Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » May : When did it grab you?

Author Topic: May : When did it grab you?
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
We spend a lot of time discussing hooks around here. As this is a novel, I hardly think 13 lines do the work justice, but I was curious about where you did get hooked (and stay that way). What hooked you?
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
I think what caught me was the general attitude of the narrator in the opening paragraphs (I just remember something about they were perfectly fine "thank you very much."

The first time I read the opening page, I forced myself to close the book and forget about it. I could tell right then that it would suck me in completely, and it was at a very buys point in college, when I knew I didn't have time to read like I normally do when a book really grabs me. I came back to it last summer and plowed through the first few in just a couple weeks. Then I read books 4 and 5 a few months later.

Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I got hooked in the first couple pages as Dursley starts getting bombarded by the witches/wizards bubbled over enthusasim of You-Know-How's defeat. It's the humor of the language and the slight exaggeration of the characters which made for a very engaging narrative voice that sucked me in.
Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
lol, "you-know-how"('s) defeat, was it? Sorry to tease but I thought that was funny,

hooks,

I recall nothing specific grabbing me, simply the general feel of the story. Though, the closest event--would have been the ever curious letters that kept coming and coming.

Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Where was I hooked? Beyond my students telling me I had to read it, they couldn't believe I hadn't read it, etc.? I waited until the first 3 were in paperback, then picked up the first two. It may have been the only good reason for going on bedrest with my twin pregnancy!

I honestly think the title of the first chapter, "The Boy Who Lived" was enough to lure me to read, aside from the hype and youthful pressure. I found it intriguing and hopeful - it was about a boy, and it was special that he lived, and I felt I could trust her because she didn't start with a death, but a life.

I always like to read the table of contents for chapter names, and I think JKR did a wonderful job with them. Once I started, I couldn't stop - by day two I was begging my husband to go to the book store for book three, and cursing that book four was only in hardback and would a friend loan it out?

Her prose hooked me too - matter-of-fact and funny in an English/British sort of way. I found myself engaged and pulled along to learn more and more...

[This message has been edited by punahougirl84 (edited April 28, 2004).]

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
For me it was the apperance of Dumbledore. Although I thought it was a horrid name. I was curious how she would use an all powerful wizard like that. (before you bite my head off about the all powerful bit, that was the idea I got from the "Only one You-know-who was afraid of")
Also the giant motorcycle showed me this was a different sorta fantasy. A step away from tolkeinesque.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

I too was first exposed to the books by hearing other school-mates talking about them. Of course, I knew nothing but I heard the name dumbledore, mistook it for "Double-door", and said,

"What kind of ridiculous-garbage fiction are you reading? Where the main-most-powerful arch-mage is named Double-door," and then wasn't impressed much more by 'Dumbledore,' when I was corrected.

Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
Having read more Roald Dahl than I care to admit, I noticed the similarities immediately. But Rowling's work has such a refreshingly delightful tone to it! (And, in a way, her wizarding world is much more believable than a boy flying in a giant peach pit with huge insects for companions... )

And I loved the first chapter title and the "..., thank you very much," line, as well. She set the mood wonderfully.

~L.L.

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

quote:
And I loved the first chapter title and the "..., thank you very much," line, as well. She set the mood wonderfully.

Wow, I'm surprsied how many people have made that comment. Honestly that bit of her porse seemed unprofessional and informal, which it was, but I didn't like it--at all.

[This message has been edited by Alias (edited May 03, 2004).]

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that in fiction writing professional and formal are necessarily things that I like. I'm not really even sure what it means. Fiction is about weaving a stary in an enjoyable manner, not about giving a formal presentation, as in a business environment. Many informal tricks can and, in my opinion, should be used to bring the reader into the story and keep him there, but these things are not necessarily formal or professional, as I envision those words, at all.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
For me it was early. Like on page 1. It grabbed me good. So good, that I read all 5 in less than 4 weeks. Unfortunately, I didn't write much during that time.

Rux
:}

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.