Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » I know this sounds selfish...

Author Topic: I know this sounds selfish...
Rina
Member # 825

- posted      Profile for Rina   Email Rina         Edit/Delete Post 
How many of you have ever actually met Orson Scott Card? I mean, how many of you have been able to attend his signings or classes or whatever? Because I am JEALOUS of all of you. Heh. I live in Minnesota, and I do not have the means to travel or anything to attend his events, but I wish that someday I could get a signature on Ender's Game. My uncle has a signed copy of it, but he won't even let anyone touch it, so it does me no good. :-P But, God, I'd do anything for a signature of Card's. Hey, if he ever is coming to Minnesota, or Iowa or Wisconsin or any of my surrounding states, will someone PLEASE let me know?

Rina

rinavalheart@hotmail.com

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jan 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
chad_parish
Member # 1155

- posted      Profile for chad_parish   Email chad_parish         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to college in Raleigh, and my parents live in Charlotte, so I often passed through Greensboro.

Although I often considered it, I never met OSC as I figured he would not appriciate people stopping randomly at his house.

Now I live in Pittsburgh. Damn.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I have, twice. First time was a fluke: one of the english teachers at my high school also wrote a column in one of two Denver newspapers, reviewing books. He was a major fan of OSC's and I guess he conned him into coming to our high school to speak and sign books. He did one of his "1,000 ideas" sessions, and I got Ender's Game signed--"Friend of Ender, OSC. " I kick myself now for not bringing my whole collection for him.

Second time was at BYU; he came to do a signing. I stood in line and got Sarah signed. It was the only OSC book I had; I bought it at the BYU bookstore. At the signing, I asked him if I could ask him a few questions after the signing, for a class. The class was a Career Exploration class, and I was seriously considering a career as a writer. One assignment was to interview someone with the career you're interested in. Yep, I talked to OSC, one on one, for about half an hour. He was awesome, as was his son Jeff, who is "only writing screenplays" in college. He plans to be a movie director.

I could go on forever. If you want more, ask me. A while ago, Card announced his last signing tour, but he's still travelling a little. On the main Hatrack page, you can find a link as to where he'll be. Maybe conveniently plan a vacation around it?

[This message has been edited by Brinestone (edited June 28, 2001).]

Posts: 814 | Registered: Nov 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Rina, if you want a signed copy of ENDER'S GAME or of any other of his books, you could call one of the bookstores that he is going to be signing at, and order a signed copy.

It's pretty common for bookstores to have authors sign books for people who are not able, for whatever reason, to come to the signing.

Not the same as meeting him, but you only get a few seconds anyway, after standing in a long line for as much as an hour.

<sigh!>

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Goober
Member # 506

- posted      Profile for Goober   Email Goober         Edit/Delete Post 
A bookstore in my area had him at a signing...of which I found out about exactly one month to the DAY after it happened. Stupid calendars NOT switiching when they should....

I really felt dumb for that one.

Posts: 614 | Registered: May 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.