Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » In The Wake of Adversity

Author Topic: In The Wake of Adversity
TheUbiquitousMrLovegrove
Member # 390

- posted      Profile for TheUbiquitousMrLovegrove   Email TheUbiquitousMrLovegrove         Edit/Delete Post 
I am wondering, what do you do when you fall into those periods where you don't feel creative, encouraged, or productive? What tricks do you use to get out of it?

I seem to have this problem. I'll get to work on a story, writing every night, work very hard, finally get to the end, and get this great feeling of accomplishment, and then for weeks after, I just don't want to do anything else.

When I actually to get to it, and have a viable idea, then I have no problem doing the work, I enjoy it. I'll do it no matter how tired or distracted or distressed I get. But when I'm finished, I just don't want to go back and start again... I begin to want to focus on other things and people in my life. This slump of creativeness will go on until the next little piece that makes and old idea work fits into my head and I'm ready to go again...

Any comments? Is this kind of normal?

Posts: 473 | Registered: Feb 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
jackonus
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for jackonus   Email jackonus         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems normal to me. We pause after a good meal, don't we? Why not after a satisfying bout of writing? I've read something where Asimov said he HAD to write, nearly continuously every day. That's probably the abnormal end of the spectrum, like people who never need sleep -- they're out there but most of us don't share that experience.

Posts: 303 | Registered: Feb 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm well should I admit to this? I only sleep 2-4 hours a night. That is all I need. Now as far as writing goes---I have to write everyday. But when I finish I do sometimes have a very hard time going back and doing the next draft. It’s the ok I'm done now thing and my mind wants to
leap on to the next thing. So I set aside the first thing go on to the next and then go back a few weeks or sometimes months later. That seems to work. I also try to pace myself saying ok, five single spaced pages a day is great–then get out of the chair go to the gym, the pool, the lake, or
just for a drive. If I have time left I do more pages.

So yeah I think a lot of writers get that lull after he storm of creativity. As long as you finish and go back at sometime I wouldn’t sweat it.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to offer two ways to think about this on-again-off-again experience with writing:

First of all, there are those who have compared creativity to bipolar disorders in that when you are "on a roll" you are in a state similar to the manic state of a bipolar disorder. Of course rolls can't last, and just as bipolar disorders have depressed states, creative people have to have "down time."

So it isn't all that uncommon in creativity.

Second, consider your creativity source as something similar to a reservoir. When you write, you are drawing on the contents of that reservoir. If you don't take time between writing bouts to "have a life" in order to refill the reservoir, you run the risk of totally draining it.

Lawrence Block pointed out (in an article several years ago for WRITER'S DIGEST) that writers tend to be quite fickle with regard to the things they're interested in, and he suggested that this was because they had to be filling up that reservoir with all kinds of different things all the time.

After writing feverishly, it's okay to take some down time to fill up the reservoir.

But it's also okay to be the kind of writer who can't stand down time, who has to work on Something! all the time. Such writers probably have more than one reservoir and they move among them.

Another case where there is no One Right Way to Write.

What works for you isn't wrong, it's what works for you.

That isn't to say you can't train yourself to work differently if you want to. Just don't stress yourself out about it if you do it one way and another writer does it another way.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.