Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG for 3/6 to 3/12

Author Topic: NSG for 3/6 to 3/12
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I wrote a little every night (and that I consider a success), but failed at anything for APTW--except printing and organizing it into parts. So, for polishing: absolute failure (which is nothing like the Vodka). For the five pages a day I aspire toward in my current WIP: I got less than three a day. Funny how I thought I'd have so much more time, and can still only work in the hours I usually do.

My Weakly Goals: The same: 5 new pages and 5 polished a day. Until I achieve it regularly, that will be my goal.

Congratulations to Sheena! Woot! She wears the crown this week, achieving it with the hard-earned words "The End".

How'd everyone else do?

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still having a bit of trouble getting into Book Three. I did write a little bit. I'm just going to have to force myself into it and know that I can clean it up later.

It doesn't really help in this situation to have a diversion. The newer story is SO much easier to write--and more fun. I keep opening that one instead of Book Three.

MY GOAL: Actually get through the first two chapters of Book Three (I really have to think of a title, soon). If I can do that, the rest of the story shouldn't be so bad. I'll settle for the first chapter, but I think the first two would really get me past the sticking point.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you guys. I am so excited.

I WROTE A NOVEL!!!

Yay for finishing what you started.

Now the stressful part. Now I have to worry about commas, and correct tense, and not starting all my sentences with She.

But happy. Freakin happy.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

I've attended to the boatload of distractions, and now I'm ready to get back to the art of writing.

First and foremost: Congrats, shimiqua! Finishing a novel brings with it an incredible rush, so enjoy it. Except, as you will eventually find out, the truly stressful part is writing the damned agent query letter. I'm having a blast with mine...dripping with sarcasm.

GOALS
1) Finish the crits I've started. I refuse to disrespect my fellow writers by doing that task at a time when I cannot concentrate fully on their works, so I'm hoping they accept this as the reason why I've not gotten back to them yet.

2) Back to work on my mainstream-ish novel. The digital audio files are starting pile up.

3) Finish the aforementioned agent cover letter for "Metzgerhund Empire."

That should do it for now.

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TLBailey
Member # 8499

- posted      Profile for TLBailey   Email TLBailey         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Sheena!! I look forward to the day I learn how to spell those 3 letter words.

As it stands, my background doc sits at just under 4,000 words and I think I finally finished chapter 2 yesterday. I'm setting a goal of 1,000 words a day.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay Sheena!!!!
::throws flowers and confetti::

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega
Member # 8502

- posted      Profile for Omega   Email Omega         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Shimiqua ! That's so amazing and cool. It gives me hope that someday I'll get to the end too.

As far as it goes for me, I have excellent news and dissapointing news.

Dissapointing news was due to the release of Halo Wars and my nerdy personality, I was distracted to the point where I only wrote 3000ish words and about...half to just over a third of the chapter. I plan on finishing it up today and tomorrow if I can though.

The excellent news has a bit of a story to it though. Well, basically, my student teacher in my creative writing class and i came up with a good social experiment to teach my rude class about respecting people's work. We gave them the first three chapters of my MS, put a fake name on it and had them read it. The goal was basically to let them ignore it and make jerks of themselves (while getting good feedback from the good kids). Surprisingly though, the majority of the class hardly made a peep!

Then, after it was done, a lot of people were saying how they never liked Sci-fi but they really liked this and that they wanted to read more. I had a few critics but nothing huge. There were those jerks who were rude but they felt like idiots when we told the class it was mine. When we did though, so many jaws dropped and I was flooded with comments about how great it was. I know they're not as knowledgable on what makes a good book but the fact that the metaphorical "common man" liked the begining of the story without even knowing it was mine makes me feel really happy. Makes me feel like maybe someday I'll get this thing published

I know that was a mouthful though so I'll make my goals brief

1) FINISH CHAPTER 5. Bout dern time!

2) Start Chapter 6 and get at least halfway through. I mean, I AM on spring break so i should be able to finish. We'll see though.

Good luck to anyone else and I'm still open for chapter swapping if anyone is interested

Posts: 63 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I did horribly this week. I guess it balances out last week where I did well. I wrote on my novel on Saturday and finished up the chapter I was working on. Then I started the last chapter and just could not get into it. The exciting stuff was over and I have just a few last things to tie up but they bored me. So this whole week I haven't even looked at my novel, but I was still busy doing crits for the Witch of Words short story, oh, and I read Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. Reading always takes from my writing time.

This week I want to finish the last chapter. Then all I have to do is add in a few scenes and I can write The End too. It's a big goal but I want to write those words by this time next week.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

So.
From the start of last Saturday night to just now, I wrote 16,000 words, which may be my personal best for any time.

And then, after I wrote all that, I wrote two more words:
"The End"

I'm very tired, and very, very, very happy.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, there seems to be a lot of that going around. Good for you!
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations BoredCrow! That's so cool. I'm assuming you just finished Graveyard??? So, when do I get to see the rest of it? Way to go!

Last week: Finally recovering from the flu that knocked me and most of my family off our feet. I spent most of last week playing catch-up, including some critiquing (which was fun--what awesome writers I meet here on Hatrack). I spent one sick day rereading the first novel I wrote and I was pleased to say that I still like it.

Goals for this week: I might put my second novel on hold and polish up the first some more.
Melanie

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TLBailey
Member # 8499

Congrats BoredCrow! You are now entitiled to a short break before you next hear the crack of the whip.

Okay times up, back to work .

Posts: 72 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, BC!!! King's to you, young lady!
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for Bored Crow!
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

Good for you Bored Crow!
Yay!
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

Thanks, guys!
It's a big throne up here... who wants to come share with me and Sheena?

Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
I do!
Of course I haven't written anything longer than a 2000 word sudden fiction entry lately, but I still wish I was up there with you!
Melanie

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TLBailey
Member # 8499

I posted my first 13 in Fragments and Feedback for Novels a few days ago if anyone here is interested in beating me up a little.

TL

Omega
Member # 8502

- posted      Profile for Omega   Email Omega         Edit/Delete Post 
congrats to you BC As I said, always encouraging to see that thing really happens

Well, I know I already posted here, but I felt I needed to breathe a metaphorical sigh of relief and say I finished that stupid chapter. The end turned out better than I thought and I will definitely be going back to do a major overhaul, but I can finally move on.

Thank god xD

Posts: 63 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

Writing a book is fun to do, fun to do, fun to do. Writing a book is fun to do, to do, to do, to do.

Opps, sorry. Just singing.
~Sheena

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
You know you've been to primary when you know the tune to that song, Sheena.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.