Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Ghost

Author Topic: Ghost
morgansmarcos
Member # 8716

- posted      Profile for morgansmarcos   Email morgansmarcos         Edit/Delete Post 
Short Story Idea – Brainstorming

This story will be a spin-off/prequel to my novel “Saving Ava” and will center around the Character of “Ghost.” He is one of the main antagonists, an extreme zealot for his country, The Confederation, and one of the most intelligent, cunning, and icy men in the world.

I want the main conflict to be the when Ghost finally get’s to choose his name, signifying his graduation from a trainee to a full fledged elite soldier

The final incident is going to be an ultimate loyalty test. First off, Ghost and all his ‘kind’ are genetically grown human beings designed to be soldiers. They start off with nothing more than numbers for names and they all have genetically identical twins (clones made from splitting embryos). The loyalty test is a fight between clones who’ve been brought up in the same classes, gone through the same exercises and done pretty much everything from the day they were born up until their test of loyalty together.

It should be noted that individuality is a kind of reward. As numbers they are easily forgotten and slightly more expendable. When they choose a name, it is of great significance because they can then refer to themselves in the first person and they are allowed to explore their ‘identity’ in more depth (although they are still under constant surveillance from implanted bio-chips). The better and more renowned they become within their ranks, the more privacy they are allowed, but I’m getting ahead of myself. I really want this short story to show the development of this character from standard issue trainee into the complete and total zealot, Ghost.

None of the trainees know that they will eventually have to kill their twin, so an incredible bond forms between them through numerous teamwork exercises and training scenarios. (These include live as well as complete virtual reality exercises)

As a side note, all trainees and soldiers are administered a drug from their day of birth until the day they die called ‘Prize.’ This drug helps to enhance their sensory capabilities, but after just a few years of daily use it becomes completely necessary for their survival because the withdraw from missing just one day is crippling, two or more days and it becomes lethal. (This again helps to insure loyalty to their country).

I was hoping to find some suggestions or a little brainstorming help to guide me in showing this development. I don't really want the reader to identify with this character because he's one of the main antagonists in my novel, but I want the reader to gain a fearful respect for him (Think Alex from A Clockwork Orange)

What POV should I start with? End with? What kinds of incidents or missions would be good for showing the bonds between the character and his clone/brother? Most important, how should I hook the reader and make him/her care about someone whom I outwardly detest but deep down feel a kind of sympathy for?

Thank you for reading/responding?

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
waterchaser
Member # 8729

- posted      Profile for waterchaser   Email waterchaser         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean a "fearful respect"? Do you want the reader to respect yet fear him or do you want other characters in the story to fear-yet-respect him?

When I think of Alex I think of a character that disgusts me, and later, evokes pity.

Posts: 60 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morgansmarcos
Member # 8716

- posted      Profile for morgansmarcos   Email morgansmarcos         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for the tardiness of my response.

Yes. That's almost exactly what I want the reader to feel about this character, total and utter disgust followed by pity. But I guess the difference between Ghost and Alex would be that Alex had complete choice in what he became and Ghost does not, however, he accepts his place with total allegiance to his makers.

In this short story, I want the characters around him to "fear-yet-respect" him as you said. But really, I want the reader to witness the development of such warped and distorted ideals through Nazi-esque Brainwashing techniques from the POV of the Brainwashee.

I can see how first person might get this across better, but I'm open to suggestions. I need help coming up with specific scenes/incidents that would really make this hit home.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.