Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Return to Luna group

Author Topic: Return to Luna group
halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone?
Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh? Anyone what? Maybe elaborate a bit to get some reaction.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

haha, supposed I should

http://www.nss.org/news/releases/pr20080229.html

Anyone submitting, anyone interested in forming a critique group?

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm down with this, even though I've been a bit of a flake as far as groups go. I thought about writing for this once I heard about it. It should be a good exercise, since I don't typically write this style of science fiction.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in. I have been glancing at the start of my draft every day for a month. Set the dates. I seem to respond to pressure.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Oh yeah, keep it super clean. and the only prize is royalties. They also don't want any crazy aliens, warp drives, stuff like that.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
KayTi, if you read this, Apples would be an excellent story for this.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL IB, I was just thinking that. Of course I wrote that a long time ago and it is kind of crap, so I'd need to heavily revise...but I think I might.

Hmm...looks like May is my month to write (WOTF, Heinlein, Lunar...)

Not sure how much critting help I can provide, but I'm willing to try. Anyone who already has my email address and is writing for this, feel free to wing me copies. Feel free to hassle me if you haven't heard back in more than a week. I'll ask for critiques when (if?) I'm ready.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

I didn't think it was crap. I rather liked it. Obviously, it could do with polishing, but the premise is sound, the story is good, and it is right on target for this market.
halogen
Member # 6494

Cool, sounds like we have enough people, the deadline is June 15th, so I'm thinking May 16th for the round of 1st drafts. No formal 2nd or 3rd draft system yet... that can be done on a individual-individual basis.
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

If I may suggest keeping this at one thorough crit. There is alot going on for most of us with other competitions. The nature and word length of this competition should enable us to do so. If we need further help we can try to farm it out to group members if they aren't too busy.
KayTi
Member # 5137

Sounds like a good idea, BentTree. Commit to one crit round. Anything else is gravy. Anyone really needing a crit can also always post to F&F and ask for new sets of eyes. For sub 8k stories, there are usually at least 2-3 Hatrackers who are willing.

Thanks, IB on the vote of confidence for my Apples on the Moon story. It is/was my first short story. I'm going to dust it off (after I do a revision round on Clones) and see how it looks lo these 12 months later.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. Might be a bit much for me, what with Wotf & Heinlein going on this next month. Plus, I'd have to come up with a new concept. But under 6k... I might be able to get in on it. Don't count on me for certain yet. When is the deadline going to be? With a final submission of June 15th and only one crit, I'm thinking May 21st? Any comments?
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

Well the original deadline was May 16th,

Anyone still planning on making it to that deadline?

[This message has been edited by halogen (edited May 07, 2008).]

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I'll make it. I have about 200 words down. I like pressure
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, is this moon thing a separate contest from the Heinlein centennial contest?
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Yes, the link is atop this thread.
arriki
Member # 3079

Okay, I understand now. There are two separate contests. One for the space people and one for the Heinlein people. Deadlines June 15 and June 1 respectively.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

Halogen, since I'm repurposing a story I've already written, yeah I can make May 16. You still in?

I actually could have it ready sooner, pending the stars aligning in a certain way with the moon ... Oh, that's right, my mother-in-law is coming in for a (ridiculously brief) visit this weekend. Next week is soon enough.

halogen
Member # 6494

Awesome, glad to see people are in.

Yup, mine is ready I'm just going over it again, again, again.

arriki
Member # 3079

Isn't this deadline June 15?

Yeah, if it's not too late, I'd like to join. Right now I'm hurrying to polish up "Ghosts of the Void" for the Heinlein Centennial, but I'll be back to work on this untitled as yet lunar story. I have about three pages so far. I posted the opening on 13 lines.

halogen
Member # 6494

Great!

Deadline to submit is June 15th

Deadline for the 1st draft round May 15th (to provide enough time for revisions)

halogen
Member # 6494

just sent out my story, if you did not receive it let me know. Look forward to reading the rest of the stories!
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I finally finished a rough draft. I sent it out to Halogen. I am not sure who all is still in, so if you are set to recieve please respond and I will get it out to you. If anyone else is in and ready send it over.
KayTi
Member # 5137

Halogen, I received yours but haven't had a chance to look at it yet. Bent, feel free to send to me, I'm 99% sure you have my email addy.

I am checking over my old story called Apples on the Moon and considering rewrites/edits today. By tonight I'll know if I'm going to fling it into the fire or into the pot for review, one or the other.

Am I remembering right that the due date on this is June 15? I'm still fixing/finishing my Heinlein story entry.

Gotta say I find contests waaaay more motivating than just run-of-the-mill submissions. I still haven't submitted to any magazines yet (though I'm about to submit a sniper story somewhere) but the contests keep me moving. Anyone else finding that to be the case?

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

KayTi, I don't seem to have your email or I can't decipher it from the non hatrack handles in my list. Would you mind shooting me one that I can respond to? I'll be sure to tag it this time.
KayTi
Member # 5137

Hey folks - did anyone end up submitting? I polished my Apples story and sent it. I didn't have the benefit of any additional Hatrack crits, I was down to the wire (for a change, ha!) I apologize, Halogen - I think you sent me a message saying you were going to send a new version of your story to review but I don't think I ever got it. These last few weeks have been a little crazy and I hope to dig myself out from under it all by the end of June (and next WOTF deadline, LOL)

But I do hope others have had the chance to submit - best of luck to everyone!

KayTi
Member # 5137

HOLY CANNOLI!!!!

That's me, third on the list:
http://ericreynolds.livejournal.com/

I didn't win the grand prize, but I don't care! This is my Apples story. Many thank yous and deep bows to both arriki and IB who helped me with a very very early version of this story 16 months ago. I didn't get it critted this time but I am sure their crits way back when helped tremendously, as did enough time on the shelf so I could improve the story through my own built-up skills.

This was the first story I ever wrote. Wow.

I don't know people's names well enough to know if there's any other Hatracker's on the list, but I bet there are. Congratulations!

AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
Grats KT!

Way to go.

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering how this thing went.

Congrats KayTi!

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

congratulations KayTi
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Congratulations, again, KayTi. You've done us proud.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.