Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Winding Down- 3200 words

Author Topic: Winding Down- 3200 words
AJ Valliant
Member # 8767

- posted      Profile for AJ Valliant   Email AJ Valliant         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the intro to a Zombie story I wrote a while back. It's a bit meditative but there is lot of dark humor in it. I'm happy with the bulk the story, but the very end has some character issues I've having trouble smoothing out.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

When I young I wanted to die a hero. I’m not sure if it was the dying or the heroism that appealed to me. I suppose I just wanted a goal I was sure to partially accomplish. I told a teacher this once: she said that people who wanted to die couldn’t be heroes. I told her that people who wanted to live couldn’t stay them. I don’t know that either of us properly understood my point at the time; I’ve been dead for two hours and I still don’t entirely grasp it.

I should mention I died at the mall. It was not heroic; it was barely eventful. I just wound down and stopped. It was like my knot came untied and the world went slack.

[This message has been edited by AJ Valliant (edited August 28, 2009).]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice, especially the I've been dead for 2 hours part. I'd maybe drop the semi colon for a , or an and personally, but it wasn't too major.

I'd maybe drop "I should mention" from the last bit, maybe.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with ME about the colon, however I dig the rest so much as is. I think you should keep the I should mention. It adds to the voice of the piece.

I'll read. I love a good zombie story, and this one seems promising.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't 13 lines--is there a reason you cut it a few lines short?

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a great opening. Count me in if you're looking for readers.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AJ Valliant
Member # 8767

- posted      Profile for AJ Valliant   Email AJ Valliant         Edit/Delete Post 
Skadder:

"It isn't 13 lines--is there a reason you cut it a few lines short?"

I would had to had to cut out at a oddly jarring point in the paragraph otherwise. I almost went with just the fist section, but figured I should provide a little more context.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AJ Valliant
Member # 8767

Genevive and Shimiqua

“This is a great opening. Count me in if you're looking for readers.”

“I'll read. I love a good zombie story, and this one seems promising.”

Excellent, thank you. Uh..I’m not sure how this works: do I just email it to you as a word doc, or is there some more arcane method the workshop prefers?

skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it, but it reads like the voice over you get at the begining of a movie when the camera pans over a body.

"That's me, yup. I died..."

I can't remember the movie, but that is what springs to mind. It has a retrospective, summary quality, that is similar to your other recent intro.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AJ Valliant
Member # 8767

"It has a retrospective, summary quality, that is similar to your other recent intro."

It's not entirely intentional, but I do like to start with an implied statement of who the character was, before I begin the journey into who they will become. It's not something I force into every story, but both this one and Bristles are more internal character studies, so it felt appropriate.

Good observation.

[This message has been edited by AJ Valliant (edited August 28, 2009).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.