Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » First 13 - You want to know what I think?

Author Topic: First 13 - You want to know what I think?
mfreivald
Member # 3413

- posted      Profile for mfreivald   Email mfreivald         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a very early work in progress, but I'd like to get your reactions to this first 13.

Working Title: You want to know what I think?
Estimated words: 8000

Darryl Greene knew they were coming to arrest him several minutes before they arrived. A cool breeze furled the diaphanous curtain of his fifth floor window. He peered outside. He could hear the thoughts of each policeman as he watched them drive up with their cherries flashing. He could see six cars, and that was just this side of the block. Why so many? It was a rhetorical question. He knew how much they feared telepaths. Telepaths know what the police plan to do to corner them and arrest them. It was a tactical nightmare if the telepath was hostile. They started up the stairs.

To put them at ease and to save his hinges, Darryl opened his apartment door and stepped into the hallway with his arms spread at his sides and his hands open.

[This message has been edited by mfreivald (edited July 17, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by mfreivald (edited July 17, 2007).]

Posts: 394 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I won't nitpick because you're not at that stage yet.

Cut! (You knew I'd say that, right?) I'd keep only one or two of the adjectives in "cool breeze", "diaphanous curtain", and "fifth floor window". You can replace everything from "He knew how much" to "was hostile" with something like, "Hostile telepaths can be a tactical nightmare."

I don't have any real understanding of Darryl Greene's setting. (Nice name, btw.) An apartment -- okay. Is his room cluttered or neat? Is he in a metropolis or the only tall building in Council Bluffs, Iowa? Is he in a slum (I guess that's unlikely, since his curtain is "diaphanous") or the upper West Side? I don't need everything, but I feel like I need a little more something.

Is there a cultural thing indicated by "cherries flashing"? I don't know that expression, though that could just be me.

I like your second paragraph. It says something about Darryl, so that he's already a sympathetic character, without making me know too much.

Does he know what they're coming to arrest him for? (He must, actually, now that I think about it.) If so, maybe -- just maybe -- you want to let us know. This feels a little bit like you might just barely be withholding. On the other hand, if what he's being arrested for is less relevant than developing his character in these few brief moments before he's arrested, then you might not need to let us know. Your call.

I'm interested, though not exactly hooked yet. I'd keep reading if I found it in a book, and probably turn the page if I were going through a slush pile.

Regards,
Oliver

[This message has been edited by oliverhouse (edited July 18, 2007).]

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
I get the impression that they're arresting Darryl just because he is a telepath. If so, that's the conflict of your story. If he did, or is suspected of, some other crime, that would be a different sort of conflict - less of the scifi/fantasy. In that sense, I think the reason for his arrest should be included.

You quickly establish Darryl as a sympathetic character, but his passive surrender makes me wonder how he'll fight through whatever the conflict is.

A nit: 'Cherries flashing' implies red lights on the police cars. Many localities use blue lights, so 'cherries' may not communicate well.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verloren
Member # 3916

- posted      Profile for Verloren   Email Verloren         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting premise, and I'd like to read this story eventually.

Just a couple things that threw me that you may want to look at:

I didn't like the whole rhetorical question and his answering himself thing. Reminded me of the old "well, as you know Doctor, the flux capacitor is the . . . " where the character gives us some vastly important plot point through dialogue with someone else who already knows. Not very realistic. I would have preferred something where you show him using his telepathy (maybe using it to know how many other cars/people there are on the other side of the block).

Second, the point of view seemed to shift dramatically when you write "They started up the stairs." As a telepath, he could know this, and the sentence before seems to indicate he could know, but it didn't feel connected to that. So perhaps, use soem different wording or frame it a bit different so it is obvious that he is getting this through telepathy (setting it up by following my suggestion in the first point above may very well do this).

