Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Best resources for new writers

Author Topic: Best resources for new writers
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
While I've been writing for years, I'm only now beginning to contemplate preparing a manuscript for publication. I'm in a tizzy trying to figure out what the best resources are for guidance. I'm delighted with what I've found here, but I'm wondering what other super-great websites or books other people would recommend?

I see abbreviations and acronyms on this site but I have no idea what they mean. Is there somewhere on this website that I'm missing, where I can find reference to these awesome aids for people new to exploring the world of publishing?

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean, manuscript format? If so: Jason recently sent me this link to a discussion of just that (plus stuff about making it easier in MS Word). Thanks, Jason!

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/001338.html

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

I'm willing to take whatever advice on whatever topic you have... I'm scrambling right now to get a sense of Publishing Guidelines, advice on editing, and trying to find online communities where I can learn and grow as a writer... and yes, I plan on giving as good as I get... I've been a regular busy bee on this board. How do people find time to WRITE? There are too many interesting things to read and too many lame comments for me to make!!
Elan
Member # 2442

and thanks for the forum link... yeah, that's the sort of thing I'm looking for... and links to other websites with good advice for the author seeking to be published.
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone posted this link several months ago. It was very helpful to me. Hope the link works, my internet is acting wonky today.

http://www.speculations.com/format.htm

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I found this to be helpful.

http://www.eggplant-productions.com/newbie/2005-01.asp

quote:
I see abbreviations and acronyms on this site but I have no idea what they mean. Is there somewhere on this website that I'm missing, where I can find reference to these awesome aids for people new to exploring the world of publishing?

It is easy to slip into a short-hand without really considering whether everyone gets it.

What abbreviations and acronyms do you need to have defined?

(It took me a while to figure most of them out, and then there are some I still don't get ).

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RavenStarr
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for RavenStarr   Email RavenStarr         Edit/Delete Post 
some of the acronyms you can easily figure out on your own... while... the otheres... well... just nod and smile and look like you know what's going on, and you'll be fine...
Posts: 183 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking as a non-newbie, I never mind when someone asks what I mean by a post. If I say "I wrote this frag in 3PLO" then feel free to say: HUH? At which point I will respond that 3PLO means 3rd person limited omniscient point of view.

Other people also don't mind explaining, and that way you don't stay confused.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottMiller
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for ScottMiller   Email ScottMiller         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC's How To Write Science Fiction and Fantasy Novels (whose title I've probably misremembered) has sections on manuscript prep and format, and advice on how to sell your stuff.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.