Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Novel Support Group 8/14 - 8/20

Author Topic: Novel Support Group 8/14 - 8/20
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group. Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Feel free to update the NSG Work in Progress thread with your current projects. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
Describe what you worked on.
Set goals for next week.
Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

Writing on a novel
Characterization
World Building
Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

As for me:

Last Week's Goals:

MAGE STORM: Think about what else I could do with this story.
Not much thinking this week. [Frown]

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE/THE VOICE OF PROPHECY: Nothing for this week.
Easy one. [Smile]

BEYOND THE PROPHECY: Finish formatting. Set release date. Put up for pre-order. Continue polishing edit.
All complete, including the polishing edit. [Big Grin]

MAGIC'S WARRIOR (temporary working title of DUAL MAGICS Book 4): On hold for the revisions to BEYOND THE PROPHECY.
Get back into this one by reading the chapters already completed.
Not yet. [Frown]

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
Yes. [Smile]

Next Week's Goals:

MAGE STORM:
Think about what else I could do with this story.

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE/THE VOICE OF PROPHECY:
Start thinking about promotions surrounding the release of BEYOND THE PROPHECY.

BEYOND THE PROPHECY:
Format the print version. Start planning promotions surrounding the release.

MAGIC'S WARRIOR (temporary working title of DUAL MAGICS Book 4): On hold for the revisions to BEYOND THE PROPHECY.
Get back into this one by reading the chapters already completed.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with being a JOAT (Jack Of All Trades) is that when a multi-discipline mechanical and operational conundrum arises, who they gonna call? Me apparently. Unfortunately this left me with little time or enthusiasm for writing--I was physically stuffed for four days. But I did manage to sort of get some stuff done:

Last Week's Goals:

It’s time to fully develop Bartholomew Prinn’s character. I'm actually looking for that elusive catalyst which will turn coward into hero on a dime--and still make inevitable sense.

Nope, didn't happen. [Frown]

Block out my essay on Why have a war at all? and work on its implications in storytelling.

I wrote my arguments in support of my studied opinion on what war is and why they start; then handed it off to a beta reader. Surprisingly, he didn't find my theories contentious; do I need to try harder? [Big Grin] But I failed to do any work on translating those theories into storytelling. [Frown]

This Week's Goals:

Again: It’s time to fully develop Bartholomew Prinn’s character. I'm actually looking for that elusive catalyst which will turn coward into hero on a dime--and still make inevitable sense.

Work on translating my theories about why have a war at all into concepts and advice that can be used in storytelling.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post 
Over the last month or so of not posting updates here, I've found myself wrestling with the idea that my first novel, whatever I choose to write about, will probably be crap and that I will get better as I continue. The problem, specifically, is that I have tons of story ideas but I value them all and the idea of relegating one to "badness" simply so I can learn is difficult.

I know. That's basically the exact opposite of what that theory is supposed to do. My brain just works in weird ways. XP

Posts: 745 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
11 chapters into my online serial, Alpha. Enjoying the process so far. Didn't write a new chapter last week, though, so now I have to write 2 chapters this week to catch up. A bit of a challenge, considering this is the first week of school, but doable.

Feel free to check it out. If you enjoy it, new readers are always nice.

http://jukepop.com/home/read/8654?chapter=1

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post 
Alpha has proven enjoyable to me so far, just for the record, and I've started to notice some improvements in your writing style as the story has progressed.
Posts: 745 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Disgruntled Peony, you can always go back and redo the sacrificed idea, once you've learned what you need to learn to make it work.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely. What kdw said. [Smile]

If you look way back in the archives, you'll see that the first book I attempted after getting serious about writing was THE SHAMAN'S CURSE. That's the same book I published last year. And the same book that earned me membership in SFWA.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

This, it is true. ...Okay, then. I'm going to (wo)man up and make things happen. XD

New goal: Finish the outline for 'Sanguine', my Weird West story, because that sounds like the most fun right now.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Good idea. Writing what appeals to you most is more likely to come through to the readers. If you're having fun with it, they'll feel that.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.