Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Fantasy, Wire-taps, and the Blue Footed Booby

Author Topic: Fantasy, Wire-taps, and the Blue Footed Booby
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this in The Sword Review and had to share it. I feel the point remains regardless of belief in God.

Fantasy, Wire-taps, and the Blue Footed Booby: A Speculation on Irrelevance

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus@work
Member # 2959

- posted      Profile for Crotalus@work   Email Crotalus@work         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked that. And as for God liking fantasy, heck he thought of Dragons way before we did. (We just call them dinosaurs and pretend they died out millions of years ago.)
Posts: 57 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aalanya
Member # 3263

- posted      Profile for Aalanya   Email Aalanya         Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on your religious philosophies (especially if you are Christian), you might even argue that we desire to create because we're made in the image of God, who created everything.

But that depends on your belief system. I'm not trying to impose mine on anybody.

I always thought that if I had a superpower I would want it to be the ability to create things out of thin air, especially animated things... or maybe just the ability to make everyday objects animated.

[This message has been edited by Aalanya (edited March 22, 2006).]

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on the fence on whether writing is a more valuable enterprise than war.

Yeah, I know, God, just shut up for a moment on this one, I'm still on the fence.

Okay, I can see how writing can be important in getting a really good war rolling. That's why they say the pen is mightier than the sword, eh? But I still think that writing is primarily important as a means of war, not as an end in itself.

And even though there are some people who can contribute more to the cause of waging war by writing than by direct hostility, I'm just not sure I'm one of them. The other thing is that most of the writers who really did something significant...they actually fought as well. Okay, most of them did no more actual fighting than I did in my term (which was woefully shorter and less action packed than I should have liked)...what am I saying at this point?

There is no such thing as irrelevance. There is giving up and selling out, and if you do that you should feel bad. I won't pamper you. But I won't rub it in if you've really given up, because there's no point. You decide what's important to you. It's easy for me to talk, because I've never felt the need of money in the first place, I know it's a useful exchange mechanism, but humans get really emotional about it. So I don't usually talk about it unless asked. Just don't expect me to be understanding.

I'll keep writing, and I'll believe it has a purpose. I have my doubts as to whether it's such a great idea, but there is such a thing as trust.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I like you Survivor.

I mean, in a purely manly sort of way...

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Okay, I can see how writing can be important in getting a really good war rolling.

That's extremely important. I mean, how pointless would it be if you had a war and nobody came?

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

See, that's why "taking the war to the enemy" is so important a military concept. Obviously, if you are clearly serious about winning, the enemy isn't going to be as motivated to come to you. And if you're not confident about winning, why the hell are you having a war?
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rusty
Member # 3091

- posted      Profile for rusty   Email rusty         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno. Maybe because someone invaded your country?

Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Well, in that case it's not really you who decided to have a war.
rusty
Member # 3091

- posted      Profile for rusty   Email rusty         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point!

Something you said really struck me: "There is no such thing as irrelevance." You're right, of course. A good thing to remember, even when we're feeling a bit marginalized!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a lot to think about. I like the fact that it is put simply on a human basis, not man vs. woman. I didn' focus though, on the war aspect, for me it was more about the blue footed booby. God has a sense of fantasy too.
Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
This whole topic is irrelevant, and nobody should post anything in it. (Oops.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-reference
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
That's all right. You were meta-posting.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

No, meta posting on a thread is done by actual posts in other threads that are clearly influeced by the discussion in the thread on which you are meta-posting. In other words, they are not posted on that thread in the normal sense, but in a more transcendant sense, they are posted on that thread. Just not in the conventional, non-meta sense
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
If you say so. You're right often enough that I don't know if I should argue.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I suppose it depends on your definition of "meta-" as a modifier for "posting".

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.