Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » God's Shoe

Author Topic: God's Shoe
DLDzioba
Member # 5657

- posted      Profile for DLDzioba           Edit/Delete Post 
The title is tentative, and this is only a rough draft, I wrote the entire story (approx. 2,500 words) in a matter of hours after coming up with the concept. Please tell me what you think.

~*~
God's Shoe
Realistic Fiction
Approx 2500 words
~*~

The day was hot in a way that made even the honeysuckle droop under the sun. The last days of summer always seemed hottest as the last fragrant breaths of sickly-sweet flowers faded in the humid North Carolina heat. Even on the steps of St. Michael's, a little church nestled into Rutherford's small town, seemed to be sagging under the day. That's where a little girl sat, her head hung low as she rested in what little shade was to be had on the stone steps, her hands clutching a sneaker, though her feet were bare.
Damp curls hung in her face, dingy under a layer of dust that seemed to have settled all over her. She was shaking, crying for some reason as she sat there. Her overalls and shirt were dirty and she looked like she would want nothing more that to be home with her parents.

~*~
The description is a little out of character for me, I think it sounds pretentious but I didn't want to scrap it. Please tell me what you think.

[This message has been edited by DLDzioba (edited July 17, 2007).]

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack, where advice is plentiful, cheap and above average.

The prose is nice. It is a little long and the moderator will whack it (in a very friendly way).

The omni view would allow the narrator to know why the girl is crying and whether or not she would like to be at home. It would help the reader to know to give the first 13 more of a substantial hook. You could shorten the beginning enough to allow the girl into the church and give something of an explanation of her circumstances.

Good luck.

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DLDzioba
Member # 5657

Oh, oops, how much did I go over by?
Posts: 8 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
About five lines long. The simple way to tell is to paste it into the submittal form. If a scroll bar appears, those lines not visible without scrolling are the excess.
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DLDzioba
Member # 5657

Really? I took this from my formatted word document....Odd. I guess I did something...wrong. Never mind I just figured it out. I was going to fast and it was in the wrong font.

[This message has been edited by DLDzioba (edited July 17, 2007).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
My take:
(Actual thirteen lines in quotes)
quote:

[The day was hot in a way that made even the honeysuckle droop under the sun. The last days of summer always seemed hottest as the last fragrant breaths of sickly-sweet flowers faded in the humid North Carolina heat.<--Extraneous. I won't care about any of this until I have someone to care about.] Even on the steps of St. Michael's, a little church nestled into [Rutherford's<--Name of a County? City? Person?] small town, [seemed to be <--Did it, or didn't it?] sagg[ed] under the day. That's where [a little girl<--Who? Name?] sat, her head hung low [.] [She rested in what little shade was [to be had<--Unneeded.] on the stone steps[.] [H]er hands clutch[ed] a sneaker[<--Why just one?], though her feet were bare.
Damp curls hung in [her<--What's her name?] face, dingy under a layer of dust that [seemed to have<--When is stuff ACTUALLY going to happen?] settled all over her. She [Delete] sh[ook and cried], [for some reason<--You don't need this to try an make us wonder.] as she sat there. Her overalls and shirt were dirty and she [looked like<--Whose PoV is this?] she would want nothing more that to

1) I don't know what "Realistic Fiction" is.

2) You use "Seem to" in one form or another far too many times.

3) I'm not knocking your descriptions, but, I'd much rather know who I am reading about, and what their conflict/problem is. Especially when it's a short story, you have only so much time to sell me on anything. By the end of thirteen lines I need to know who the protagonist is (or antagonist if it's that PoV), what the situation is that he's going to be dealing with (adventure, character he no longer wants to be, fight, problem that needs to be solved), then the where is it. If you can't give me the basics in the early part of the story, I don't feel you will give me everything in the latter.

Hope this helps

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited July 17, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
Two quick nits. Read this carefully:

quote:
Even on the steps of St. Michael's, a little church nestled into Rutherford's small town, seemed to be sagging under the day.

If you didn't find the mistake, then read this carefully:

quote:
Even on the steps of St. Michael's seemed to be sagging under the day.

Also, I think you meant "than" rather than "that" here:

quote:
Her overalls and shirt were dirty and she looked like she would want nothing more that to be home with her parents.

Add a few missing commas, fix a few awkward sentences, and follow InarticulateBabbler's suggestions for cuts, and I think it will be fine. It's a mild hook for me.

The first few lines describing the heat aren't needed in this short story because it's implied by the girl sitting in the shade and having damp curls.

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
This seems to me that you have all the "trimmings" written around...what? There is no story here, it is a description of a rather static scene - there is no forward momentum, no story line to latch onto and compel us to read further. On the plus side, the prose is not bad (minus the mistakes already pointed out). Like IB, I wondered what "realistic fiction" is.
Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I felt the first and second lines were basically redundant. I felt myself annoyed that you kept going on about the weather when what I wanted was for you to get on with the story.

I've had people rolling their virtual eyes at me for it, but I'd suggest doing away with as many linking verbs and non-active verbs as possible. 'was hot' 'was shaking' 'were dirty' 'would want' You obviously can't eliminate them all, but in the first thirteen lines of a story editors notice them more than they do when slipped in later on. You can get away with a LOT more sloppy writing once you've gotten a reader fully engaged in the story, and since that's the primary purpose of the first page of story, it's a good idea to make it as sharp and clean as possible. When I worked as an editor I really liked to be captured by that first sentence, and sentences that rely on linking verbs very seldom accomplished that.

As for POV, It's not really a matter of the POV choice so much as it is a matter of the choice of penetration. Omni POV doesn't necessarily mean that thoughts are laid bare. There are many depths of penetration available, and your choice is one of little or no penetration. Why? I don't know. That's for you to decide. It should be a conscious decision on your part as the writer that you can justify to yourself. Why choose a certain POV? Why choose a certain character as the POV character? What depth of penetration do I wish to accomplish?--and this can change throughout the story. What am I trying to accomplish by these choices?

I'm not saying the choice you've made is wrong. I'm really just rambling about POV. MAYBE (and I emphasize the 'maybe') your choices could be better. At this point in the story I'm not bothered by POV. It's good enough, though I wonder if a deeper penetration, or a second POV character through whom the action is being seen, might engage me to greater degree in this opening. When you put a penetrative 'distance' between me and the character, you put an emotional distance there as well, and run the risk of preventing me from caring about what's about to happen as much as I might.

Other than that I quite enjoyed the writing style, the description. Except for going on too long on the description of the heat, I really thought you did a great job of of setting tone and scene.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.