Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG 8/21 - 8/27

Author Topic: NSG 8/21 - 8/27
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group (NSG). Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

• What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
  • Describe what you worked on.
  • Set goals for next week.
  • Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

• Writing on a novel
  • Characterization
  • World Building
  • Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

Last Week's Goals

I'm still busy with some work tasks so I have not done as much writing as I would like. Even so I feel that I need to go back a bit and work on the outline for this novel again.

My goals for next week:

• Oulining

I want to go back and review the overall outline for this novel. Instead of writing I have been studying in my spare time again. From this I have gained some new ideas for this story that I feel will improve it. However, this means that I'm no longer certain that the current scenes I'm working on will actually make it into the book. So, I think it would be best for me to outline for a while. I'd rather be writing but since that is not happening something I need to determine why.

What did I learn this week?

I think I'm getting "writer's block" on this novel. I'm hoping it's the Insufficient Planning Block rather than the This Sucks Block. Whichever it is I'm going back to outlining for a while.

--William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's been a pretty good week for writing, but not for my goals.

Last Week's Goals:

Dreamer's Rose: Finish Chapter Eight.

Nope, didn't touch it. Like you, I think I'm getting a little blocked on this one. I may have to set it aside and see what bubbles up from the depths.

Shaman's Curse: Send out seven queries.

No again. I'm still fighting with my printer. I thought I had it for about a hour earlier this week. I've e-mailed Epson and have a set of instructions from them (they sent their instructions in about 5 point type, though). I'll try to work through those this weekend.

Between plumbing problems (ongoing) and taking one of the dogs to the vet (routine thyroid check, but still time consuming), I didn't get around to researching more agents that I can query by e-mail, either.

Current stats: Eighteen queries sent, sixteen rejections.

The Ignored Prophecy: At least work on some of the revisions.

I didn't touch this either. But I just started a new chapter exchange on it, so that should motivate me to spend a little time on it.

Blood Will Tell:

This one is the winner for this week. I started it just about a week ago and I have almost 17000 words. I'm really enjoying this one, so far.

Next Week's Goals:

Dreamer's Rose:

I think I'll let this one simmer for a while. I seem to get three or four chapters and then get stuck. Maybe I'm approaching the story wrong. I like what I've written, but it may just be backstory and I have to start someplace else. Not sure, yet.

The Shaman's Curse:

Alright, I'll back a little of the pressure off. How about three queries. (And get a working printer, one way or the other.)

The Ignored Prophecy:

Get back to work on the revisions so I can get this out to one of my local readers.

Blood Will Tell:

Enjoy the ride while it lasts. I finished Chapter Five last night. I've got part of Six already. At some point, I know this story is going to force me to slow down and work at it. But that hasn't happened yet.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
I've still been working on revising Mudlarks. Also spent some quality time worldbuilding and brainstorming for two different ideas - one a world that I started writing in before I had all the details pinned down, and another something that's been bouncing around in my head for just ages but going nowhere.

Goals for next week:
1) Finish the revisions!
2) Continue KS worldbuilding.
3) Try rewriting first 2-3K of KS in 3rd person to see what happens.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

PREVIOUS WEEK

Current: Mainstream novel: My writing ministry is in progress.
Goal: 2K more words. At least.

I only typed a few words over a thousand, but I've hand-written at least another thousand, and audio dictated what will probably turn into a thousand more. I'm calling this a success.

Current: SF novel: research phase
Goal: More of the same.

I've run into some material that's making my brain scream, but that's just another form of growing pains. I'm calling another success.

Current: 'Primary' project: creation phase
Goal: My goal here is to increase my output. Even a 1% increase at this point would make me happy, but I suspect I'll do better than that.

I might have hit the 1.5% mark, but that's about it.

UPCOMING WEEK

Mainstream novel: Two thousand more words.

SF research: More of the same

"Primary" project: At this point, just keeping the momentum moving forward will bring good results.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Last Week’s Goals and Activities
Start a draft of chapter 6 of RITN -
Accomplished. The biggest challenge of the week was letting go of chapter 5.

Next Week’s Goals
Finish the chapter 6 draft.

Lesson Learned
Sometimes you just need someone to listen. By allowing me to talk to his back and by answering the non-rhetorical questions, my husband helped me with the subplot that will return again in chapter 7.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
I have been sick this last week, so I didn't get much done.

Next week my mother in-law is coming into to town, so I doubt I will do well next week.

Goal: Find some time to write everyday.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my week! I'm getting back into writing.

My goals: Write for 2 hours on Wednesday, Thursday AND Friday. Do not get on Hatrack, Facebook or check any e-mails when I ought to be writing. Do not suddenly think of a pressing subject I ought to google during my writing time. Do not get up and make myself popcorn, cookies or licorice tea when I ought to be writing. Remember to stop writing at the end of 2 hours so that I can be there to pick the kids up at school. I'll mostly be working on Earth's Gate I think. Wish me luck!
Melanie

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you Melanie and I am wishing you luck. I have had a hard time getting back into writing and so I am wishing you extra luck because maybe if you can do it then so can I.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Yao's Dragons
Polished my opening a bit.

Put up a large paper on the wall and started sticking scene cards on it. I'm right there with you, William, needing to outline. At this point I need the big picture of how will each character arc/subplot tie in to the main plot and theme? It seems weak in the middle, and some main characters don't feel deep enough over the course of the project. They need to grow, darn it!

Some of the cool scenes in my outline will have to be tossed unless I can fit them into the overall picture. I have too much superfluous crap that I just threw in until I could decide what to do with it. That won't do.

I'm re-reading Elantris (B. Sanderson) and taking it slow, to see how its done. That is one tight story, weaving characters and subplot without ever slowing down.

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

MrsBrown wrote:
quote:
At this point I need the big picture of how will each character arc/subplot tie in to the main plot and theme? It seems weak in the middle, and some main characters don't feel deep enough over the course of the project.

I had the same problem with the middle section of my novel. Just the other day I read something that inspired me to come at the outline in a different way. I'm hoping that this new technique will help me come up with a more solid outline.

MrsBrown wrote:

quote:
I'm re-reading Elantris (B. Sanderson) and taking it slow, to see how its done. That is one tight story, weaving characters and subplot without ever slowing down.

I have that book sitting on my shelf, unread. My wife has read it and she's reading the Mistborn books now. I usually don't like to read while I'm writing a book. I don't know why though. Too distracting I suppose. Gotta love ADD....

....oooh, butterflies.

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
satate: Yesterday was my first day back into it. It was tough, but by the end of the 2 hours I was finally getting somewhere. I only wrote about one sentence of original stuff, but I pooled about 4 different sources to come up with a solid 11 pages of material (first novel, second novel that I'm trying to weave into the first novel, a short story that is the new beginning and a botched attempt at making the short story longer). Today will go better. 2 hours of not getting off the seat. That's all I'm asking myself. Good luck with you. I know you can do it!
Melanie

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
William said:
"Just the other day I read something that inspired me to come at the outline in a different way."

You gonna share or what? What is this ambiguous "something"?
EDITED to add:

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited August 27, 2009).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

Yes, I intend to share. I want to do a full topic thread on it because I would like to get others' thoughts on it. I'm not trying to be ambiguous on purpose or stingy, honest. I've just been trying to get my thoughts organized on this technique. I will try to get that thread started soon.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Things are finally moving along on the collaboration again. We're both anxious to have it done.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

For those interested I have posted a thread (in the Open Discussions About Writing category) about this outlining technique I started using. Whether it helps me or not hopefully someone may benefit from what I am experimenting with.

Feel free to add your opinions on it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.