Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Scarow

Author Topic: Scarow
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Alixiander watched the man on the headland for a moment, before resuming his hunt in the rockpool. Using the stick-end of his net, he prodded a likely looking cluster of loose, barnacle-festooned rocks. A small brown crab scuttled out and dashed to another bunch of stones, raising a cloud of silt in its wake.
“Ah, lunch--there you are.” He smiled. Well, it would be soon.
Leaning down, he hooked his net over the rock pile and, with his other hand, shoved the rocks, the crab and everything in it.
He glanced to the headland; the man was still there--watching.
Of course, people had been to his beach before. There’d been the young man--a German pilot--who’d floated in about sixty years ago, injured. And before that, three Spanish sailors gripping a spar--half-drowned--but that’d been years before. Centuries even.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
I would read on.

A couple thoughts:

Is there a compelling reason why the name can't just be Alexander? I stumbled on the first word of your story because of the different spelling.

For not having seen another soul in sixty years, he's awfully casual about seeing the guy. I would think that if he'd been alone that long he would have a pretty strong reaction. He seems fairly indifferent, which makes me indifferent, and blunts your hook.

Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Both valid points. I will revise accordingly. I am not so concerned about the blunted hook (as long as the desire to read on is established) as the story starts slow and kind of small scale, yet quickly develops. That said, I can sharpen the hook a little.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this done? I can read if it is.
Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Not ready, sorry. When it is, I'll email you and see if you are still interested. Okay?
Adam

alliedfive
Member # 7811

Sounds good. Just send it whenever.
Andrew_McGown
Member # 8732

- posted      Profile for Andrew_McGown   Email Andrew_McGown         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good.
My only nit is that i wouldn't mention the man on the headland up first.

maybe something like this would be a stronger hook:

quote:

Alixiander prodded a rockpool with the stick-end of his net. He poked a likely looking cluster of loose, barnacled rocks. A small brown crab scuttled out and dashed to another bunch of stones, raising a cloud of silt in its wake.
“Ah, lunch--there you are.” He smiled. Well, it would be soon.
Leaning down, he hooked his net over the rock pile and, with his other hand, shoved the rocks, the crab and everything in it.
He glanced to the headland; there was a man there--watching.
Of course, people had been to his beach before. There’d been the young man--a German pilot--who’d floated in about sixty years ago, injured. And before that, three Spanish sailors gripping a spar--half-drowned--but that’d been years before. Centuries even.

Posts: 185 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
It's good, Skaddir. Sounds like that old one you posted on here, long ago.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited August 28, 2009).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.