Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG 4/10 - 4/16

Author Topic: NSG 4/10 - 4/16
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
I did not see this topic yet so I thought I would start it this week.

I did get some writing done on my new chapter two. However, I have found that this story has changed so much that I need to take several steps back and refine my outline. The original outline worked for the main character I had when I first started this novel. I'm finding, however, that it does not work with this new main character and world history.

This time around I don't want to focus on "getting published" as much as I did when I first started writing (high school, college, etc.). This time I want to write because I enjoy it. If I can get published, fine. When I was more concerned about getting published I rushed my writing. I don't want to do that this time. So, for now, I will go back and work on the outline.

I've also discovered I need structure when writing and an outline will help with that. I know that some can start with the blank page and write until the end with little or no outline. However, I find myself struggling to write the sections of this novel where I do not have a solid outline of story events.

Hopefully this method will work for me. If not, I will try a different option until I get this novel finished. I know I can do it because I have finished it once already. I also feel that this new version of the story is better than what I wrote ten years ago. Only time will tell if this version ends up being publishable.

-- William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I failed to meet my goals yet again. No excuses this time. Book Three, or at least chapter five, is just fighting me tooth and nail. I did manage to finish one scene and write another. No idea how good they are, but at this point, I'm going to take it and try to move on.

On the upside, I did at least write. I took a few scenes from Book One, surrounding a single event and reworked them into a flash. So far, those who have read it like it. I'm just amazed that it worked. I have so much trouble writing at the shorter lengths. This makes me feel good. So, I've been playing with another, longer excerpt to see what I can do with that.

I'm also trying to start thinking about a synopsis and query letter for Book One. I'm going to have to send it out someday, after all.

Goals for this week:
Finish <expletive deleted> chapter five and at least start chapter six. Six should be easier. I think I'm having trouble with five because it's mostly small battles and skirmishes. Six moves back more to the characters.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Finished my WotF draft, 1,250 new words on COE, 9 pages edited on APTW, have had two requests in the last month to turn my two professionally sold stories into short movies, won 11 new awards and have had two job offers for 60k + a year.

If I didn't exactly reach my goals, I'm not disappointed.

Goals for this Week:

1) Get the short stories from my contest critiqued.

2) Get the first couple of chapters of Sheena's novel read enough for the opinion she requested.

3) Get any return WotF critiques that are owed done.

4) Write at least 2 new pages a day (on CoE AND PotD)

and 5) Edit 2 - 5 pages on APTW.

Not to mention Deb's sketches and hopefully a map or two for Kevin J. Anderson.

It's quite a load, but I figure if I got the time, use it.

Good luck on all your goals.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Baerveldt
Member # 8531

- posted      Profile for Jeff Baerveldt   Email Jeff Baerveldt         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a pretty giant goal of getting 48 pages written last week -- bringing my current WIP up to 100 pages. Didn't do it, but was able to get to page 90.

It's Easter weekend so I won't get any writing in today or tomorrow. Which is fine. I think I need a break. Maybe I'll draw a map or something.

Goal for next week? I think I'll push myself and say I want to write 6,000 words by Friday, April 17, bringing up total up to 25,000 words.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
So I've just been working on solidifying Dragon Fate. I haven't opened the file yet, trying for a fresh perspective, but I've been playing with the history, religions, and cultures of the people. The more I play with it, the more things I find interesting, and the more I know I'm going to have to change in the novel.

For example, one of my main characters is now a god.

Who knew?

I said this before, but, this writing thing sure is fun.

Goals for this week, try to get back into CTD. That's the story I'm supposed to be playing with right now.

Happy writing!

Oh and Woot to Rich on the new jobs, the movies, the awards, the total awesomeness in one person.

Man, I want a week like that one.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, IB--that is awesome. You should have a tattoo on your arm that says, "When it rains, it pours" because that description fits you better than anyone else I know.

Sheena--which character is a god?

As for me--I'm still on hiatus from writing, and missing it more and more. On the positive side, my house is starting to look like an adult lives here again, and my kids are eating food that didn't come straight from the grocery's freezer aisle, and for a change I remembered to pay my oil bill before I got a late fee.

My goals: Continue to get my life back in order. I might start trying to outline book 3, but it'll mostly be mind work right now.

**quick pause to go see why my front yard is on fire**

I lost my train of thought. Oh well...I don't have many goals except finishing up some more critiques. I haven't forgotten y'all!
Melanie

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

Ooh! I think I know which character is a god!
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Who do you think it is? Cause your wrong.

Actually two of my characters are now gods, one I'm sure you'll get. His name is Gabriel, Surprise. But the other is Connor. Seriously. How weird is that, right?

Nope, that's not gonna change anything.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

Nope, I wouldn't have guessed Connor--I was thinking her father would make a good 'god' candidate. How is it possible that being a god will not change things?
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still deep in editing mode. I've finally stopped hating chatper 2, and now I hate chapter 3.

Goals this week: stop slacking and get that manuscript in!

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

HEY! No hating your story. Not on my watch. I love your story! And it's going to make you a fortune, so what's to hate?
Melanie

satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, did I do anything this week? I don't think so. I didn't even have internet for several days. On Monday a worker putting up a sattelite dish on the roof of our apartment building accidentally broke the water pipe to the emergency sprinklers. The fire alarm went off and as I went into the breeze way in my pj's water begins streaming done the walls. Inside I notice water streaming down my walls and the elctricity start shutting off (which is good since water began coming out of the light switchs, and electrical sockets). Everything is finally back to normal so next week should be better. I'm also way behind on crits.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
lol, Unwritten.
I think I hate it because I know the story could be better, but can't for the life of me figure out to fix it. It's not forever hating; eventually I figure out a solution and then all goes well.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.