Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » A Dangerous Education

Author Topic: A Dangerous Education
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
New title, new first 13, same story as "Education".

The International Mathematics Competition was causing a great deal of excitement on the campus of Surabaya University. Back home in Canada, the only time the students got this excited was when the Prime Minister talked about smoking pot on television. I teach English as a Foreign Language, but it was so nice to see students who were actually excited about learning that I attended the opening ceremonies.
The competitions were held every four years. Surabaya had taken first place in 2024 and 2028, and was hoping for a win in 2032.
The university is on a mountaintop, on one of the outlying islands, and I had to squint as a strong wind off the sea blew in my face.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
This reads very much like a journalistic account, an article, even the first person account of someone who was at that place and time. But articles being informative, are devoid of "story".
The information you have here can be woven in later. Give us something to bite on, something compelling. Some crisis or conflict. Maybe you should start with something that happens after the Premier dies, some conflict that arises because of his death. In any event, give us something immediate so we know all is not well and headed to something worse.

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm torn between telling you to toss this, and helping you work to improve it. You're closer to a story here, but this first section is the very definition of an info-dump. The thoughts going on are also slightly jumbled, as if you are trying to introduce us to as much information as possible as soon as possible. It is leading to sentences that don't lead into each other, almost a non sequitor though no conclusion is actually being reached.

Try this: take your opening scene, maybe an interaction between your MC and a small group of his students preparing for this mathematics competition.... whatever it is you're imagining. Work in the background info you just told us and allow your characters to show it to us. Maybe have a more senior student say something like, "I was on that team in '28. We were this close to making it to the finals. If I hadn't bungled that quadratic relation.... what a stupid mistake!" It can take a little longer to work in the info that is important, and makes you decide what is truly truly important because too much background makes your characters sound like info-spewing robots, but the effect is much improved, in my estimation.

Still no hook here for me. Closer, though.

Jayson Merryfield

[This message has been edited by Wolfe_boy (edited June 26, 2007).]

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill
Member # 5646

- posted      Profile for Bill   Email Bill         Edit/Delete Post 
The idea of beginning in the midst of a conflict is good. But if you want to try beginning with description, what if you folded the geometry of the city into the story? Sometimes its fun just to use the setting to play off a theme:

Surabaya, the Asian city strewn across seven mountains rising from the sea.
I came here from Canada seeking an exotic port city only to find a rigid human system of automata, seeking the curves of a Picasso only to find a lifeless blank piece of graph paper. The students could no more see their hilltops as mathematical surfaces to be integrated than they could envision themselves escaping the class system that treated them like papers to be filed in drawers.

This opening isn’t great and it is stylistically idiosyncratic not to mention grammatically incorrect, but it communicates the setting without a list, suggests a conflict, sets up for a theme about math, and describes the social structure...

Being a lover of all things mathematical, I just hate to see a story about mathematics get passed by.

Btw, this is my first critique.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rick,

Well, first, 'Dangerous Education' is an intruiging title.

And Bill said well much of what I feel.

I think you have a similar challenge to the one I faced some while ago, able to write clear technical reports, feeding information in a structured sequential fashion. While this is a style that works in business, it's ... well, boring in fiction. Fiction writers seem to follow the drama, the action -- or with your mountains, as Bill suggested, the beauty.

I speak as a fool, trying to learn myself, but maybe you could try this: tell us what the POV character sees, thinks, feels - but not what he knows.

Maybe, 'It was an uncomfortable hard seat, high in the bowl. I cursed the wind as it whipped over our mountain top and made my eyes water. I could barely see the students parading excitedly in the stadium far below me. Why would anyone build a university on a mountain top, I wondered - and why had I come here from my beloved Canada?'

Maybe at this point someone sitting nearby could interrupt his thoughts with a conversation about whether they'll win it for the third time, and he could correct their English thereby feeding in that he teaches English instead of telling us.

Or something like; it's your story of course.

