Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Touchy subject

Author Topic: Touchy subject
JP Carney
Member # 894

- posted      Profile for JP Carney   Email JP Carney         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, gang. Got a question about a scene I've been struggling with involving a rather touchy subject. The scene is a rape scene. And before you ask, yes the scene is necessary, it's foundational to later developments in the saga.

So, I've been visualizing this for a while, from different angles, different perspectives, but hell, I can't draw from any personal experience and have never seen it portrayed in any media (believe it or not), so I'm not sure how to make it "real". In a movie I'd imagine a lot of cut scenes, odd angles, dark and shadowy. But obviously I need to create it. In my "camera-eye" perspective, there's a lot of violence and swearing, but the feeling and empathy is so much more than that. I want the reader to feel the scene, not react to the language in the writing (does that make sense?).

I'm thinking about writing it from the woman's perspective, but then it obscures the heroines dispatch of the rapist. Which on the one hand makes the scene possibly more real, and heightens the mystery of the heroines, but on the other doesn't advance understanding of them as much as I think I want it to. Never mind trying to understand and convey such a perspective.

So I'm back to thrid person, and struggling with making the reader feel the scene. The empathy is important, because it's the young woman's terror and dispair that ultimately "solve" the situation.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Have I expressed enough of what I'm going for to respond to? As you can imagine, I'm struggling with this one.

Posts: 151 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
For a story I did for Wild Child I did a rape scene that had people e-mailing me for weeks. If you want to read it go to www.wildchildpublishing.com it's my Forge of the Night Bird story--second to the last part I think. You can get to it from my link on the authors page there.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
Stupid question, but before I can give you a suggestion for your dilemna, I have to know. What is the purpose of the scene? What are you hoping to accomplish with it? I know that you have said it is instrumental to later issues, and that's find. But each scene conveys something-- be it information, "tone," character depth/insight, etc. Beyond this scene being crucial for later developments, what do you want it to convey? For example, for sheer shock value or presenting the horror of rape, it might be best to do it from the rapist's POV. In some ways, it will be just as gut-wrenching and eye-popping to read this from his perspective... including the surprising twist of fate that enables her to "dispatch" him. Does that make sense?
Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
My inclination would be to encourage you to make it as matter-of-fact and unemotional as you possibly can.

The reason for this is so that the reader can decide how to feel about the experience.

Too many writers try to provide an analog to the violins in the sound track that tell a movie viewer how to feel about what's happening on the screen.

Readers are intelligent enough to want to decide for themselves how to feel about what is happening in a scene. If the author tells them they should feel thus and so, and they don't, the whole things falls flat.

If you show the rape from the point of view of any of the characters, stick very strictly to the things that character actually notices.

For example, if you use the victim's point of view, is she likely to take note of how she feels? She might notice that her heart sounds really loud in her ears--be careful about cliches with this, by the way--but not while she's struggling with her attacker. She would only notice such noise when she is trying to hide from him. During a struggle, she is only going to notice her injuries if they keep her from fighting back--her arm is broken, or whatever. I hope that all makes sense.

If you don't get into the head of one of the characters (and use "camera eye" instead), just "show" as clearly as you can, what the reader would see if it were filmed.

And let the reader supply the violins.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Caveat: I am a male, but I try to be empathetic.

I have read a few novels that included rape scenes. Some of them were poorly written. In the well written ones, the element that affected me the most, and still sticks with me long afterwards, was not depicted during the rape scene at all. It was the way the victim was changed by the event.

The writer allowed me to get to know the woman before the rape, forced me to live through the rape (various perspectives), then let me get to know a completely different victim after the rape. The original woman never returned, even after the rapist was executed. As a reader I kept hoping for the original woman to come back, but I knew it was not possible. The rape scene had been too traumatic.

Apparently you want the scene to include the complete act of rape (no last minute rescue), and sometime afterwards you want your heroine to do away with of the rapist. This may make your heroine more heroic to the reader, but I caution you against allowing the victim's wounds to be healed by that act. You may have the rapist's fate bring some gratification to the victim, but if you have it heal her completely then you will be undermining the rape scene that you composed so carefully.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.