Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Unbound

Author Topic: Unbound
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Just looking for a response to the first 13 of this experimental piece, "Unbound". It is written in first person present tense and involves a conflict between technological and magical societies. Thank you for your comments.

Just a few changes for the second version but I took the first round of comments to heart and I think it works better. Thanks. Of course, I'm still open to ideas.

It is complete at 4200 words.

My fingers ache as they grind through the layers of hard black dirt that cover the stone, the power of which I can feel pulsing through the cold earth. Inside I’m craving the energy with a desperate emptiness caused by too many years of enforced starvation. It is desperation that wills my raw hands to continue digging while all logic tells me to stop. But logic does not understand hope so I continue to claw at the base of the cave wall.
A sound from behind me clenches my stomach in panic. Feet climbing, scrambling over the rocks. In the darkness I can’t see beyond the mouth of the cave. Preparing for a fight I grab a handful of dirt and put my back to the rock. The figure that appears is silhouetted in the moonlight. She is harmless, my partner for this assignment.

2nd Version:

My fingers ache as they grind through the layers of hard black dirt at the base of the cave wall feeling the power of the stone pulsing beneath the cold earth. The humidity of the cave ignores the coolness of the night and closes in around me as sweat drips stinging into my eyes. I wipe it away quickly never stopping my quest to reach the power. I crave the magical energy with a desperate emptiness caused by too many years of enforced starvation. It is desperation that wills my raw hands to continue digging while the logic of pain tells me to stop. But logic does not understand hope so I continue to claw at the hard packed soil.
A sound from behind me causes my stomach to clench in panic. Feet climbing, scrambling over the rocks. In the darkness I can’t see beyond the mouth of the cave. Preparing for a fight I grab a handful of dirt and put my back to the wall. The figure that appears is silhouetted in the moonlight. She is harmless, my partner for this assignment. Without a word I return to my task. I don’t have to look to know that she is staring at me not comprehending. In the distance I hear the whirring of engines. A trickle of warm liquid along my fingers tells me they are bleeding where the skin has simply ceased to exist. Time is running out.

[This message has been edited by genevive42 (edited August 13, 2009).]

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
Full disclosure: I find present tense unreadable, and can't really understand why someone would right a story that way.

My fingers ache as they grind through the layers of hard black dirt that cover the stone,I'm with you so far

the power of which I can feel pulsing through the cold earth.At first I wasn't sure what had the power. Maybe it's the "of which" construction. You could just split this sentence like this: "My fingers ache as they grind through the layers of hard black dirt. I feel the power of the stone pulsing beneath the cold earth." Or something...

Inside I’m craving We know that "craving" happens on the inside. This could just be "I crave"

the energy with a desperate emptiness caused by too many years of enforced starvation. It is desperation that wills my raw hands to continue digging while all logic tells me to stop. Why does logic say to stop? The tension you are setting up here (that she is crazy to be doing this) relies on us knowing this.

But logic does not understand hope so I continue to claw at the base of the cave wall.The realization that she's in cave, heck, that she's indoors, was jarring to me. I assumed she was outside because of the dirt.

A sound from behind me clenches my stomach in panic.This metaphor felt strange. It makes it seem like the sound is doing the clenching, when it's the stomach that is clenching in reaction to the sound.

Feet climbing, scrambling over the rocks. In the darkness I can’t see beyond the mouth of the cave. Preparing for a fight I grab a handful of dirt and put my back to the rock. The figure that appears is silhouetted in the moonlight.Ok, now we have some clear tension, a hook? I've forgotten all about that digging stuff, and wonder why it was there distracting...

She is harmless, my partner for this assignment.And, you've defused the tension. The story feels as if it's over now.

As my somewhat obnoxious comments probably tell you, I don't think you set up a clear hook here. I do wonder why she's forced to starve, what the power in the ground is, etc., but you don't give me enough clarity to care about either. This could be an artifact of my distaste for present tense, or it could be the issues I mention above.

Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
My first problem is the verb grind. I cannot picture fingers grinding. Clawing, digging, scratching, but grinding? No.

Then, that cover the stone feels like the end of the sentence.

The next part of the power pulsing – you TELL us that she feels it. How about showing. I’d really LIKE to know what she’s feeling. That intrigues me and you shut me out. If it’s that obvious, describe, please.

How about a few details to make it more real? Like broken or torn fingernails. Know how it hurts to have dirt jammed up under your nails when you’re digging even in soft dirt? Maybe even a little bleeding if it’s really hard and there are bits of rock from the cave wall.

