Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Flexible writing group...

Author Topic: Flexible writing group...
Iviron
Member # 3729

- posted      Profile for Iviron   Email Iviron         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey.

I would like to start a group of 4-6 with some fairly loose guidelines, with the goal of encouraging each other to learn certain techniques.

For example, I am interested in how best to establish tension in a reader. On my month to pick the writing topic I would choose that subject and everyone in the group would submit a small 1-3 page excerpt that tried to best produce tension in a reader. Step two would involve the other members of the group giving feedback. After absorbing the feedback the writers would then re-submit their excerpts and get more feedback.

The next month someone else in the group would choose a topic and we would all submit something about that topic.

I think it would be pretty awesome to have a different task each month that we want to master (or at least get better at).

Is anyone interested in such a group?

Posts: 32 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeepDreamer
Member # 5337

- posted      Profile for DeepDreamer   Email DeepDreamer         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be. That sounds like a great idea for a group. Email me the details at jforrest_2004 (at) yahoo.com
Posts: 34 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iviron
Member # 3729

DeepDreamer! Cool! Hopefully I will get to read more of your story about the demon.

Anyway, let's wait a few more days and see if anyone else is interested and then I will email you for sure.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iviron
Member # 3729

Wow! No one besides DeepDreamer and I are interested, huh? If you think my idea sucks it is OK to tell me. What would you like for a group idea? Like I said, let's make the group flexible.
Fox
Member # 3871

- posted      Profile for Fox   Email Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested in joining the group, though I'm not certain how worthwhile my input would be.
Posts: 41 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeepDreamer
Member # 5337

- posted      Profile for DeepDreamer   Email DeepDreamer         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Fox! The more, the merrier! I took a look at a couple of the stories you commented on. You don't give yourself enough credit.

Besides, this would be a great way to learn to give detailed, helpful feedback in a smaller, more comfortable setting, by email rather than on a public message board.

Iviron, are you still interested in forming a group? Because I still am.

Posts: 34 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iviron
Member # 3729

I am definitely still interested. If you send me an email at mtdawdy at gmail dot com we can start working out some details.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.