Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Writers - Publications & Reviews » My first short story!

Author Topic: My first short story!
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I just sold my first short story! Wait, that needs more exclamation points.... I just sold my first short story!!!!!! Now you have to picture me jumping up and down a little.

It's called "Just Right" and a magazine called "The First Line" wants to print it. It's only ten dollars, but golly. They liked it! There's a contract and everything.

Yours very cheerfully,
Mary Robinette

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Mary! That's terrific!
Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations.
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Your first story, and in The First Line -- that sounds just right to me! Congrats!!!!! And may you enjoy many more exclamation marks.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! Good one, Kolona. Thanks everyone, I'm still spinning with delirious glee.
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Gah! Can't believe I didn't see this one until now! Here's a big "woot woot" your way!
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go!!!!!!!!!

$10 and your name in print sounds good to me.

Out of curiosity, was it for the issue with the line "Why do you always have to be so cynical?" or something very similiar to that?

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Christine, yep, that's the one. Did you write something for that one too, or just remember my 13 lines in Fragments and Feedback? This is the third time I've submitted to them. I've been doing it as a sort of writing exercise with a deadline attached.

Mary

Christine
Member # 1646

Actually, I did submit something, but I haven't heard yay or nay yet....I really only did it as a writing exercise so it doesn't break my heart either way. It's great to hear that a fellow hatrack writer got in tho.
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeppie for you!
Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
SWEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Hey Christine. May I read yours? I picked up a copy of the last issue, and the "best of" issue. It's amazing how diferent all the stories are.

Yours,
Mary

Christine
Member # 1646

Just as soon as I get an official negative from them, I'll go ahead and e-mail it to you....actually, I think the conept is kind of cute and if they don't want it I'm going to rewrite it (with a different first line) and try it somewhere else. It's call "Are We Dead Yet?" and it's meant to be a bit whimsical, although I think it gets too rough in the middle.
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Oooo.... love the title.

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited May 14, 2004).]

Eric Sherman
Member # 2007

- posted      Profile for Eric Sherman   Email Eric Sherman         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 78 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nexus Capacitor
Member # 1694

- posted      Profile for Nexus Capacitor   Email Nexus Capacitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go!
Posts: 144 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.