Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Novel Support Group 5/3 - 5/9

Author Topic: Novel Support Group 5/3 - 5/9
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group. Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Feel free to update the NSG Work in Progress thread with your current projects. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
Describe what you worked on.
Set goals for next week.
Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

Writing on a novel
Characterization
World Building
Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

As for me:

DUAL MAGICS SERIES: As time permits, go through the x-ray listings for the Dual Magics boxed set and THE BARD'S GIFT. This is here to remind me that eventually I need to get back to this.
[Razz]

BECOME: TO CATCH THE LIGHTNING/BECOME: TO RIDE THE STORM: Promote through social media. I now have two books on social media marketing. So . . . I need to schedule some time to read them.
Some. [Smile]

MAGE STORM: On hold.
Easy one. [Smile]

DAUGHTER OF THE REBEL MAGE (working title): Get back to writing--this or anything.
Nope. [Frown]

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
Only once this week. [Frown]

Next Week's Goals:

DUAL MAGICS SERIES:
As time permits, go through the x-ray listings for the Dual Magics boxed set and THE BARD'S GIFT. This is here to remind me that eventually I need to get back to this.

BECOME: TO CATCH THE LIGHTNING/BECOME: TO RIDE THE STORM:
Promote through social media. I now have two books on social media marketing. So . . . I need to schedule some time to read them.

MAGE STORM:
On hold.

DAUGHTER OF THE REBEL MAGE (working title):
Get back to writing--this or anything.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrenB
Member # 10927

- posted      Profile for WarrenB   Email WarrenB         Edit/Delete Post 
I must reluctantly bow out of this part of the workshop for now... My adventures in social media and marketing continue to distract and confuse.

Still, I'm slowly getting a handle on these things. And doing so is going to be necessary down the line.

So for now, I've decided to put less pressure on myself to get the novel moving –– at least until my current book is slightly less invisible.

I'll be back –– as Arnie famously said –– once there's something new going on.

Posts: 115 | Registered: May 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
Best of luck in all things.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrenB
Member # 10927

Thanks, Phil... I'll still be haunting the other forums occasionally. :-)
Posts: 115 | Registered: May 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princesisto
Member # 11113

- posted      Profile for Princesisto   Email Princesisto         Edit/Delete Post 
What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?

To progress:

(1) the novel manuscript roughly at one Chapter per day. Chapters 26 to 29 were added.

(2) submitting "Princessstories", using the characters in the novel, for publication. Accomplished. Mozart's Ghost was submitted to 2 additional magazines.

Describe what you worked on.

Novel: Chapters 26-28 were more "normal" sized Chapters. They covered the Guatemalan Army's putting bombs in the President's and the Princess' SUVs; the President's new sanctions on Guatemala, telling the Air Force to support the resistance to the military government and the resistance taking the highland approaches to Guatemala City; the Princess and family getting two weeks' hiatus, while her videopack is edited and polished, and going back to England, where they have not been in four years. Chapter 29 is getting long: what the Castletons do on their English holidays, visiting relatives and old acquaintances around the country.

Princesstories: Every day looking and looking for magazines that might publish a 9,000 word psychological horror novellette.

Set goals for next week.

Novel: Chapters 30 - 36.

Stories: After a day or two, give up on Mozart's Ghost (already submitted to 8 magazines or anthologies) and turn to Princess On The Warpath".

Did you learn something during this week?

How few the markets are for horror that are actually open and reading and not begging for reading fees.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Feb 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrenB
Member # 10927

Hi Princesisto. Progress continues apace! And I continue impressed.

Purely a curiosity question: how are you finding markets? Online searches? A service like Duotrope? Some other way? This isn't an immediate issue for me, but it'd be helpful to know once I get there...

Happy writing. W

Princesisto
Member # 11113

- posted      Profile for Princesisto   Email Princesisto         Edit/Delete Post 
Warren, sorry for the delay, I was off line.

I assume that you are talking about the Mozart's Ghost submissions: the novel I am not directly marketing now because it is not finished.

Happily, Mozart's Ghost falls into the genre "horror" even though it is psychological horror and not 10 headed people getting each head cut off with a razor blade ....

I had two other descriptors I used "novelette"/"novella" as it is 9,000 words plus and "music" because it had original lyrics (in which I found nothing, as no one has written such a story).

Following proved a fertile field for "horror"

https://publishedtodeath.blogspot.com/2018/05/mega-list-of-paying-markets-for-horror.html

For Novelettes/Novellas

http://www.thereviewreview.net/publishing-tips/awkward-length-20-markets-novellas-and-novel

Just searching with key words horror novella was fruitful and located some anthologies being put together now.

Also, Jacob Jans' Freedom With Writing has put together some books with lists of paying publications in different genres.

Again, these are only for short stories/novellas, not books.

I hope that this is helpful.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Feb 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrenB
Member # 10927

Thanks, Princesisto -- useful to have a sense of how you're going about this. And good to know that there are several possibilities out there.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.