Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » What makes fantasy....fantasy?

Author Topic: What makes fantasy....fantasy?
W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

- posted      Profile for W.P. Morgenstien   Email W.P. Morgenstien         Edit/Delete Post 
I know there have been previous discussions along something of this line before, but today this came up in a big way for me.

What exactly makes fantasy just that? Is there a set formula that I don't know about, or is it wide open? Is it required to have sorcery, magic, and a horrible evil villain? What of dragons and valiant knights in shining armor? Is Robin Hood fantasy or 'just plain fiction'? Or must it more closely resemble D&D?

It seems that a bit of work that I am particularly fond of has come into question, and since I can't finish writing it until I know what heading I can put it under I have a bit of writer's cramp.

Please! Help me out!
What is it - what ingredients earn any given piece of literature the title of "fantasy"?

Posts: 63 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm always ready to state my own musings on this subject. And those of you who have read them before will not be surprised by anything I say

Modern fantasy is meant to be taken as explicitly impossible. Both the reader and the writer agree beforehand that nothing in the story can happen, so there is no point in worrying about it. It is fundamentally different from speculative fiction in this sense, and is historically a result of the age of skepticism, when it was believed that some things were impossible. Believing that nothing in the story can happen anyway, we are relieved from the imperitive to take it seriously. We only read it because we want to. We enjoy it, and that is all.

In a fantasy we are looking to be insulated from the suffering that the protagonists endure, while enjoying the happiness that they win. In speculative fiction we are looking for warnings, strategies, and courage to deal with the potentials that we fear.

An interesting effect of this denial that fantasy is real is that it can affect readers, yet they are not able to admit that it affects them. As we all know, denial is one of the most powerful infuences on a persons behavior. Basically, it works like so. I read a book in which squirrels are portrayed as demonic shills for the evil Jade princess. I stop liking squirrels. When asked why I no longer like squirrels, I don't admit, even to myself, that it's because of some silly book, so I make up a better reason. Perhaps a great many. No matter how many of my reasons you argue me out of, you can never get at the real reason, because I would never tell you. I won't even admit it to myself. I just have a powerful dislike of squirrels.

Nifty, eh?

[This message has been edited by Survivor (edited October 08, 1999).]

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

- posted      Profile for W.P. Morgenstien   Email W.P. Morgenstien         Edit/Delete Post 
But that can't be all there is to it.

A man walking into a cafe is neither impossible nor improbable, but I just read about it in a fantasy novel. There has to be something that says - this is fantasy, and it has to be enough to distinguish it from any other given type of literature.

So what is it?

Survivor
Member # 213

Not everything in a fantasy is impossible. In fact, it is only a convention that the story itself, as a whole, could not have happened.

So, if you have a completely normal story in all other respects, with a single fantastic element that signals that the reader is to understand that this is a fantasy, then it's a fantasy.

Take... oh, what was the name? "LA Story", the Steve Martin film about that guy and he gets guidance from a traffic sign that used to be a bagpipe. It was a fantasy, but that was the only 'impossible' element.

It is the convention itself, not anything about whether the story is inherently believable, that makes it fantasy. There are a lot of times that I'm reading a non fantasy novel or story and I just go, Plegh, impossible. That doesn't make it a fantasy. It just makes it bad.

There is a flip side to this all as well. In fantasy we want primarially to relate to the characters. That is the sole function that it can have, because we already accept prima facie that there is nothing else that we are learning from the story, because we label it as impossible. So the characters have to have a lot of human quality.

Okay, I need to stop now.

Wini Cameron
Member # 116

- posted      Profile for Wini Cameron   Email Wini Cameron         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi W.P.,

I looked in on this item when you first posted it, but I knew you and Survivor would volley it around. You are both very articulate and fast thinking (or so it seems to me), and more educated in the English Literature, grammar end of knowledge than I am. So, I figured I wouldn't be able to add much to the conversation. But here I am again. I was curious to see what was said.

Just FYI, the MW Collegiate Dictionary gives a long group of definitions for fantasy. Such as: "1: HALLUCINATION, 2: FANCY; esp.: the free play of creative imagination..." - and so on until we get to 3d "imaginative fiction featuring esp. strange settings and grotesque characters - called also fantasy fiction."

Below that, fantasy as a verb states: "to portray in the mind; to indulge in a fantasy or reverie: DAYDREAM."