Right, it would help to know earlier that she’s inside a cave. How deep? Near the entrance or in the darker part? Is it moist and heavy air? Any bat guano around? How about how her knees are hurting/bleeding as she kneels to dig? Or is she sitting? She thirsty yet? A dry mouth? She wipe her sweating forehead with a dirty back of one hand? Is it cold there?

Grab a handful of loose dirt as a weapon? Come on now.

You do manage to put power into the words, but it's not working for me because they do not describe much. Too vague -- my opinion.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
All good comments, thank you.

I chose to write in present tense as an experiment, simply to try it out. I do understand that it's a little awkward.

I will say that some of what has been asked for appears in the very next lines that don't fit in the first thirteen. The diffused tension is only momentary and goes back up shortly. But I do recognize that I need to clarify some things to give this more punch. I will work on it.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
genevive42,

After re-reading my comments about present tense, I have decided that I am a horses a**. I didn't mean to imply that you are stupid, ridiculous, or otherwise by choosing to write a story that way. My comment was a failed attempt to say "I don't personally enjoy reading present tense, so take my comments with a grain of salt."

Mea culpa.

Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

alliedfive, I took no offense. Your meaning was clear. No worries.
alliedfive
Member # 7811

My fingers ache as they grind through the layers of hard black dirt at the base of the cave wall feeling the power of the stone pulsing beneath the cold earth.You should probably make this two sentences. Or at least put a comma after "wall"

The humidity of the cave ignores the coolness of the night and closes in around me as sweat drips stinging into my eyes. I wipe it away [quickly]--Cut this never stopping my quest to reach the power. I crave the magical energy with a desperate emptiness caused by too many years of enforced starvation. It is desperation that wills my raw hands to continue digging while the logic of pain tells me to stop. But logic does not understand hope [so I continue to claw at the hard packed soil.]--I would cut this too, it's repetitive.

A sound from behind me causes my stomach to clench in panic. Feet climbing, scrambling over the rocks. In the darkness I can’t see beyond the mouth of the cave. Preparing for a fight I grab a handful of dirt and put my back to the wall. The figure that appears is silhouetted in the moonlight. She is harmless, my partner for this assignment. Without a word I return to my task. I don’t have to look to know that she is staring at me comma not comprehending. In the distance I hear the whirring of engines. A trickle of warm liquid along my fingers tells me they are bleeding [where the skin has simply ceased to exist]--This is implied. Cut.. Time is running out.

This is a big improvement. I have my bearings much more. I still dont really get the connection between the starvation, and the power under the earth, but you've set enough of a scene that I would read on. You still have a bit of a let-down of tension going on here, as she is safe and fine at the end of this harrowing episode. Not sure how you could fix that without knowing where this is going.

arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I see you still use grind. Oh well, it’s your story.

But I think you try to do too much in that first sentence with the fingers grinding and the unspecified feeling of the power (pulsing). I’m trying to figure how WHY this bothers me. It isn’t like you can’t have more than one – yeah, That’s it. Are you trying to connect the fingers (which are aching) WITH the feeling (by the fingers or by more of the body?) feeling – unspecified feeling – of the power (vague reference) pulsing? That may be causing part of the problem here.

So are the fingers feeling ache AND the pulsing? To me that seems a bit contradictory. If my fingers are really seriously aching – and your MC’s seem to be – it’s hard to feel a…. Ummm Perhaps if you detail the feeling evoked by the stone as the primary, overriding sensation I might buy this better. It IS the feeling (please, give us at least a hint of what that feeling IS because we all know what aching fingers feels like) of the power (undefined) that is driving her. By putting the finger ache first you’ve sort of diminished the more important sensation.

In the hierarchy of sensations she’s experiencing, the power must be (surely, since it is driving her to the other) primary and deserve first mention, don’t you think?

That make any sense?

On to my next big problem. It is your use of the term “logic.” Logic of pain is slightly better. We know a bit more of the nature of the logic you kept dragging into the first version.

However, why use the term at all?

It is desperation that wills my raw hands to continue digging while pain tells me to stop. But pain does not trump hope so I continue to claw at the hard packed soil.

Nit – now she’s clawing rather than grinding. Do you really want to change methods of excavation in one paragraph?

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked ver. 2.
Arriki and alliedfive's observations are well pointed out, however, none of their points made me stop reading. I would continue to read on.

Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.