Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Genie and the Lamp...

Author Topic: The Genie and the Lamp...
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
"Jasal?" Her father turned, the on-shore breeze tugging his hair.
"Yes, Pa?" she giggled.
His smile vanished. "Jasal, I am not your father." He swept some hair from his eyes. "I'm the interstellar spacecraft 1/10 Procyon Invicarion. You're currently psychotic, in a drift-state. Please re-construct your mental state. Something is up."
Something is up? Re-construct my what? What the....
Something was forced into her mind; an image of a translucent-skinned woman immersed in an icy, pink gel. Black, tubes entwined her pale limbs, like mambas burrowing in and out of the the anaemic flesh. The head was sheathed in a smooth, brown mask that curved away, bifurcating into a swarm of black worms. Her legs were drawn up as she curled within a pale ovoid, like some half-formed avian foetus.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited August 27, 2009).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, I really liked this one. Great twist.

You have extraneous commas after "translucent-skinned", "pale ovoid like some" and "half-formed".

I would read on.

Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks--I have corrected, the commas I think. But I did it without making another version as it was only small stuff.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
On second read, I don't think you need either of the commas in this sentence: "Black, tubes entwined her pale limbs, like mambas burrowing in and out of the the anaemic flesh"

I think you have the same disorder as me where I unconsciously put a comma in when my brain pauses, instead of where I want the reader to pause.

Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew_McGown
Member # 8732

- posted      Profile for Andrew_McGown   Email Andrew_McGown         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Jasal?" Her father turned, the on-shore breeze tugging his hair.
"Yes, Pa?" she giggled.
His smile vanished. "Jasal, I am not your father." He swept some hair from his eyes. "I'm the interstellar spacecraft 1/10 Procyon Invicarion. You're currently psychotic, in a drift-state. Please re-construct your mental state. Something is up."

I feel that this is a problematic start because the reader does not get drawn in to the fantasy before being TOLD it is an illusion. The reader does not participate by getting invested in the father/daughter realtionship.

If her imagined realtionship IS important to the story, then beef it up, make it stronger allow us to 'feel' it.

If it is not important then ditch it, or at least don't put it up front and make us think it is important.

quote:
Something was forced into her mind; an image of a translucent-skinned woman immersed in an icy, pink gel. Black, tubes entwined her pale limbs, like mambas burrowing in and out of the the anaemic flesh. The head was sheathed in a smooth, brown mask that curved away, bifurcating into a swarm of black worms. Her legs were drawn up as she curled within a pale ovoid, like some half-formed avian foetus.

She is not the agency at work in this passage. Something else is doing this to her. She is just bobbing along having stuff 'forced' on her. How about something like:

"Invicarion disrupted her drift-state dreaming and lit her mind with a new vision. The beach disappeared,the sea replaced with an icy, pink gel." or something

I'm not sure how she knows it is icy.

quote:

Black, tubes entwined her pale limbs, like mambas burrowing in and out of the the anaemic flesh"

Does this mean 'like how mambas are black', or 'like how mambas burrow' or 'like how mambas entwine'? Mambas are grey or green. (black mambas are named after the black colouration inside their mouths). They also live in trees, they don't burrow. Mambas are venomous and not constrictors, they don't entwine limbs. The image would be stronger, IMO, if you said 'python'. This brings to mind the idea of entwining and has a cultural connotation of the 'pythoness', the visionary priestess at the omphalos at Delphi, which may work for you.

Perhaps try making it two sentences along the lines of:

Black tubes entwined her pale limbs like mambas. They threaded in and out of her anaemic flesh."

I did have trouble with 'like some half-formed avian foetus'. It is either a foetus or an embryo. You can have a mal-formed or ill-made foetus but I don't think you can have a half-formed one. Unless you meant 'like some semi-avian foetus'.

In all, I would say that the first part (the illusion) is under-developed and could be fleshed out in order for the second part (the new vision) to have the intended impact.

I do think I would read more, mainly because I enjoy the geiger-esque colours and imagery.

I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Andrew_McGown (edited August 27, 2009).]

Posts: 185 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.