Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » First Reader -- Where are you?

Author Topic: First Reader -- Where are you?
WillC
Member # 185

- posted      Profile for WillC   Email WillC         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, you wrote that story.

You think its cool, but you are like, bias, right? Family too, and friends. So -- where do you find that first reader to read your story and let you know, objectively, things that are wrong? Preferably someone who knows something about the craft, right? Yea, yea, you can get into a group, but aren't all in a group the same -- looking for the right thing to fix what they are trying to be?

Any pointers? Anyone out there know this? Anyone know where to go for that first pre-submission story critique?

WillC

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jul 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh, I've got no clue. I've always used my husband and my best friend. I think they've been fairly honest about whether they're interested in the story and whether they've liked it. As to critiquing the craft, well, they have not been helpful there....

So, I guess like you, I'm interested in where everyone else finds that honest review?

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
JP Carney
Member # 894

- posted      Profile for JP Carney   Email JP Carney         Edit/Delete Post 
My first reader is always my wife. Then my dad, and another good friend. The reason? All three bring a different perspective to any critique -- a female whose interest in SF/F is only through her association with me; someone older who appreciates good SF/F and who's read a lot of it; and someone my age who likes many similar things but comes from, shall we say, a different socio-economic-political background than I.

I'm not worried about bias. They know my goal is to write and get published. Contrary to glossing over any shortcomings, they typically ask lots of questions, point out lots of things (major and minor). Then I evaluate the comments and keep and discard as I see fit.

[aside]One thing I've read before and feel is very good advice: Don't respond to critiques with explanations, respond in your writing. That doesn't mean you can't talk with them about things, but don't try to explain anything to them. You won't be able to explain anything to an editor reviewing your work for publication. If it's not conveyed well in your story, or someone doesn't get it, explaining it to them won't make it a better story.[/aside]

Though I don't have the book right in front of me, I remember Stephen King talking about first readers in _On Writing_. His wife is his first reader, and I think he had some thoughts on this. Might be worth checking out.

Posts: 151 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
I found the "on writing" half of Stephen King's book excellent... Have re-read it like 2 or 3 times. It's great, and I recommend it to anyone who hasn't picked it up!
Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Joyce
Member # 956

- posted      Profile for Joyce   Email Joyce         Edit/Delete Post 
The trouble with a family member or friend reading is that he/she may not be a readed of the genre you are writing. Or, they may not be very expressive about the material. But, hopefully, you will have gotten something out of their comments or the mere expression on their face.

Still being new to this [craft] I don't have much help for you except what I've learned from my own experiences. If you have written your story and you think it is as good as it can be, you've double checked for all the problems like transitions, pace, depth of character, etc., then you put it aside and work on something else - intensely. When you come back to the "finished" story in question and read it with as fresh of a mind as possible, you will know if you are ready to send it out or not.

So, I guess, in summary, I am saying that the true test will come from you, then the publisher.

I truely enjoyed "On Writing". For English II I did my term paper on "Bag of Bones" so you can tell that I am a fan of King's. You folks who read "On Writing", did you write the story exercise he suggested in the book? For these past couple of years I have been reading many books on writing. This web site is a powerful helper, too.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Mar 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 927

- posted      Profile for Khavanon   Email Khavanon         Edit/Delete Post 
My proof reader is my roommate, simply because he is very brutal when it comes to... well, everything. He is the most honest, open-minded person I know; and critical. My father is very much like this, also. Just find someone whom you know is not out to get your favor at every turn.
Posts: 84 | Registered: Mar 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.