I think the last discussion of this general subject concerned the difference between science fiction and fantasy. Orson Scott Card said something like - Science Fiction is Fantasy with science as the magic. (I didn't put that in quotes, because I didn't search it out for accuracy.)

I know that doesn’t help with your current quest, but I doubt you’ll get a satisfactory answer.

I don’t like the idea of categorizing things to such a degree that an author wastes valuable time trying to figure out in what category his/her story is written. However, like Survivor, I don’t mind stating my own opinion on the subject.

When I hear the word “fantasy” in relationship to books, I first think of fairies, witches, dragons, anything medieval or Gothic in feeling (by the way, grotesque is in the MS Word Thesaurus under medieval or Gothic), with heroes, villains, Royalty and peasants. However, my second thought is one that carries these things over into modern times in some way or another (for example: THE NEVER ENDING STORY).
My third though is that fantasy is anything that draws you away from your own reality, an escape from your stressed or demanding or pitiful or boring life. (That’s like the DAYDREAM definition.)

Fiction is and invented story, with an assumption of a possibility as a fact, irrespective of the question of its truth. Fantasy fiction does imply less of a possibility of reality as we know it, and yet, it must seem possible enough the way it is presented, to make us hate rabbits if we know them to be villainous.

If you are talking about the story I have read a chapter on, weren’t you also worried about whether it was to be considered “historical fiction”, because it was set in a real place and time? Why don’t you just write it the way you want to write it? Then let your editor or publisher categorize it. You’re a good writer and don’t need to bog yourself down with all this nonsense. Forget about it and just write the story.

TAFN
Wini

Posts: 71 | Registered: Jun 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Yes. Basically, whether or not your work is a fantasy comes down to how the reader receives it. I am writing a science fiction story that is totally hard science. But much of the technology funtions like magic in the context of the story, so even though I do not regard anything in the story as even implausible, let alone impossible, I will write it as a fantasy.

The hard science background is just for my sake, because I'm really rotten at imagining things that I think are impossible. But the story I want to tell, one of unrequited love and devotion to honor in the face of overwhelming odds, is well suited to the fantasy genre. I suppose that it could work in a science fiction setting as well, in fact, I know that it can, but the narrative elements are fantasylike, and so that is how the story is going to be recieved, if at all.

But go ahead and reveal the mystery to us. What is this story that you're stuck on?

W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

Okay, here's the gist. Just remember, you asked for it.

It begins with a young princess fleeing for her life because a legitimate heir to the throne has been born. Continues in the thread of: what must be done to save the young innocent from being raised by a tyrant to be a tyrant. That of course is the bare basics.

The time is medieval-ish, the setting primitive (thatched huts, horses, swords, etc.). The heros are knights and ladies, and the background is a rumor of war between monarchist kingdoms. Sounds pretty
'fantasy' to me. Right?

Yet a recent critic told me that I should add something to "show" that it was a fantasy, or "just plain fiction". I think she might have been expecting sorcerers, magicians, and mythological creatures. But here is a problem:

There is no place here for creatures (although a dragon or two might just show up if the urge strikes me), and I despise sorcery and the like. The odd alchemist I can handle, they do make rather interesting characters. But magic for the sake of magic is out. (I think its a cheaters way out of problems the heros aren't good enought to figure out!)

So where does this line of thinking leave me? Do I still qualify - since one critic doesn't seem to think so?

Opinions?

Nomda Plume
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nomda Plume           Edit/Delete Post 
If the story were set in some actual historical kingdom, even if the whole tale was invented, then it would be historical fiction. As it is, your kingdom, (like Ruritania), and also your story, is fantasy. Set your mind at rest. And quit paying so much attention to critics!
Posts: 70 | Registered: Sep 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Is this the same one that threw a hissy fit about historical accuracy? Cause I think I told you where to stick her already.

And for the rest, I do have to say, that if you are using a plausible setting, one that most of your audience will not dismiss out of hand as being impossible, then it is not fantasy in a literary sense, and you should avoid a couple of pitfalls which I will describe momentarily. If it does contain elements that signify that the story is impossible, then it is fantasy, and there are other pitfalls that you must avoid.

