Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » June: Random Mutterings

Author Topic: June: Random Mutterings
Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
So here's a catchall topic for Deep Secret. Find something amusing? upsetting? strage? and it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else?
Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the millieu best of all, I think...I also liked the characters fairly well. I was amused by the hnotel continuing to change shape and nobody being particularly bothered by this (I mean the other hundreds of guests, not the main characters, of course.)

The worst thing about this book, IMO, was the ending. This ending, I think, may have stemmed from the shifting first person POV's...more reason for the badness of the method in this case. The climax was over. I felt sufficient suspense at the climax and the aftermath brought it to a great close after the cnetaur became king and had a chat with everyone.

Then it kept going...worse, it backtracked to tell us what had happened on the road to Babylon. If we had heard this information as it was happening, when the candles burning out was an iminent threat, it would have worked great. But after the fact, when the book had already come to close no less, I wnated no part of it. It even had to introduce a third shifting first person account to do it.

So that's what I thought, anyway.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a little trouble getting into it at first. It was almost like the author was trying too hard to create something, but as she got into telling the story instead of just setting it up, it got better (and less easy to put down). Some parts were easy to predict (I knew who Maree was, and who she would be, by page 49), but I admit to not figuring out Andrew (thought he might be another choice for Magid, and did not realize who he was). Since it was obvious he was built up to be something, it didn't bother me how he was resolved. In general I liked the book, but don't feel the need to reread it. I would probably look at other of her books as well.
Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
If I had picked up this book and read the first few pages, I would have put it down and choose another. After the first chapter, It started to pick up interest. Overall it was pretty good. I still wonder what got that first chapter by the editors.

LDS

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I thought the first chapter was fine. The first sentence or paragraph seemed mildly interesting, enough to get me to the bottom of the first page. I'll admit that the rest of the page was a little slow, but in a novel I'm willing to give at least 2 pages minimum. Those first 2 pages didn't grab me, but they were acceptable--which means that I'm willing to go on a few more pages. By page 4 or so, I was starting to get pretty interested. Much earlier than Chapter 2, at any rate.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.