Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » New: First Novel Group

Author Topic: New: First Novel Group
artistic_alexis
Member # 2748

- posted      Profile for artistic_alexis   Email artistic_alexis         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone,
I'm looking to start a group to critique and share their first novels for possible publication. I personally have written for as long as I could pick up a pen, but haven't really thought about trying to publish any of my works, until now. I'm currently working on a Sci-Fiesque novel and would love to share it with others trying to learn and get through their first "professional" work. This way we could use eachother for input on everything from just normal critiquing, to trying and find our first Literary Agent and publisher.

I guess I'm looking for a career long support group, where we can watch EACH OTHER grow, and hey maybe we'll be competing for all at the same time for NYTimes best seller spots.

If you are interested in having a good friend who is going through the same things as you, let me know at alexisborenheim@yahoo.com . I'd like this to be a close group of just a few, since we'll all be reading eachothers novels. We may be able to all exchange a chapter every few days or something like that.

Hope to hear from you,
Alexis

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
tarissa521
Member # 2334

- posted      Profile for tarissa521   Email tarissa521         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be interested in this and I do have a novel that I would like to submit (it is my first and only "finished" one). The thing is, I am completely re-writing it, does that still count?
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
artistic_alexis
Member # 2748

- posted      Profile for artistic_alexis   Email artistic_alexis         Edit/Delete Post 
Of Course!

I think that's one reason why I'd like to start this group, to have people who know what it feels like to be working on a WORK IN PROGRESS. I had a friend offer to edit my spelling (which my computer usually does on its own) and such, but I tried to explain to her that what I need as a writer at this moment, is for someone to just read through it.

I want to know if my sentances flow in a way that make my concepts come to life. I want to know if they feel involved in my story and if I should be more descriptive, less descriptive, WHATEVER. I think that we could be a great help to each other in stepping away from what others think is editing, and travel more into the realm of "critiquing". Or so I hope.

If you're still interested let me know at alexisborenheim@yahoo.com.

Thanks,
Alexis

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
IllMetByMoonlight
Member # 2768

- posted      Profile for IllMetByMoonlight   Email IllMetByMoonlight         Edit/Delete Post 
I would really love to join this group. If we could make something like The Alternate Histories group that would be great! I have one novel completed (I call it the Bloated Horrible Epic, and it really is) and one I'm just starting which is the back story for the Bloated Horrible Epic. The back story is better, since I learned a lot writing the Epic, and I'm hoping gutting and amputation of extraneous limbs will fix the Epic. I just registered (because of this group!) but I'll post an introduction. Hopefully this group isn't full. If you want to know anything about me not posted please e-mail me - illmetbymoonlight@earthlink.net

Thanks and take care,
Jamie

Posts: 10 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
treespirit
Member # 2856

- posted      Profile for treespirit   Email treespirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'm a newbie, but I was so excited to see a post a bout first novels that I had to say I'd love to the join this group. of course, i don't know anybody, but...
Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Schatzy540
Member # 2866

- posted      Profile for Schatzy540   Email Schatzy540         Edit/Delete Post 
Schatz would like to be included in this, though i don't have anything truly finished yet. Schatzy540@aol.com!
Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
bobertok
Member # 2942

- posted      Profile for bobertok   Email bobertok         Edit/Delete Post 
Just joined Hatrack today and looking for a group to join. Most of my writing has produced short stories but I started a novel a couple of years ago and can't get past revising the first chapter. I know everyone writes differently but I am beginning to think that I need an outline or synopsis of the whole thing before I can continue to chapter 2. I have a fuzzy idea of where I want to go but keep getting side tracked with sequels, prequels and side stories to support the science and technology of the stories’ setting.

I may need more elementary writing advice for the novice that I am. You may reach me at bobertok@hotmail.com with any advice or recommendations you wish to share.

Thanks

Posts: 10 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rahamad
Member # 2946

- posted      Profile for rahamad   Email rahamad         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in a similar situation. I just joined today - though I have been reading the forums off and on for a while. I don't have a full novel ready for submission yet, but I would like to be part of a group that can help me out. My novel I am writing now is 9,000 words in, and I have a good flow going so far (at least I think so...)
Posts: 12 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jade Spade
Member # 2954

- posted      Profile for Jade Spade   Email Jade Spade         Edit/Delete Post 
I have just joined and would like to discuss this group, I am glad I found this discussion, and since I don't have a completed novel I hope this will not be a problem. Please let me know if there are limits and such...

