Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Resurrection - 1,900 word Fantasy

Author Topic: Resurrection - 1,900 word Fantasy
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to endure a rejection today. So I drowned my sorrows in this little story. I'd like a reader or two if you're interested.

Miles he'd come and miles he'd yet to go in an aimless journey. Each and every step confirmed the relentless companion pain had become. Yet with each and every step the goal was that much closer. The source of Puvon's real pain, the pain that continued to gnaw at him from the inside out was always just behind.

Monster, life-thief, bag of vomit. The words continued to pierce his skin and his heart, but redemption called. The hope and dream of some kind of resurrection came at him like a siren's song. Through his haze of pain, the death, the eating of her diseased flesh--they did not understand what drove him on. A new day of pain within and pain without became his focus, until he came to Afalon.

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited August 19, 2009).]

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
The first thing that struck me with this opening was how does he know he has miles to go if he is travelling on an aimless journey? And does an aimless journey have a goal?

resurrection came at him like a siren's song. "Came at him" is weak and there's usually a stronger aternative.

Through his haze of pain, the death, the eating of her diseased flesh--they did not understand what drove him on. I've read this sentence a few times now, and I'm still not sure what it means. Who died? Who has been eating diseased flesh? Who does the "her" refer to? Who does the "they" refer to?

You have six "pain"'s in this opening, I think that might be a bit excessive.

My overriding impression of this one is that it feels a little cluttered. I think you need to simplify the sentences, lure the reader in to the story before making them work too hard. At the moment I don't feel a major hook--some guy is in pain and walking through a nameless, faceless place.

Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I must amend my classification. This has some disturbing images, so consider this fantasy/horror
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.