Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » June: Cons and Fandom

Author Topic: June: Cons and Fandom
Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you like or dislike Jones' presentation of science fiction and fantasy fans and fandom? Why or why not? Was it OK for her to use this milleu? Do you think she turned people off from this book, or got more of them to buy it?
Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah....didn't even phase me. Sounds like you had problems, though.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
The exact opposite, actually. I *loved* the con sections, absolutely loved them. But not everyone portayed was completely... well, I wondered if people took offense. (And before I sound like I'm saying I thought or I thought she thought all of fandom is crazy, let me just say that I go to cons, and work for the IgNobels, and probably do things far stranger.)
Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I was happy to learn the setting, given that I was going to Balticon at the end of May. I knew enough to understand the setting, and felt it was very believable. In a way, I was really glad we were reading this book in May - I feel it actually prepared me for my first real con!

Believe it or not, Balticon was held in a hotel just as confusing as the one in Deep Secret - like it was added on to, so different towers, different levels, and we had to zig-zag around to get to panels, etc. But the rooms did stay in the same place!

I thought it was a clever way to bring all the potential Magids together.

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty easy to be critical of lots of the fans at conventions. Way back in about '83, before most people had internet access, there was a "books.net" newsgroup that had an extremely active thread entitled "Fat at the LA con", in which there was loads of flaming on both sides.

In fact, I thought Diana Wynne Jones went pretty easy on the fans. She picked out certain common characteristics and exaggerated them, much like a political cartoonist does with facial features. This can be done rudely or kindly, and I thought she leaned towards the kind end of the spectrum.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.