A fantasy often glosses over the degree of suffering a protaganist or other character suffers. This is not allowable unless the reader has already distanced themselves from the possibility of the story. Yes, much literature that you read nowadays is full of lightly passed over suffering, but that doesn't make it acceptable. When the reader has not been clearly signaled that they are reading a fantasy, they are not ready to tolerate having the characters suffer with the same detachment that is allowed a reader of a fantasy.

Fantasy also is free to make shift with extraordinary characters, such as a medival scientist that invents a flying machine. I know, there actually were several instances of such scientists, but that is besides the point. Non-fantasy characters have non-fantastic abilities, live in the grit and grime of the real world like your readers, and have to solve things the way that the average or just slightly above average person of that milieu would.

Now for some fantasy conventions. Fantasies have happy endings. This is not an optional rule. In a fantasy, your reader already knows that you have the power of Deus ex Machina, the license to make things come out all right. If you do not do well by the characters that they like and justly by the characters they hate, then they will properly and justly blame you. If your story doesn't have a happy ending, then you must persuade the readers that it was a natural result of the way the world works, that it just happened that way, that you don't have godlike powers to make everything come out all right in the end. Break this rule at the peril of gaining the undying emnity of your audience.

Fantasy is funny. It is lighthearted, and the dangers, as terrifying as they would probably be in real life, are not to touch your readers in the same way. This is to some extent a principle derived from the first rule, but it is a separate principle. Many a writer has broken this one, and hewn to the other. The thing is, in a non-fantasy setting, the audience can be kept in suspense, on the edge of their seats, what have you, because after all, the unhappy ending might happen. In fantasy, they already know that you aren't going to have the unhappy ending. It's against the rules. Your tension has to derive from complications that force the reader to turn the page to find out how things end up. Romantic complications are a favorite. Tangled intrigues, complicated battles, brilliant solutions to flummoxing puzzles, are all good ways to introduce tension. These are good in non fantasy as well, but in fantasy they are critical. Because the tension cannot be over whether things work out for the best, it has to be a question of how things work out for the best.

To some extent, you have to look at your story and decide whether it works better as a fantasy or a realistic piece of fiction, rather than trying to look and see which you think it is. Then place a few elements that set the mood. If magic isn't your thing, go with history. Alternate history is a good marker to use, showing that wherever your story happens, it isn't in the real world. Or there are other ways. Dragons are a good one

And for non fantasy, just make sure that the audience doesn't dismiss it as fantasy. Miracles are accepted as valid phenomena in the beliefs of most people, and if you go ahead and go light on it, you can get away with them in realistic literature. You know, everyone that was there turns out to have a different story, there was no proof, there are a dozen rational (if exceedingly implausible) explanations offered by the investigators, whatever. Same for magic. You can have magic as long as you show why it isn't part of the everyday experience of your audience. Show, not tell. If you explicate your explanations, then you are thinking like a fantasy writer, and not a good one. The reader has to believe on their own. You can't force that, and apology is the weakest position to start from.

Well, I'm sure that you're tired of reading my rules by now. Heck, I don't ever bother to think about all this when I'm writing. I don't even think about it when I'm reading. I only think about it when I'm criticizing. Of course, it's still true all the other times.

W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

Thanks for the 'rules' - it helped sort things out a bit.

No, this isn't the same person that gave the other advice. The first was my sister, and if you recall, you agreed with her.

Okay, out it is with the second critic. But I'm still a little curious about what is and what is not considered 'impossible', since that seems to be the hinge of the whole thing.

Survivor
Member # 213

Impossible is defined by your reader. If they suspend their disbelief, then you are writing something other than fantasy.

I used the term, suspension of disbelief on purpose. In fact, when we suspend our disbelief in a story, that is the result of the writer making an appeal to us as readers, that we should do so. Fantasy is free from this convention, because it goes without saying in fantasy that we don't believe one word of it. That's why we call it a fantasy, the least believible form of story.

You signal to the reader which kind of story it is going to be, and then you maintain that distinction. Of course, there are ways to get around this. Many a narrative begins with a fairy tale like premise, then makes the story more real, until we are convinced that it is not a fairy tale after all. I'm not sure that I know any examples of the converse, however. It would seem to me, that once you draw a reader in to caring about the characters and believing in them, it's too late to backtrack. At least, I can't think of any good examples...

