Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » X words = ? Pages

Author Topic: X words = ? Pages
RoJoHen
Member # 1030

- posted      Profile for RoJoHen   Email RoJoHen         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, all you people keep saying that you're writing stories that are so many words long. I always go by number of pages. So, tell me, in a Word document, Times New Roman size 12, how many words would 5 pages be, approximately?

Just so I know what you people are talking about...

Posts: 28 | Registered: Apr 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
I find that, in that font, six pages is roughly 300 words. As for the maths, well, I'm not very good at it. 50 words a page? 250 words for five pages? Is that right?
A confused and mathematically challenged,
JK

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what, that's absolute rubbish, because I left out a zero. It's actually about 3000 words, so it would be 500 words a page, 2500 for five.
Or is that rubbish too? I think my brain's melting, been in front of a computer too long.
JK

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
The question is whether or not you are talking about pages of manuscript format or not.

A manuscript format page of Times Roman 12 has 25 to 26 lines of type that is about 55 to 60 characters long, right?

That gives you a page that has roughly 250 words on it.

So ten pages would be 2500 words and a short story (up to 7500 words) would have up to 30 pages.

Does that help?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
writerPTL
Member # 895

- posted      Profile for writerPTL   Email writerPTL         Edit/Delete Post 
at the top, tools-word count. No math needed.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
JP Carney
Member # 894

- posted      Profile for JP Carney   Email JP Carney         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless your little tool has a word count-to-page count converter, that really doesn't get to the question of how many words equals how many pages.

It's interesting, because I've never thought to ask the question. We all just throw around 3,000 words per day, 50,000 per month, but I've never thought about how many pages that translates into. Especially manuscript-formated pages, since I've never converted anything to such dimensions (yet).

Hmm, makes the "write X number of words a day" seem like quite a bit o' progress. If I only manage to write 500 words a day, I'd still have 10 pages in a week. Doesn't sound to shabby to me. That's a goal I can stick to!<grin>

Posts: 151 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
writerPTL
Member # 895

- posted      Profile for writerPTL   Email writerPTL         Edit/Delete Post 
But that's not what they asked, they wanted to know how many words five pages would me, unless I'm totally mistaken
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Adverb
Member # 1044

- posted      Profile for Adverb   Email Adverb         Edit/Delete Post 
Just take the word count and divide it by the number of pages. With the default margins and 12 pt and Times New Roman font in Word thats usually about 300 words. What I want to know is how many words are there on a page in your average paperback novel?
Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Doggonnit! Now you've made me curious!

I just did a Google search, and found several different answers to the question. The most common answer, however, was that a typical paperback has 350 words per page.

I am satisfied sufficiently that I shall not conduct the statistical sample which I was contemplating.

Does anyone know of an online book that is also available in paperback? You could do a word count on the text, then count the pages in the paperback. Words divided by pages equals words per page.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
RoJoHen
Member # 1030

- posted      Profile for RoJoHen   Email RoJoHen         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, this is pretty funny. I never figured it would be such a difficult question to answer...LOL
Posts: 28 | Registered: Apr 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Holy Fuzz
Member # 919

- posted      Profile for Holy Fuzz   Email Holy Fuzz         Edit/Delete Post 
I have too much time on my hands, so I figured I'd count the words on an average page.

I pulled out my good ol' copy of Ender's Game, chose a page which looked more-or-less average, and counted the words.

I probably skipped a couple or double-counted a couple, but the number I came up with was exactly 350 . I believe that it was page 136 or 176, I can't remember.

- Fuzz

Posts: 846 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
LeVache
Member # 1169

- posted      Profile for LeVache   Email LeVache         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes, I must be typing with the wrong font, because in Word i usually clock in at about 500 words per page.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
New Times Roman, 12pt; double spaced; at least 1 inch margins 1.5 preferred and remember that your page should have a header with an extra space between it and the start of the text. (header includes slug line, and page number. your name(last name that is)/shortened book title if it is over two words long. Opposite corner page number though there is some leeway here. I use slug line on the left, Pg no. in the middle, and my phone number on the right.

Really though, word count of a published book page doesn't matter. I have picked up books that have a low word count but the font is bigger the margins larger as well to make the book appear larger, then there are the books with tiny pt font to make them look less like the tombs they are. Go by word count---following the format guide you will have about 300 mss pages for the average first book. 70-80 thousand words.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.