Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Novel Support Group 7/26 - 8/1

Author Topic: Novel Support Group 7/26 - 8/1
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group. Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Feel free to update the NSG Work in Progress thread with your current projects. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
Describe what you worked on.
Set goals for next week.
Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

Writing on a novel
Characterization
World Building
Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

As for me:

Last Week's Goals:

DUAL MAGICS SERIES: As time permits, go through the x-ray listings for the Dual Magics boxed set and THE BARD'S GIFT. This is here to remind me that eventually I need to get back to this.
[Razz]

BECOME: TO CATCH THE LIGHTNING/BECOME: TO RIDE THE STORM: Promote through social media. I now have two books on social media marketing. So . . . I need to schedule some time to read them.
Nope. [Frown]

MAGE STORM: Continue the rewrite. Try to build up some momentum.
Some. [Smile]

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
Yes. [Smile]

Next Week's Goals:

DUAL MAGICS SERIES:
As time permits, go through the x-ray listings for the Dual Magics boxed set and THE BARD'S GIFT. This is here to remind me that eventually I need to get back to this.

BECOME: TO CATCH THE LIGHTNING/BECOME: TO RIDE THE STORM:
Promote through social media. I now have two books on social media marketing. So . . . I need to schedule some time to read them.

MAGE STORM:
Continue the rewrite. Try to build up some momentum.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
Weekend before last I managed to start world building with a few ideas. On the Tuesday I decided it was time to stop ‘thinking’ about the world I was creating (mainly because it’s small-minded stuff) and let my mind do what it does best--make the big stuff up without me interfering. I gave my mind leave to think about whatever it wanted to; a dangerous move, because I have no idea what my current obsessive nature will latch onto. It was two things actually: My computer (ex IT Nerd and Network guru who hasn’t come up with a back-up regime for his Linux system in the last five years) and the construction of a number of museum-grade military miniatures. Then, about Wednesday this week a random thought popped into my head: What single thing has driven every aspect of all human civilisation throughout time: what has united its development, its discoveries and its advancement? My answer may surprise you, but you’ll have to wait till my weekend post. The point is, it prompted a solution to finding that single thing which binds together the civilisation I’m building. A crucial point in the story creation process has now been reached.

Now, for those people interested in the thoughts that tumble out of my head, let’s pick up where I left off:

July 20

• Seven clans—5 seats on the council. Every 3(?) years all seats are declared vacant and who gets a seat on the new council is decided by a series of duels to the death.
  • Each clan is jealous of the purity of its bloodline to the point of murder—or total war.
  • This has been enabled by the Sorcerers and their Blood Magic. O-neg will not taint an otherwise pure bloodline.
  • Political and social advancement is made through duelling.
  • To the death?
  • Instead of being immune, Trouble absorbs the power of the spell. This reinvigorates, repairs etc.. (Add +10 bonus strength points. Yuck, yuckity-yuck.)
  • A ‘Champion’ may fight as a surrogate.

July 21

• 9 clans--5 on the council. 5 against 4 if dissent occurs.
  • The table is round with a pentagram painted in blood. Once, in the past, all were equal; now there is a hierarchy.
  • What impacts on Trouble’s search?
    Duelling code.
    Patronage.
    Wizard secrecy and security.
    Finding where Tommy is.
    Finding out how to get in and out.
  • Trouble has travelled about 100 miles so far.
  • Outside the clans-Lower Nobility-duels are usually only to first blood or first hit. For Clansman the fight is either until one side asks for quarter or is killed.
  • Quarter can receive blood transfusions; death requires a more drastic remedy?????

July 22

• Ask the question--don’t ask! Knowledge is dangerous.
  • Each imparts their small knowledge reluctantly--in pieces.
  • Only the Clansman know.
  • All others only know how they are impacted by the Bloodhounds and their Reavers.
  • A slowly evolving jig-saw puzzle.
  • Each person Trouble forms a relationship with adds one small piece to the puzzle; to her understanding of where to look.

There we are, up to date. And, as always, comments and questions are welcome.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.