Just my two cents worth,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
As always, I appreciate the feedback.

Part of the problem is this. I want to lull the reader into a false sense of security. I want the reader to think, gee, this country has a really great government, low crime, eager young students. Then gradually insert in the background things that make the reader uneasy.

There is a movie (Wait Until Dark???) directed by Nicholas Roag that seems to be an almost idelic story of a family on vacation in Venice. But in the background, we see police fishing bodies out of canals, a headline about a serial killer on the loose -- all in the background, while the foreground is peaceful and serene. Then, WHAM!, you get hit up aside the head with a brick.

I'll give it more thought.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

Another attempt at getting this story off to a good start.

The best student in my English as a Foreign Language class, whose American name was Kevin, wasn’t paying attention, so I called on him.
“Kevin, tell us something about the American system of government.”
Kevin did not miss a beat. “America is a very powerful government. It is the richest government on earth. Someday, I would like to go to America.”
“Kevin, your English is perfect, as usual. But you didn’t answer my question.”
“Sir, I regret my mind was on other things. In one hour, I take part in the International Mathematics Competition.”
A barely perceptible stir passed through the class.

Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

This is closer.... still feels like you're trying to work too much info into the story, but I'm getting a better feel for the characters. Some of the dialogue feels a little stilted, though.

Maybe, replace this....

quote:
“Sir, I regret my mind was on other things. In one hour, I take part in the International Mathematics Competition.”
A barely perceptible stir passed through the class.

...with this...

quote:
"Kevin, your english is perfect, as usual, but you didn't answer my question. Perhaps if your mind was on the task at hand and not the Mathematics competition, you would have answered me correctly."
A stir passed through the class, hearing me mention the competition.
"I apologize, sir. It is in an hour and... I admit, I am a little distracted."

This is getting much better. Each pass polishes a fair bit of the grime off, and I'm starting to see some gleam shine through.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

Thanks, Wolfie. (You don't mind if I call you "Wolfie"?)

As for stilted -- the POV character should not sound stilted, but Kevin should. He is a good student, but English is not his native language. Non-native speakers often speak in short sentences.

nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 

"I want to lull the reader into a false sense of security. I want the reader to think, gee, this country really has a great government, low crime, eager young students."

I think you should give this approach some serious thought. By the time the reader realizes the country has a great government, low crime, eager young students - and you have lulled him into a false sense of security, you will also have lulled him into a REAL sense of boredom with a story with no conflict or tension. That's even assuming he gets to the point where "cracks" appear in this great culture.

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

Call me as you please, just make sure "Jayson" is spelled correctly on my Hugo. I've spent too many years checking fruitlessly for that damn'd Y.

Jayson Merryfield

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
But the latest verion has lost the exotic-sounding 'Surabaya' and the concept of the university on the mountain top which for me were the only 'hooky' elements in the first 13, because they sounded vaguely alien or fantastical.

The math competition isn't for me a hook because while I have an affection for math I can't imagine how a math competition could be exciting to read about.

Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
As others have said, this is getting better with each revision. By the way, your 'old' problem was not that you started with dialogue, but that you started with uninformative dialogue. You're latest attempt is doing a bit better with that.

Why is the math competition important? It will tell a lot about the country if it's not just 'we want to win and show the world how great we are' and is instead 'we have to win or my family will starve.' If this is already your idea, maybe show that these students are really nervous, more so than would be normal. We need to see something minor that's off or hints of something being wrong to draw us in.

Perhaps something closer to:

quote:
“Kevin, tell us something about the American system of government,” I asked, trying to get my English as a Foreign Language class focused.

Kevin jerked and looked up at me. “America is a very powerful government. It is the richest government on earth. Someday, I would like to go to America.”

“Sir, my regrets. My mind was on other things. In one hour, I take part in the International Mathematics Competition.”

A nervous stir passed through the class.

