumn?).

It was in 1944, the beginning of autumn. It was a year when the persimmon leaves turned a reddish-purple, swollen and awaiting harvest. The fragrant, indigo nights had become so cold that my mother put an extra quilt on my bed.

But, here is where I want something more substantial storywise. Now if you want to keep the fog and the fir trees, start there. I’m seeing it as if you’re making two attempts to start. First with the persimmon and quilts and secondly with the for and fog.

Does that make any sense? I don’t feel a real segue between the “persimmon and quilts” and the “fir and fog.” And, because of that, it isn’t working. That, and the fact I don’t “feel” details preparing me for the story. Unfortunately, I suspect that the details about the sisters on the way to school probably are more lead-in to the story that the more lyrical persimmon and quilts which is a shame. I’m far more interested in a story that begins with ripening persimmons and cold autumn nights with extra quilts than the more mundane going to school.

Anyway, this is just my thoughts on the matter.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this. I'll want MC to struggle with something PDQ, and it wouldn't hurt to tell us in the first line that something's up, as in
quote:
In 1944, the year the evil robot monkeys took over Japan...

The beauty of the language is keeping me going for now.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL - wbriggs. You are really dying to see evil robot monkeys take over...aren't you?

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited March 16, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
artemesia
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for artemesia   Email artemesia         Edit/Delete Post 
arrikki
I appreciate your comments and I understand your points. But in defense of my opening that is appropriate for the kind of story that it is which is a memory of probably the most monumental day of the narrator's life. I guess this is the drawback of doing the first 13 lines. Different types intros work for different types of stories.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
>LOL - wbriggs. You are really dying to see evil robot monkeys take over...aren't you?

Please -- don't tell Clarissa! She's paranoid enough as it is!

http://evilrbtmonkey.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.