Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Writers - Publications & Reviews » Mary Robinette Kowal

Author Topic: Mary Robinette Kowal
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Bragging on Mary here. She just sold a novel to Tor Books.

http://www.libertyhallwriters.org/2009/02/another-wimmens-makes-the-grade/

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
honu
Member # 8277

- posted      Profile for honu   Email honu         Edit/Delete Post 
wow a novel and Tor there are writer Gods walking amongst us mere mortals congrats!!
Posts: 690 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Hip Hip Hooray! Way to go, Mary! I'll be sure to pick up a copy...or two.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
Jane Austen with magic? Has to be a winner--I'm looking forward to this one, I love Mary's writing.
Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, thanks, Mike. I totally didn't see this. It's really sweet of you!

Second... My short story, "Evil Robot Monkey" has been nominated for a Hugo!!!!

::faints::

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
All that hard work pays off!
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
'Evil Robot Monkey'...wasn't that a thread on Hatrack? Did you find inspiration here?

Congrats on the nomination.

Adam

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!!!
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Skadder, I don't remember the Hatrack thread, but the title definitely came from an inside joke, which may have started here.

See, at Shimmer Magazine we had a running gag which stemmed from when we were testing the submission system. Beth sent in a trial submission called "Harry Potter and the Evil Robt Monkeys!" (The misspelling is intentional. You'd be amazed by how many people send in stories with misspellings within the first five lines.) Brilliant.

I was doing flash challenges at Liberty Hall and I decided that whatever the trigger was that week, my story would have that title. The trigger itself was a piece of clockwork art.

Here's the first bit of the story.

"Sliding his hands over the clay, Sly relished the moisture oozing around his fingers. The clay matted down the hair on the back of his hands making them look almost human. He turned the potter's wheel with his prehensile feet as he shaped the vase. Pinching the clay between his fingers he lifted the wall of the vase, spinning it higher."

You can see that I kept the hairy potter.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Mary, you're terrible. Hairy potter, indeed.

Congrats on the Hugo nod. Exciting time for you!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
honu
Member # 8277

- posted      Profile for honu   Email honu         Edit/Delete Post 
lol hairy potter great and congrats!!!
Posts: 690 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Hairy potter, that is disgusting.

Congrats on Evil Robot Monkey.

If it wins I assume it would be the first hugo with a title anything like that.

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Mary!!! Woot!
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I remember the Evil Robt Monkeys. How cool, Mary!!!!! And a book deal to boot!!! You are rockin' it, Chicky!!!!
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck on that Hugo, MaryRobinette. Will I see you at Worldcon?
Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.