Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG 5/1 - 5/7

Author Topic: NSG 5/1 - 5/7
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we had a great thread going for last week's Novel Support Group. It is a new week now and it is already May -- where did the time go?

As for me, I did not write anything for my novel since I am still in the world building phase right now, specifically that elusive outline. I am pleased to say that I made much more progress than I did in my previous attempts. I still have the middle section of this novel to plan out but I am getting closer to where I need to be.

Right now I have the first one-third of the novel outlined enough so that I could possibly start writing that section. Not sure I will though. I do know that section well enough to know the cast of characters there. I will focus instead on doing the characterizations of all involved, even if I do not utilize all of the material I develop. I have found that as I do this characterization I get additional scenes for the book. They may not be scenes that specifically pertain to the overall plot but they do help display the personalities of the characters and their inner conflicts. As such, these scenes are a bit more important because stories about the characters, right?

Overall I am pleased with what I have accomplished so far. I don't usually set goals each week (I should). However, I think what I will do this time is set the goal to have the characterizations completed for the main character and the supporting role character completed by next week. A week may be more than enough than enough time or it may not be enough. I don't know. I do want to know these characters very well before I start working on the this book though, especially since I continually get new scenes from this process.

That's my weekly summary. How about yours?

-- William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Baerveldt
Member # 8531

- posted      Profile for Jeff Baerveldt   Email Jeff Baerveldt         Edit/Delete Post 
Last week's goals"
quote:
1. To finish Part 1 of MALZIRUN.

2. To outline the at least half of Part 2.

I finished Part 1 of MALZIRUN, but I didn't outline Part 2. Decided instead to outline as I go. We'll see how well it works.

#

This week's goals....

Well, I've decided to make May my own NaNoWriMo and get in 50,000 words. Personally, I'm not a big fan of real word counts; I prefer MS word counts -- you know, 250 words per page. This means that 50,000 words translates into 200 pages.

To do this, I need to write between 6 and 7 pages a day in May. Therefore, this week's goal is pretty simple: write 50 pages.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, as usual, slow and steady never lost the race.

I've managed at least a page a day one my new manuscript (which translates to a bit more since I'm using a small font that's more pleasing to my eyes). I'm still coming off of a major downshift on another project.

I got the illustrations in for FFO last night.

Goals for this week:

1) Kick it up to two pages a day (at least).

2) Get five pages edited on APTW a day.

3) Get a couple of pages edited on my WotF entry.

4) Sign the contract for "The Sad Girl" movie option and get it out in snail mail.

5) Get some feline sketches out to Deb.

6) Finish my owed WotF critique.

7) Work more on Sheena's critique.

How about y'all?

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I didn't meet all my goals for last week, but I did pretty well.

I restarted Book Two (The Ignored Prophecy). I reworked the outline and am in the middle of chapter two. Pretty much all new material, since the story now starts in a very different way than it did before. Whether I'm posing the questions well enough is an issue. But we'll see. Beginnings always get revised anyway.

I've also done a fair amount of work on Book One (The Shaman's Curse), incorporating critiques.

I did not work on the synopsis. I really need to buckle down and do that. It's just not the most exciting thing I have to work on.

I also did not do world-building for Dreamer's Rose.

This week:

Get that synopsis fixed.

Continue working on Book Two.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

I'm still working on my latest project.

One of my short stories was just recently rejected, so I'm reviewing it a bit before I send it back out.

I recently made a theoretical physics realization (new to me, probably been known in the physics world for the last 500 years ) that has the potential to make one of my SF novels that much more complex. I've jotted down all my thoughts, and will get back to it when I'm finished my primary project.

I'm working on one crit, and will email the author shortly.

And, of course, ideas for my race story will not leave me alone...which means I'll be changing the batteries in my digital recorder fairly soon.

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
My goal: be on vacation for the week. Let ideas simmer in the warm, tropical air.

(It's 39F here in Wyoming. I really need that sun.)

See you guys next week!

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Today I did something I've never done before.

I submitted my first short story.

Wootawoo!

I honestly could care less if they buy it. (Who'm I kidding, so I do care a little bit.) Overall however, I'm just excited to have pressed the send button.

It's because of that challenge and the list you compiled IB that I did it, so thanks a ton for doing that.

As for Dragon Fate, I've looked at it a few times this week, but mostly I've been writting on my two other novel projects currently spinning around in my computer.

I'm bout 25,00 words into crappy novel number two, (CtD) and bout 5,000 words into crappy novel three. (no title yet, it's the story surrounding the advocate from character interviews.)

My goal for this week, is to think positively as I edit, and write because I enjoy it.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaudrhin
Member # 8557

- posted      Profile for Gaudrhin   Email Gaudrhin         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I think I've got goal(s) for this week. I've talked to my roommate and she's really wanting to work on Blood of Princes, so I'm going to focus on that for now. As far as writing it, I need her, but I can edit/proofread on my own. So my goal is:

Have a finished draft of the first chapter of Blood of Princes.

I'm starting slow.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
Last week I just read. I read Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson and had a great time. This week I'm going to start fixing my short story for WotF and continue world building for my new novel which is currently nameless.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished Mistborn, too, satate. I love the magic system.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Baerveldt
Member # 8531

- posted      Profile for Jeff Baerveldt   Email Jeff Baerveldt         Edit/Delete Post 
@ satate

@ InarticulateBabbler

I'm less than 200 pages from finishing MISTBORN 3: THE HERO OF AGES. You haven't seen nothing yet. It's proving to be one of the best trilogies I've read in a long, long time.

Of course this all depends heavily on what Sanderson does with these final 200 pages. But I'm not afraid to call him my new favorite writer.

Looking forward to reading both ELANTRIS and WARBREAKER.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm back working on Book Two. I just deleted Chapter Four! I always hated that chapter, even when I was writing it. Now I don't need it any more. Yay! It felt so good to kill it.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

I liked Elantris very much. If not, I probably wouldn't have gotten Mistborn so quickly.

After I finish what I'm reading now (Sam Barone's Dawn of Empire) I have to (and am looking forward to) read an advanced copy of Kevin J. Anderson's first book (in his first fantasy trilogy) Terra Incognita: The Edge of the World. I'm doing a map for book two (and possibly the last one, too). I might even have to skip to The Edge of the World before I finish Sam Barone's book.

And, I'm steadily plowing ahead on my current WIP.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited May 06, 2009).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.