Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » long scenes and short scenes

Author Topic: long scenes and short scenes
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
What really is the difference between a scene that takes, say, 10 pages and a scene that is over in one or two pages?

Without artificially lengthening a scene by putting in padding, what makes the difference?

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
The difference is what the scene needs to tell.

Presuming, as you say, that all the content in the scenes are needed, then the scene will be as long as needed to show what happens.

If characters board a spaceship, and the ship's description is important, that scene could be one descriptive paragraph. The 10-hour battle they fly through could take 10 pages because there's so much action to show.

You, the author, have to determine the scene's importance to the story - action or characterization - and the level of detail needed. Deep characterization in the mind of the POV character takes more than simply saying she did something. Showing every blaster-ray hit takes more than saying, "Yeah! We won!" How important are battle casualties? Are you showing consequences like mourning or the psychological impact of command responsibility? The degree of depth you choose can turn a flash fiction into a novella.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff's right, so I'm not sure why I'm posting just to say that.

A short scene, I think, can have more of an impact. I'm trying to explain what I mean by that, but not doing very well - I mean its straight to the point, bang! in your face... immediate. Yeh?

I used to write a lot of short scene. A lot of my novels were full of short scenes - which when I realised, I wasn't happy about. Hence, now I try to have a mixture of long and short. The story I'm working on now, though, has a lot of long scenes, and very few short. Why? Because a lot happens to the characters that can't be told in short scenes. So again, it depends on what you have to say and how much you need to say.

A lot of short scenes all after each other, for me, gets annoying, its hard to get into a story when it chops and changes every couple of minutes. On the other hand, very long scenes can become tiresome too.

Did that actually help you? I doubt not!

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
I would add that there's value in plotting so that short scenes can break up the long scenes. I've also seen some authors (Ludlum comes to mind) that use a series of short scenes to create tension and a sense of events rushing by.
Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
J - that's what I was trying to say. Glad someone else was able to put it into words better than I.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed, reading amateur fiction and reading professional fiction, that in professional fiction the scenes seem to be, on the average, much longer. I think it has something to do with "show, don't tell". The beginner tells the reader what happens -- that doesn't take long. The professional sets the scene, draws the reader in with telling detail, allows the reader time to feel what the characters are feeling, and has a structure to the scene -- a beginning, a middle, and an end -- instead of just a start and a stop.

Also, professionals tend to connect scenes in ways that beginners do not. Don Wollheim once asked Samuel Delany why he had a whole scene in a novel in which a character, crossing a stream, slips and gets wet. Delany points to a later scene in which another character crosses the stream without slipping.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
It has a lot to do with pacing.

You can build tension with shorter scenes. You can make a 900 page book a page turned if each chapter is short too. After all, why go to bed now if the next chapter is only 5 pages long?

Genre matters too. If you look at thrillers/suspense novels, those chapters are shorter to build tension. Literary tends to have longer chapters.

It also depends on what you consider the end of a scene. Is it a change in location? Maybe. Is it a change in topic? Possibly but not always. Is it a "change" in POV? Not if you are in full Omni but probably every other time.

If all chapters are 30 pages then the mental hesitation a reader will have in picking it up will be greater. If all of them are 3 pages, you have the opposite problem.

Christopher Moore does a great job with breaking up long and short chapters. In Love Bites he has one bit of humor that is a stand along chapter and about 6 lines of dialog. Too many of those and I'd put it down though. He balances well and his really short chapters are usually mini-punchlines.

[This message has been edited by kings_falcon (edited August 21, 2007).]

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
JeffBarton said -- the difference is what the scene needs to tell.

That sounds so simple, but when you're staring at the screen and looking over at notes or outline....

How do you make that decision?

I mean...most story events can be developed long or short.
One might assume that a major event is long, a minor detail is short. John walking along the riverwalk talking with Susan as he decides to kill her, is probably a long scene. John buying the tarp to wrap her body in is probably a short scene.

However, depending how the story is developed, it could be the reverse. The walk is focused narrowly to the few moments of his decision and what triggers it while the store introduces his attempts to avoid the cameras, the nosy customer or clerk, all sorts of things could be added to develop the idea into a much longer incident.

How do you decide?

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You can build tension with shorter scenes. You can make a 900 page book a page turned if each chapter is short too. After all, why go to bed now if the next chapter is only 5 pages long?

I agree with that. I'm reading two books now (one non-fiction), and one has short, short chapters. I can't put it down. The other has these huge chapters that I dread. I know once I start, I'm committed for at least another hour. (Who wants to stop mid-chapter?)

quote:
How do you make that decision?