And I don't recall agreeing with your sister at all. I seem to remember calling her an narrow minded nitpicker, or words to that effect. Umm...no offense, I mean, I'm sure that she's a fine sister, but she isn't much of a literary critic, or...well, I'll just leave it at that

ducky
Member # 279

- posted      Profile for ducky   Email ducky         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Survivor,

You may have called me a narrow-minded nitpicker, but you were seriously making my point better than I had.

My concern about WPs story (for which I am not-to-patiently awaiting the next chapter)was that if set in a recognizable setting she better be aware of what was in the direction she was setting her main character to travel. You cannot start out from Paris, travel west and end up in Moscow for instance.

By the way, don't let my presence inhibit you in any way. I probably should not have revealed myself. I just couldn't resist rising to that bait. We're a fiesty lot.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Oct 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

You can, too, trek west from Paris and get to Moscow!! It just takes you a little longer to get there!

I'm still not entirely sure that I agree that belief should be suspended for a fantasy story. If no one is going to care one way or the other about my characters, then why am I bothering to write at all. I think that I prefer to think (Is that redundant, or what?) that I'd rather keep my readers guessing. Could it have happened?

Maybe I'm odd. (Shut up, Ducky!) I like the fantastic idea of dragons and knights on white chargers, etc., etc. I'd like to think that those had been real some long-ago day. So does it really have to be disbelieved?

ducky
Member # 279

the trick with fantasy is to make people want to believe it's possible. After all we all like to fantasize, don't we. You worry too much! Just write the story to please yourself. Who cares whether it's fantasy or not. It's a great story just waiting to be told. Let the readers decide if it's fantasy if they really care. Just capture us with the story!
Survivor
Member # 213

Well, in fantasy, we can care about the characters, but we are not worried about them. We know that good is going to triumph, evil be vanquished, and justice served at just the right temperature.

Hmm, well, see my above post for the explination of that. As for Knights on white chargers, sure, there was plenty of that. And as long as you don't get real specific about the actual time or place (which is totally okay when dealing with medeival times, since most of those people had really inaccurate ideas about the world anyway) you aren't as constrained by questions of historical accuracy. You can even have your characters think they can get to Moscow by walking west from Paris, but if they try it then they're going to die.

I'm making a statement about what the reader is willing to accept in a fantasy as opposed to a nonfantasy work. There are rules in fantasy. I take it that you would rather not deal with those. There are other rules for speculative or historical fiction. You don't get away from the rules, you just switch from one set to the other.

If you are going to write non-fantasy, then you must have suspension of disbelief. This is not a negotiable point. The reader must believe that the story is possible, and that means that your reality is limited to what a reader can believe. This is not a heavy burden. With a little hand waving, you can persuade people that almost anything is possible. But you have to do the hand waving, or else you must let the reader know that you have foregone the handwaving because you are writing a fantasy.

Ducky, I have to apologize if I'm just agreeing with you. I do disagree with W.P.'s report of what you said, so you see, I am trying.

ducky
Member # 279

That's OK, Suvivor, I guess I didn't explain my ideas to her well enough. That sometimes happens between sisters.

It has been great fun just eavesdropping on these forums, but I must say I'm being active in the communications is better!

ducky
Member # 279

By the way, If any of you have ideas on how to get passed writer's block lets hear them!
Survivor
Member # 213

Writer's block is usually caused by one thing. You don't know how to tell the next part of the story. This is caused by one of three things.
[list type=A]
  • You don't know what is going to happen next.
  • You know what happens next but you're afraid that you're not articulate enough to describe it properly.
  • You don't have the reason for it to happen.

I'm sure that there are other reasons, but I think these ones are useful because you can do something about them. If you don't know what's supposed to happen next, just write an outline of your major action to that point, and then write in the next action. Voila, You know what you want to write!

If you don't think that you're a good enough writer, then just write it, full speed ahead and darn the bad usages. Then, go back over it and identify everything wrong with it, and make corrections. It's tedious and painful, but hey, it works.

If you can't justify what is about to happen, go back into what you've already written and find somewhere to put the justification. Or, sometimes, you just find the justification that's already there. This one is the most delicate, much like performing surgery.

