Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Electronic Rights and Hatrack River

Author Topic: Electronic Rights and Hatrack River
Rball
Member # 397

- posted      Profile for Rball   Email Rball         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering--does posting a story here on Hatrack constitute publishing? According to the article posted at http://www.sfwa.org/beware/electronic.html :
quote:
Generally speaking, if you e-publish your work in its entirety, you'll be considered to have given away your first rights, which makes it unlikely that the work could be subsequently print-published. Note that this rule holds true not just for e-publishers and e-zines, but for any public forum on the Internet, including writers' groups, Usenet, or your own webpage.

I think that posting for feedback here is essentially like handing the story to a friend, or even mailing or e-mailing it in order to illicit comment. Yet on the other hand, stories that are posted here are available to anyone on the Internet, and in that sense it is like posting on any other website.

What say ye?
-R.

Posts: 445 | Registered: Feb 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
jackonus
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for jackonus   Email jackonus         Edit/Delete Post 
This is why, when you post here, you don't post the whole thing, but just the first several lines of your submission. The rest of it (the full text) is shared with only a select few who are in your writers' group and that only via e-mail. This is protection of your first rights.

Posts: 303 | Registered: Feb 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Of course, first rights does not have a 'fixed' meaning at this time because of the dispute over distintion between electronic and print media, but there is a natural concern for publishers that they be able to take advantage of the excusivity of material. If anyone can just look the work up on the internet, then the print edition is reduced to the value of the paper that it's printed on (or a little less).

At the same time, publishers have learned a little something from the shareware strategy of marketing. Let part of the work, say the first several chapters, be published online, but have the second part available only through the publisher. And of course, you are still the author of the work even after publishing it for free on the internet. I think that we talked about this in a couple of the other threads, the E-books and some other thread that I can't remember the name of right now

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.