My feeling is that each scene will have a purpose. It does something to the story, the characters, the world, whatever. I start there, tacking down exactly what that thing (or things) is.

That, in itself, might tell you something about length. It isn't just what the scene will tell or what the characters learn, the scene might also be there to build tension or to show the development of a relationship between two characters.

Another factor is the weight of the scene. Some scenes I might decide or key scenes. I want the reader to remember them. It might be there is a clue in the scene, or a setup (the old gun on the mantle) or it might just be a turning point for the character. If that's the case, I will draw it out a little more. I add extra detail and go a little deeper into the thoughts of the PoV character.

Then there is pacing. I'm still trying to get a grasp on pacing. I think it has a lot to do with tension, though. But I think if a scene falls between two longer, heavier scenes, it might be refreshing to slip a shorter scene between them (if it has a purpose.)

So it's try that nearly any scene could be short or long. I think you got the essence of it, though. The importance of the scene and the elements in it are probably what lends to the decision factor.

In the case of John that you used, what effect will it have on the story? Will readers want to know and understand why John kills Susan? If so, will they feel cheated if you shorten that scene. "John took Susan down to the beech that night. As they walked along the shore, barely talking, John decided he should probably kill her. He would need a tarp...."

So the story does dictate to a degree how long the scene should be, but you are the one developing the story. You are the one who will decide which scenes are important enough to draw out.

So how do you decide? I think you just do. Maybe it's part instinct, too. The other part is you deciding how important, emotional or pivotal the scene is.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I think somewhere (A. E. van Vogt?) I picked up a habit of trying to make my scenes eight hundred words or less. It was recommended as a way to keep the tension high. I don't think I've stuck to it altogether---some scenes in my novel run to thousands of words---but I do notice I tend to move on after about that length. Ingrained habit, I suppose.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Since I've read them all in very compressed timelines (mostly in 14-day periods) I've noticed something about J.K. Rowling's HP books. The chapters, on the whole, take about 15 mins to read. I know this because I do that bargaining I suspect many of us do. If you're a big reader, you know what I mean. You know when you look at the clock and say "Shoot! After midnight again. Well...one more chapter I guess...." I have done this SO many nights, that I started to notice that it was then 12:15, well, that's not soooo late, I can squeeze ONE more chapter in...and then it's 12:30. Awww heck, it's not even past 12:30 yet, one more chapter won't kill me. LOL And THAT, your honor, is why I never went to bed before 1 AM for a good 2 weeks.

Anyway, I doubt it's quite as perfect as I assume, but I noticed that about it, and it makes me want to aim for something similar in my work because it seems that these "easy to bite off" chapter lengths are part of the appeal to the HP books, IMHO.

Not sure how useful this is to the discussion, but there you have it.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if this will help or not, but here's my take.

I don't think there's just one way to decide scene lengths and I certainly wouldn't write to achieve some notion of an ideal length, except in the sense of making it fit publisher's requirements for a short story or novella or novel. Each writer will have his or her own way. But FWIW here's the process I'm using.

It's based on the idea that the story will decide for itself the right scene lengths -- although I as the writer have some say in the matter too.

The story decides because, as it grows, the need for additional scenes evolves -- to explain character motivation, locations, strange worlds and cultures, some fictional science or the mechanics of a fabulous device. The scene too decides its length, perhaps starting by establishing location, smells, tastes and so on, so that when the action happens the reader is fully immersed.

I have a say because I try to think on behalf of the reader (will they understand that?), I'm trying to think about pace as others have mentioned; and there's also my sense of the aesthetic, fun, and dare I say style.

My process, then, is something like this: Start with notes on plot, characters, backstory, world, etc. Then decide the key scenes that the plot demands, and their sequence, on the basis of dramatic impact, interest, fun, mystery and aesthetics. Either in thinking it through or during writing, I realize the reader needs further information. I'll add it to existing scenes if it will fit, or create new ones, using the 'show don't tell' principle. These 'helper' scenes are short to start with, but to 'show not tell' they often grow to include extra action that's peripheral to the plot but explains motivations and establishes the strange world - which itself needs motivation, location, smells and sounds and could lead to additional scenes, and so on, until enough is there to tell the original story.

Then, step back and review the whole thing for logic and pace and scenes that are too long to sustain interest, and change things around until I'm happy.

How to decide this in detail is, I think, a question of individual style, aesthetic and art.

I hope this helps, and it's helping me to articulate this to myself,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.