Third, do what the other reviewers have already said ;-)

--V

Posts: 99 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
"diaphanous" did not add to my picture of the room, but aside from that, I think the opening is good. Keep writing.
Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snorri Sturluson
Member # 5807

- posted      Profile for Snorri Sturluson   Email Snorri Sturluson         Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely love the line "To put them at ease and to save his hinges..." This seems almost like a character defining line and works as a hook for me (what sort of man cares about the hinges of his front door when the police are swarming over his apartment complex?)

However, to be nitpicky, you also include a lot of unnecessary words. Be economical in what you write. For example, is it important that we know Darryl's last name right away? As Oliver pointed out, you do not need so many descriptors in the second sentence. Yet, then again, do you need the second sentence? You stop the story to describe a window (and honestly, I don't care what the wind is doing). Describing the scene is important but combining descriptions of the setting with the character's actions can help you be frugal with your words (and one does need to make ever word work hard in those first 13). You also describe the police cars more than may be necessary. By the end of this fragment we know more about the appareance of those cars than Darryl's own apartment, apart from the curtains.

These 13 certainly have potential but there is also room to tighten things up a bit.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Small disagreement. When I first give a character's name, I usually give the complete name.

On the question of whether or not to give a physical description of the character, I'm of two minds. I usually don't but some writers I admire greatly do.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto Rick: use both the first and last name.

I don't necessarily need a description of Darryl. I just felt like I needed to be a little more anchored in place.

This is an early draft, so I wouldn't nitpick more than that.

[This message has been edited by oliverhouse (edited July 18, 2007).]

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sakubun
Member # 5719

- posted      Profile for sakubun           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm the group moron, but I stopped at "furled the diaphanous" and had to think what it meant and how to pronounce it.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mfreivald
Member # 3413

Thanks to the lot of you for the suggestions and comments. This rewrite is a bit of a patch job, but I think it addresses most of the crits. Better?

Darryl Greene knew they were coming to arrest him several minutes before they arrived. He had disrupted the Constituent Mind of the People. The Council of Telepathic Oversight would not allow it. A translucent curtain furled in the breeze coming into his humble Chicago apartment. He peered outside. He could hear the thoughts of each policeman as he watched them drive up with their lights flashing. He could see six cars, and that was just this side of the block. Why so many? He knew the answer. Hostile telepaths were a tactical nightmare. They started coming up the stairs.

To put them at ease and to save his hinges, Darryl opened his apartment door and stepped into the hallway with his arms spread at his sides and his hands open.

Posts: 394 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mfreivald
Member # 3413

I would like to provide a better idea of the surroundings, so I'm considering the trade-offs I would have to make to fit the first 13. I could make room by snipping out the second and third (new) lines and explaining them later, so comments regarding their value here would be especially appreciated.

[This message has been edited by mfreivald (edited July 19, 2007).]

oliverhouse
Member # 3432

I like most of the changes.

I don't love the new second and third lines. On the one hand, I hear wbriggs saying, "Just tell me!", but on the other, I think they're more disruptive than I'd like -- a little too hit-me-over-the-head.

You said this is a WIP, right? If you haven't finished the rest, then I'd say this is close enough, and you should finish the story and then come back and nitpick the opener.

kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark. I liked parts of both versions. Now tht Darryl might be a somewhat bad guy I'm less hooked than I was in the first version. The second and third sentances added more confusion than clarification for me.

My take;

quote:

Darryl Greene knew they were coming to arrest him several minutes before they arrived. Why? I'd almost like the sentance about "hearing the policemen" here and can wait for why they are arresting him.

He had disrupted the Constituent Mind of the People The what? How? . The Council of Telepathic Oversight would not allow it.

A translucent curtain furled in the breeze coming into his humble Chicago apartment. Nice image He peered outside. Why? Can't he sense where the cops are from thier thoughts? He could hear the thoughts of each policeman as (he watched them) you just told me he's watching them, so this is repetative drive up with their lights flashing. He could see six cars, and that was just this side of the block. Why so many? And so you know Bob . . . Just tell me that thier thoughts showed that they were worried about the tactical nightmare telepaths caused. BC your POV can get inside people's head, when you do, you aren't violating POV. Use this ability to your story telling advantage

He knew the answer. Hostile telepaths were a tactical nightmare. They started Either they walked up the stairs or they didn't. coming up the stairs.