Thanks and I look forward to working with all of you!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natosis
Member # 3001

- posted      Profile for Natosis   Email Natosis         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm in. heh, i love to write, but it's just hard to sit down and write out what i want (except for poetry). this'll be a good way to grow as a writer and discipline my writing procrastination <grin>. hope to hear from all of u soon. natosis@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by Natosis (edited November 14, 2005).]

Posts: 18 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shaunta
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Shaunta   Email Shaunta         Edit/Delete Post 
I am just finishing up my NaNoWriMo novel and I would love to join this group. My email address is shaunta@pennywisejournal.com.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AstroStewart
Member # 2597

- posted      Profile for AstroStewart   Email AstroStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the middle of going through a 3rd,4th,5th or something like that draft of a first novel I've been tinkering with for years now while I went through college. I would be interested in joining if there's still room and such. My email is StewartKR@hotmail.com
Posts: 280 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epic Dave
Member # 3064

- posted      Profile for Epic Dave   Email Epic Dave         Edit/Delete Post 
If I could submit my first novel, that would be fantastic. My email is mialith@herzeleid.net

Posts: 6 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tgeorge33
Member # 3066

- posted      Profile for tgeorge33   Email tgeorge33         Edit/Delete Post 
I am very intersted in this group. The 13 lines critiques are helpful but a novel begs for something more in the review process. This may be presumptious but how does one protect their work when posting it this way? (Not that I will ever be published but that is my hope.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
If any of you guys have your own hosted website, you can install phpbb2 and set up your own protected forums there. That's what I use for Liberty Hall and it works well.

It can be a pain to set up, but there are hosting services who will do it for you, for free.

That's probably the best way to go, to have a secure place that protects your rights, and that encourages the development of a community, thus promoting longevity of relationships.

IMO

Mike

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rustafarianblackpolarbear
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for rustafarianblackpolarbear   Email rustafarianblackpolarbear         Edit/Delete Post 
tgeorge:

The idea is to not email what you think is good enough to be your final draft. That way, they may be able to use their work themselves, though if you find out and have copyrighted the newer (and older) version before they did you can more than likely sue them, which is a great way to make money. <grin>

Also, with that system, no one can tell your story like you (or would likely want to because it's not as important to them) so you should be safe them just having a draft version. Especially here at hatrack.

edit: emails! why do I keep saying post?

Also: Isn't this a contradiction?

quote:
Not that I will ever be published but that is my hope.

[This message has been edited by rustafarianblackpolarbear (edited December 23, 2005).]

Posts: 136 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessica
Member # 3099

- posted      Profile for Jessica   Email Jessica         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to join! Please let me know when and how! Thanks!
Posts: 47 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to join if I could.Please let me know.
Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigerstormxx
Member # 3234

- posted      Profile for Tigerstormxx   Email Tigerstormxx         Edit/Delete Post 
I am also starting my first novel. Let me know how I can join.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't hear from the people who originally started this topic, you can probably contact the others who have posted recently and start your own group with them.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aldous Huxley
Member # 3232

- posted      Profile for Aldous Huxley   Email Aldous Huxley         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to join this group. I am working on my first novel. My e-mail is: corriganthomas@hotmail.com
Posts: 13 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested in joining with some of you---email me at:

jimflint1 at yahoo dot com

Shane

Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toshiro Kurosawa
Member # 3270

- posted      Profile for Toshiro Kurosawa   Email Toshiro Kurosawa         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey. I could use a support group. Email me at kwspro@hotmail.com.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheMaia
Member # 3231

- posted      Profile for TheMaia   Email TheMaia         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this would be a great group and I would love to join it.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jammrock
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for Jammrock   Email Jammrock         Edit/Delete Post 
Just in case the group isn't big enough yet:

Jammrock @t Gmail dot ... com

I'm 25k words into my first novel attempt. I have access to web servers and hosting solutions if we want to setup live chats or anything else. I am pretty technocally savvy, so anything we need to open communications lines, I can get it done.

Jammrock

Posts: 136 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Confused
Member # 3317

- posted      Profile for Mr.Confused           Edit/Delete Post 
I am interested in joining any group that is as willing to read my work as I am theirs, and preferably doesn't mind my numerous mistakes.

tomd83@hotmail.com

Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.