Or perhaps have the teacher ask him to describe his government instead of America's government, and he spouts off a short description of the city or university's location.

Just ideas.

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

WWASD What would Aaron Sorkin do?

I'm amazed at how complaisant I was about my writing before I came here.

Sorkin would begin with a character, give us a reason to like that character, and show us that that character was in conflict and trying to do something about it. He would withhold the nature of the conflict for a later scene. Character always comes first, but the character must be a) likable and b) active.

Wolfie, good luck with the "y". Chip Delany was sitting in my living room when he opened a package from his publisher which contained the book Driftglass. His name on the cover was spelled Delaney.

R. A. Lafferty had an even worse experience. They never gave him his Hugo. He was still trying to get it on his deathbed. I wrote to several Worldcon chairs -- nobody was interested. Not my problem, was the common response.

Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

WWASD (new 13 lines)

I called on Lee Loong, who prefered to be called Kevin, the best student in my English as a Foreign Language class. “Kevin, what can you tell us about the American form of government.”
“America is a powerful nation. America is the richest country in the world.” He choked and began to sob. Tears ran down his face.
Out of politeness, the other students pretended not to notice. I had no idea what was going on with Kevin, but I offered him a chance to save face. “The pollution is particularly bad, today. Perhaps you would like to wash your face and hands.”
Kevin did not meet my eyes, but he stood, made a slight bow, and left the room. I tried to act as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened.

Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

Good. I think we're approaching the perihelion here - this is getting better each time in the characterization department.

Why the tears, though? That threw me. Threw me a big curveball. I never pictured Kevin as a big weeper in the previous revision's we've read. I enjoyed the narrators response to him, allowing his student an opportunity to save face (spotlight on the local culture) and telling us about the pollution (spotlight on world-building).

The description of America is a little generic, though - it doesn't hint to a future setting at all. Not even the pollution does that, as some chinese cities are horribly polluted today. I'm also not quite getting the hook here yet. It's there, faintly, for anyone interested in a foreign language teacher, or crying boys I suppose. I just don't know that, where you've chosen to start the story, there is a good way to hook us in the first 13. You're starting a slight bit distant from the central issue of the story. The characters are going to have to be your hook, and this gets us closer to them.

If you can answer some of this in the next page that follows, I'd say you might have got it down.

Jayson Merryfield

DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the latest version, but I think it could use a small bit of fine tuning to assure a hook. How about if the teacher has an idea of what's wrong? Something like:

quote:
Perhaps Kevin was overly nervous about the International Math Competition coming up in an hour. I offered him a chance to save face.

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

Good suggestions. Thanks.

The Aaron Sorkin moment for me here was when I asked: who is hurting? The answer was: Kevin. If he does not win the competition, his whole nation will loose face. But he has such an inflated opinion of America that he has trouble imagining beating an American.

To allow him to loose control in a classroom, I had to make him younger, thus the change from college to high school.

Is he really under that much pressure? Think about the high suicide rate among students in many countries that have very strict educational systems.

I think I've fiddled with the opening as much as is good for me. This entry into the story is certainly better than the one I started with. It has made the next two or three scenes easier to write. I'll let you all know when the story is finished.

BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I like JaYson's version best so far; it's the one that best catches my interest. And I preferred it when he was more stilted and did not lose control. Especially if he is from an Asian nation, which to my understanding looks down upon overt displays of emotion.

Still, I think it's very possible that he could be emotional due to being under that much pressure. I went to a high school with very tough standards, and the pressure from teachers and parents to perform was intense. Add political/social pressure to that, and it would make him even more unstable.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

You've all been a big help, especially at finding a good starting point. The story came in at 8600 words. Would anyone like to critique the complete story before I send it off to Asimov's?

BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, I'd be interested in reading it. Send it along.
Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

- posted      Profile for TMan1969   Email TMan1969         Edit/Delete Post 
Good Luck with Asimov Rick - break a pencil or something like that -eh..
Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.