All writer's block occurs because we tend to want to write perfectly the first time. Using an outline, character sketches, and other resources like maps and histories is tedious but very helpful. You can also avoid writer's block by not ever caring whether your output is any good, but I don't recommend it

This relates to fantasy particularly. In a fantasy, you are choosing from any number of impossible worlds, and you must have a clear idea of what is in your world, what the rules are, magic rules, history, technology, terrain features, populations, ect. The longer and more involved your story is, the more of this a priori knowledge you must have. A priori meaning, in this case, before you get your pen wet.

In a realistic work, you have the advantage of only having one world to work from. You still have to have the knowledge, but it's the same knowledge that you use in real life, so it's not a matter of having to invent a whole other world. You do have to be sure that you use accurate knowledge, but once you are sure that the information is really accurate, you don't have to worry about whether it's consistent. It will be, unless there is some inaccuracy (unfortunately, critical facts, which you may not know of, do count as inaccuracies if your audience doesn't know them either).

In either case, it helps to know as much as you can, even about things that you are just not going to write about, like frame dragging, the Peltier effect, or why you can't cast lunar spells in the presence of dried bones. The corollary to this is that you should not put everything that you happen to know into a story, something that many a fantasy writer has trouble resisting. Only put what is relevant to the story.

Well, if that doesn't give you a case of writer's block, then you are just not taking me seriously

• W.P. Morgenstien
    Member # 231

So, why can't you cast lunar spells in the presence of dried bones?
    ducky
    Member # 279

What if we soak the bones first?
    Survivor
    Member # 213

Well, your character might not know, even though you worked out a whole rational system of magic.

So like, maybe Lunar magic is cast by summoning the spirits of moonlight, but they can't come into the presence of dried bones, because they're pale like the moon, but still belong to the dead. And like, that means that soaking them wouldn't work.

Why only dry bones? Maybe because the dead are consigned to wander for a year after they die, before they can return to rest in their bones again. And that means that an exorcism might work, although that seems a little cruel.

Anyway, my point is that you should know the reason, even if you never mention it in your work.

ducky
    Member # 279

So, how much of the rules do you really need to know? And how much do you need to pass on to the readers?

I personally do not like everything explained in a story. I want to know it works but I'm not often really interested in how. I hate reading a story that overwhelms you with the hows and whys of everything. That being true, how deep is it necessary is it for the author to know the why and how of things?

W.P. Morgenstien
    Member # 231

Well, I do agree that you have to know the rules well enough to abide by them throughout the story! I hate it when I'm reading along, and suddenly the author changes the rules. Way to leave me confused! If you're going to have a set of something concrete enough to mention, then keep them foremost enough to remember them!

Survivor
    Member # 213

You are required to know everything about how and why things happen in your world. And you are not required to pass any of that along to your readers. In fact, it's better if you don't pass any of it along by direct explication. If one of your characters knows something, and another character really needs to know in order for the story to move along, then it is permissible to explain. Also, if a character is directly experiencing something, than you can mention it in the context of what that character understands, but not beyond what he would understand.

quote:

"This place is full of dried bones, I can't do anything."

Ducky thought quickly, then frantically began to splash water on the piles of bones.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm getting the bones wet so you can..."

"In the name of the Queen, that's not going to work! It's the spirits of the dead, not because there's no water. Give me that bucket!" The Mage snatched the pail of water and dumped it on Ducky's head .

Sorry about that, ducky. But you did volunteer with that 'soak the bones' comment.

ducky
    Member # 279

So now I'm all wet!

That's ok, I'll get even someday!

I do get your point. I'm writing a story right now and have found myself facing such a problem. (Not with bones, mind you!) I have found it necessary to write a legend within the story to explain the 'who' and 'why' of the characters. The legend is harder than the story.

Survivor
    Member # 213

Ah, but once you understand everything about the world that you're writing about, you never have to worry about not having interesting things to do with your characters. In fact, the biggest problem is keeping them out of all the mischief they are trying to get into.
    ducky
    Member # 279

I wonder what mischief you would see my characters getting into. That would be interesting to hear. But then I'm not sure you would find my little fairy tale of interest. I have a notion to E-mail you a copy and have you critic it. (wonder if my skin is thick enough.) As long as you can't get close to me with a literal bucket of water.
    Survivor
    Member # 213

Don't worry, ducks are waterproof
    ducky
    Member # 279

So, if I sent it would you read it and give me some feedback?
    Survivor
    Member # 213

Of course I would. Such is my nature.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
    Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.