Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » amen ra

Author Topic: amen ra
waterchaser
Member # 8729

- posted      Profile for waterchaser   Email waterchaser         Edit/Delete Post 
He kissed his brother’s sable lips and stabbed him in the heart. All was dark and Ramses was Pharaoh.
When he awoke, Ramses lay in his high, narrow bed. He stretched felinely as the light of Amen-Ra came creeping over the distant plains. Smells of bread and damp salt wafted hand-in-hand past his curtains, inviting the young man to get of his bedclothes
which his man servant had left folded perfectly beside a gold wash basin. After dressing and rinsing his face and mouth with the purified water, he relieved the rigors of the night in an ornate receptacle. At the meeting of water and metal, the ringing roused a servant who furtively retrieved the fouled bucket like a cat might take a fallen morsel.

[This message has been edited by waterchaser (edited July 29, 2009).]

Posts: 60 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
May I suggest a basic change in your opening?

quote:
Ramses lay in his high, narrow bed. He stretched felinely as the light of Amen-Ra came creeping over the distant plains.

This should be your opening. What he did to his brother the night before should be mentioned next.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
waterchaser
Member # 8729

- posted      Profile for waterchaser   Email waterchaser         Edit/Delete Post 
I would, but it was a dream. I'll have to revise that again. Thanks.
Posts: 60 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, oh. Starting a story with a dream is a basic no-no. It's been done so much that it is considered to be cliche. In fact, more than a few editors have stated such an opening gets an immediate rejection. You may want to rethink that start.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
waterchaser
Member # 8729

You are right, if you are starting with something that is misleading, long, and decieves the reader. That is cliche.

This is one sentence. It's the same sentence the story ends with. But I'll consider it.

morgansmarcos
Member # 8716

- posted      Profile for morgansmarcos   Email morgansmarcos         Edit/Delete Post 
He kissed his brother’s sable lips and stabbed him in the heart. All was dark and Ramses was Pharaoh. I like this concept of starting and ending a story with the same sentence, but this is two sentences, have you thought of: 'He kissed his brother's sable lips and stabbed him in the heart and all was dark; Rameses was Pharaoh' This is a bit of a run-on, but it feels more like a dream and emphasizes the last bit
When he awoke, Ramses lay in his high, narrow bed. He stretched felinely as the light of Amen-Ra came creeping over the distant plains. I would remove one adjective or change felinely to cat-like. Or perhaps came creeping to crept. Smells of bread and damp salt wafted hand-in-hand you don't really need 'hand-in-hand' to get the point across past his curtains, inviting the young man to get of his bedclothes
which his man servant had left folded perfectly beside a gold wash basin. After dressing and rinsing his face and mouth with the purified water, he relieved the rigors of the night in an ornate receptacle. At the meeting of water and metal, the ringing roused a servant who furtively retrieved the fouled bucket like a cat might take a fallen morsel.

In my humble opinion, this opening seems too full of adjectives. I think you cut a few of them out it would give you more time to explain the significance of the first sentence. To me, that's the hook, that's what I want to find out. Why did Ramses stab his brother (and for that matter, why did he kiss him first)? I understand that you'll probably use the entire story to explain that, but if this is supposed to be a dream I can only guess that the dreamer doesn't have either the motivation, the organization or the drive to carry out such a murder. What, then, would cause him to have such a dream? Why spend the next few sentences detailing his morning routine? Does this have major significance in the rest of the story? Is it to show just how regal his living situation is?

If you are willing to send it, I'll read the first 10-15 pages.

~Morgan

[This message has been edited by morgansmarcos (edited August 11, 2009).]

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.