Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG 4/29 - 5/5

Author Topic: NSG 4/29 - 5/5
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group (NSG). Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Feel free to update the NSG Work in Progress thread with your current projects. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

• What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
  • Describe what you worked on.
  • Set goals for next week.
  • Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

• Writing on a novel
  • Characterization
  • World Building
  • Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

Last Week's Goals

I did not do as much writing this week as I have in the past. It has been a very busy week so I was not able to do one of my Writing Work Days. That will start up again next week for sure.

My goals for next week:

• Brainstorm New Book Idea(s)

I intend to continue with my Writing Work Days. This week I will concentrate on fine tuning the outline. I have quite a bit of the background events plotted out, most of which will never get into the book. However, it gives me a fairly solid foundation on what I will need to know for the story. Now, I need to develop the basic outline of the book's story arc and work on that for the next few weeks.

However, I may stop with this new book as my wife will soon finish the first draft of my Project: Life book. Once she completes that I will need to work on that book instead. I have some things I want to work on that will improve that story quite a bit.

What did I learn this week?

I have learned quite a bit after having listened--several times--to Brandon's Sanderson's lectures from JordanCon on YouTube. Those videos from the past years, 4+ hours of lecture, are quite interesting and have a lot to take in. A new one got posted from this years JordanCon, but I have not had the chance to listen to it yet.

--William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

- posted      Profile for enigmaticuser   Email enigmaticuser         Edit/Delete Post 
I beat Meredith!
Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
@enigmaticuser: Yes, but you didn't say anything.

Last Week's Goals:

On the Shelf:
THE SHAMAN'S CURSE
THE IGNORED PROPHECY

DREAMER'S ROSE: Nothing for this month.
Such an easy goal.

MAGE STORM: Work on the query. Really.
Yes, I did. It still needs more work, but I did actually work on it. Check it out in F&F for Books.

SEVEN STARS: Start the second draft.
Yep. I'm on Chapter Three, but that's a start.

BLOOD WILL TELL: Finish the revisions.
Yes! Woo Hoo!

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
I still have those short stories I need to work on a little and get back out there.
Yes to both. Well, one I worked on, but I can't send it out until the next market opens up again next week.

Next Week's Goals:

On the Shelf:
THE SHAMAN'S CURSE
THE IGNORED PROPHECY

Keep jotting down ideas of how these two might be changed.

DREAMER'S ROSE:
Nothing for this month.

MAGE STORM:
Work on the query some more.

SEVEN STARS:
Keep working on the second draft. First pass through Chapter 8 would be great.

BLOOD WILL TELL:
Now that the revisions are done, I need a reader or two. Any volunteers?

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

- posted      Profile for enigmaticuser   Email enigmaticuser         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, now that I have secured my place in history by sneaking in for the a juvenile victory over my hatrack senior, I shall move on to the real work.

Previously on the writing adventures of Jesse:

Evangeline: Did not get my target of opportunity writing done, time was scarce, but I did do some imaginative work in my head...really good scene in the sequel to Evangeline where the Empress is taken hostage (again) and the Guardian is almost powerless, but well lets just say death and glory follow...which of course I have not finished the WIP before the sequel, but I got the snapshot version down in my outline file.

New Arbor Day: Didn't quite 'avenge' myself on those 80 pages, but I do think I have a solid springboard. Tucking info into snapshots while expanding the time in 'present' to get to hear Agee's motivation.

New Goals:

Evangeline: Write as a target of opportunity, visit every day to keep it fresh, but no focused writing.

New Arbor Day: Avenge yourself on those first 77 pages until they are fast and close up. But without losing the pov of ignorance and disbelief of the characters...in short work those first 77 pages this week.

[This message has been edited by enigmaticuser (edited April 29, 2011).]

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, enigmaticuser and someone else who has also made this mistake, you put a B between the [ ] .

It's easy to do that, I think I forgot once and put in a bold and once for some reason or another I used { * .

Yeah, I have been writing but I won't get around to saying on what for a couple of more days. Nice stuff even if only to me.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmilyS
Member # 9447

- posted      Profile for EmilyS   Email EmilyS         Edit/Delete Post 
I won't get to my full weekly report until Sunday, but for now...

@Meredith, I'd be interested in reading if you want to exchange with my NULL PROPHET (great timing, as I was going to put it on F&F this week to look for more readers).

Posts: 125 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmilyS
Member # 9447

- posted      Profile for EmilyS   Email EmilyS         Edit/Delete Post 
Last Week:

THE NULL PROPHET: Let it rest, and continue with exchange.
Yes. I also started a second exchange this week.

MINDWALKER: 1,000 words/day, except Easter.
Yes 9,000 overall. I tried something new this week and dictated some of my draft while out walking. The combination of fresh air, exercise, and no distractions did wonders for my efficiency.

OTHER: I unexpectedly wrote 1,300 words of a short story this week, the first since high school. I'm not going to set any goals on this, because it'll only get worked on when I'm done with my other quota or wouldn't be working on the novel anyway.

Next Week:

THE NULL PROPHET: Let it rest. Finish at least one critique for each exchange (two is better), and read feedback as I get it.

MINDWALKER: 1,000 words/day, 10,000 for the week.

Posts: 125 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Finally getting to this.

"New Mage On The Block".

Hardly anything at all...I'm afraid. Too much playing wasting time and working on another WIP. I did get NA into the bad guy's HQ where she will see something that allows her to figure out he is the bad guy. But I still want a chapter in-between this one and the last one.

"Bright Lights And Chaos".

This is the one I was working on instead of New Mage. I'm over half way done with the revising, as I think I said last time, and I Want to get it done. Right now I am redoing the section where she has to tell her boyfriend that she is half-fey and about fairies etc,. She had to pick him up at a church were he was doing something that hinted at the fact that he lied about his job and why he has been out of town but that won't be shown until the next book.

"Storm Born"

Did some good work on this one. I started heading down the end stretch. This next week I will finally be able to have my MC have the discussion I have been saving in my mind for at least three months. I've gone over that discussion probably fifty times in my mind. Finally he starts it. He knows how stupid and stuck in one way of thinking he has been.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.