To put them at ease and to save his hinges NICE Detail!!!! , Darryl opened his apartment door and stepped into the hallway with his arms spread at his sides and his hands open

I'd read on. You've given me an MC, a bit of the MC's personality, a setting, and a conflict. Nicely done.

[This message has been edited by kings_falcon (edited July 19, 2007).]

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snorri Sturluson
Member # 5807

- posted      Profile for Snorri Sturluson   Email Snorri Sturluson         Edit/Delete Post 
Falcon's comments are quite apt.

I would also have to agree with Oliver; the 2nd and 3rd lines seem a bit out of place. I stopped reading the 4th line to reread those, wondering why they were important. Getting the reader to think about your story is good but stopping the reader in the middle of your story, not so much.

If I am understanding correctly, Mr. Greene (in the Lounge, with the Revolver!) somehow aversely effected the mind of the public. This may or may not be a sort of "hive mind" structure. As that is all we really get out of the fancy-names-we-don't-understand, perhaps it would serve your purpose better if you told us his crime in simpler terms? To offer an example of what I mean, "killed a man with your car" is simler than "automobile manslaughter in the 2nd degree." Presumably the police will tell him what crime he is accused of (at some point), which could then be a perfect place to give us the names and explain them.

To Rick and Oliver; I am curious, why should a full name be used? Looking over a few books, I discovered that this apparently is always the case but I don't understand the why behind it.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

> To Rick and Oliver; I am curious, why should a full name be used? Looking over a few books,
> I discovered that this apparently is always the case but I don't understand the why behind it.

I don't know if I've ever heard a formal explanation, but for me, it's this:

1. The main character always knows his own full name; therefore, the reader should, too. A character named only "Alice" is too etherial, even if you learn her last name later (which is point 2). A character named "Alice Jackowitz" is more firmly rooted in (your imitation) reality.

2. The main character is often known to different people by different names, e.g., John, Johnny, JT, Mr. Taylor, Ensign Taylor. If you don't introduce John as John Taylor, the reader has to figure out that when the policeman calls "Mr. Taylor!" he's talking to the guy she only knows as "John".

3. If there are family relationships in the story, those can be reflected in the name implicitly instead of being called out explicitly (and therefore distractingly).

4. You get a distinctly different feel from the various names that people have. That's not a big deal in many cases, but the difference in implicit characterization between "Oliver House" and "Francisco Mbubwe" is significant.

In short, I'd say that you get great benefits from doing it, and you're paying essentially nothing.

My thoughts. There's probably a thread buried elsewhere in Hatrack somewhere on the topic, too, if you search.

Regards,
Oliver

[This message has been edited by oliverhouse (edited July 19, 2007).]

Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

"You can call me RJ you can call me Ray...
You can call me Bobby you can call me Zimmey..."

Names matter.

WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
These comments are bit late in the game, but I like the idea and also agree with many of the previous comments. I think making the scene less passive and more personal will help.

In the rewrite, you have: knew they were coming...he had disrupted...would not allow it...(a comment about the curtains)...He could hear...He could see...He knew the answer...They started coming.... Perhaps more active writing will help. Uh, to take my own counsel: Sir, write more actively, please.

Like at least one other, I don't know whether we're reading about a good guy with a just cause or a bad guy. Maybe you could take sides and let the reader know early. "Some busybody thinks I've disrupted the Constituant Mind like some common vandal." Or, "They're arresting me for this? I've gotten away with much worse."

I also agree with others that cramming the first 13 with a lexicon will turn many off.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by WouldBe (edited July 19, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by WouldBe (edited July 19, 2007).]

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mfreivald
Member # 3413

Your follow up comments have all been very instructive. Thanks!

I'm on to the rest of the draft.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.