Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Seven minute pause.....?

Author Topic: Seven minute pause.....?
W.P. Morgenstien
Member # 231

- posted      Profile for W.P. Morgenstien   Email W.P. Morgenstien         Edit/Delete Post 
So why do you suppose this forum is so dead lately?

Do you suppose it has anything to do with that pause that has been proven to take place in any given conversation on the average of every seven minutes?

Just what causes these things, do you think?

Posts: 63 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Conversations are highly non-random event chains (at least when I'm involved ). A pause is generally a marker of response to one of several situations. Embarrasment, contemplation, suspicion, and other like stimuli 'give pause', as the saying goes.

A forum is far more random, as there is not a contiuous contact amongst all the parties and there are multiple topics as well. A confluence of several people not responding for several days is just a coincidence, except when a common event is the proximate cause for everyone (like the time that the Belief System topic went offline so no one responded to it for a while, or a national holiday like Christmas).

Anyway, what I'm saying is that nothing causes a coincidence, whereas other things are not coincidence. Hmmm...that isn't as pithy as I was hoping for, but....

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
ducky
Member # 279

- posted      Profile for ducky   Email ducky         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you saying that you are a control freak? I always suspected it!

I think we all got tired and maybe bored with the same subjects for so long. We just need an infusion of new topics.

Since Survivor likes non-random conversations I think we should expect him to start a few new threads. I for one am to tired to think well enough to start anything right now.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Oct 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
No, what I'm saying is that a pause in the forum is different from a pause in a conversation. A pause in a forum is a genuine random event most of the time. A pause in a conversation is almost never random.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Einer
Member # 273

- posted      Profile for Einer   Email Einer         Edit/Delete Post 
In other words, lots of us have homework or jobs or other things that keep us off at different times, and sometimes these times coincide with other peoples' times, and that's what causes those die-offs in conversation. I'm also apt to stay away from the subjects that have gotten "too many" posts to catch up on. I usually add me two cents (hmm...Canadian to American exchange rate...oooh...one cent!) into a subject and scram anyway.

There are also some topics that I just don't touch for other reasons (not like I'm offended or anything, I just 1) haven't dealt with it or b) never thought about it and really don't think I want to).

Other times, I just don't want to check Hatrack for a few days because I feel really rushed to do so, and I can't make the best of my opportunities, so I don't bother making a half-assed post, excuse my not-too-offensive-but-potentially-offensive-word-choice.

Well...that's my exchange-rated cent, so...that's all!

Posts: 125 | Registered: Oct 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.