Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » May : Bridging the Generation Gap

Author Topic: May : Bridging the Generation Gap
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
This book is a YA book, not targetted specifically for an adult audience, but many adults have come to love him at least as much if not more than their children. I first was introduced to the books late in my college career.

So two questions for this thread: How do you think the book worked as a YA book? Why do you think it reached the hearts of so many kids?

and

Why does it cross the generation gap and amuse readers of all ages?

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to answer both questions at the same time, because I feel that the reasons duplicate.

First: Most children and adults can relate to Harry. He's a good kid that is always being bullied and picked on. If you can't relate to that in some way, you were probably the bully. Also, J.K. Rowling piles it on so that you feel sorry for Harry.

Second: It is what I call "an easy read". What does that mean? Simply that the paragraphs are small, she doesn't use grandiose wordage, it has the same quality that other good boks have.

Rux
:}

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
All that (some good points, TR) and because of the sheer creativity of it all. JK Rowling has such a powerful imagination, and she describes it all with such skill, I can't help but get sucked in by it all.

She's so good, in fact (and if you tell anyone I said it, I'll call you a liar to your face ), that when I first read the first novel (way back when), I would walk up and down streets, the mall, the movie theater (though not just for this purpose), and wonder who was secretly a part of this magical world.

Shh! Big secret!

CVG

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
AeroB1033
Member # 1956

- posted      Profile for AeroB1033   Email AeroB1033         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there's any one catch-all, but there are a lot of elements that made this so enormously popular among the younger audience.

-Elements of familiarity. Despite its fantastic nature, the setting and the things within it are things that have in one place or another pervaded our culture. The school doesn't seem wildly different from what they've experienced themselves, in nature at least... the magic and fantasy elements are often archetypal and not exotic in a way that frightens, but rather in a way that charms.

-Elements of strangeness. Rowling takes all of these things and spins them her own way, turning them into a near-whimsical world with plenty of little delights for kids to discover.

-A structure that children can easily relate to. Everything takes place in a school--it's about the adventures that Harry has there. These are the kind of adventures kids imagine having, set in a place that doesn't seem too far detached from their own lives.

But that's just scratching the surface. When you examine the book, there's a lot of elements that make Harry Potter a delight for children to read.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
She's so good, in fact (and if you tell anyone I said it, I'll call you a liar to your face), that when I first read the first novel (way back when), I would walk up and down streets, the mall, the movie theater (though not just for this purpose), and wonder who was secretly a part of this magical world.

Shh! Big secret!

At least you never tried to figure out what star was really Pern's, right? Note that I don't say I did. Because I didn't. Of course not. That would be stupid. Right.

I think really good worlds should lead us there... we should want the other world to be true. Urban fantasy and other fantasies starting in the real world make it easier to see echoes of the strange in the everyday world around us... and I wonder how many people have tried to go through the back of a wardrobe (Lewis), or translate themselves through a mirror (Donaldson), or take the Wizard's Oath (Duane).

Um, yeah. So I agree, the depth of the world is major. And mythic implications! Mythic resonance galore. It's the classic Star Wars popularity explanation, right? And Harry has the orphan goes on hero's journey structure.

And-- and I think this is major-- the characters. You can debate about how complicated or deep they are, but I'd say most people experience them as vivid.

Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jsteg1210
Member # 1993

- posted      Profile for Jsteg1210   Email Jsteg1210         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the characters are so vivid and real to us because they are characters who actually act like human beings. The protagonists in this story are easily recognizable because they misunderstand, make mistakes, usually mean well but sometimes act out of spite. Children enjoy this because any one of the characters could be them, and adults enjoy it because I think secretly we all want to go back to a time when we were "allowed" to just be children. Its like a vacation for us. Of course, good writing is what pulls it all together.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
All of the above aspects contribue: Easy read, easy to relate to characters and situations, easy-this, easy-that

And as important as all of thos ethings are, I also believe "escapism" is the main reason.

Everyone enjoys leaving boring, insipid, worrisome reality to adventure into some mystical universe, of some sort. JK introduced a newer, much more modern-familiar kind of fantasy and placed it in the world in such a way that everyone can get their fantasy thrills, wands, trolls, good vs evil, while simultaneously being able to relate to the world it exists in.

Which I think is the real genius that made it a success.

Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - hard to add to what has gone before...

The fact that Harry is an orphan, and the circumstances around that, draw in adults and children from opposing viewpoints that are both sympathetic to him, aside from the fact that we know from the beginning what a sorry situation he is being left in - we shout in our head "No Dumbledore, don't leave him there!"

Also, unlike some YA books, there are many adults who are well-developed, with varying sympathies to Harry & Co., lending reality and more for old and young to connect to.

I love that McGonagall breaks the rules when she feels it right to make Harry 'Seeker' when the flying teacher had threatened expulsion for flying when she had to leave the first lesson to take Neville away for healing. That is the real adult world - we follow the rules in general, but we know when they can be bent and when they can't be bent. The it's a lesson Hermione learns. I never felt the book was 'beneath' me as an adult reader, and know plenty of kids who did not feel condescended to - the book recognizes genuine feelings and situations in appropriate ways no matter your age.

Hate to bring up a series comment, but this is very appropriate IMHO: as Harry grows older, the tone and themes and situations, etc, also become more mature. The YA audience grows up with Harry. We adults just stay the same!

Gen - if you go to www.annemccaffrey.org you can see a picture of Rukbat - she's got connections she does!

[This message has been edited by punahougirl84 (edited April 28, 2004).]

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to puna's comment,

I think the sort of feel of, "being the chosen one," and the entire "special circumstances" around Harry further attract readers. It worked for Luke Skywalker, why not Harry Potter?

Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.