Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » June: Characters

Author Topic: June: Characters
Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
Which characters could you relate to? Did you think Rupert was a prat? Did you think Maree was annoying?
Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
My biggest issue was probably with the people Rupert was looking at to be Magids. Obviously some were already practicing magic, and that didn't figure into the report he got from his friend??? How would the Magid taking care of Earth NOT know about others practicing magic, especially since it is Naywards? How come Gram White was not on the list? Or Nick's mom? Or Nick? Ok, so the list was supposed to be the best picks, eliminating others for whatever reasons... still seems to me they would have known about the bad guys.

I had a little understanding Rupert's actions because I didn't have a clue on the rules of magic, the strengths, etc. Why couldn't he use his magic in certain situations? I like that he was supposedly young and a touch inexperienced. Also, he was supposed to be the one around which the Koryfonic Empire fell apart, but it never really did - kind of a false conflict. I did believe that he cared about those he was supposed to watch over.

I would have liked a little more in support of Rupert and Maree's eventual 'coming together' - Jones did try to show it, I just wanted a little more of them thinking of and falling for the other in spite of themselves.

I didn't think of Maree as annoying once we had her POV. The whole dance thing in the middle of the street (what, they couldn't pull over?) seemed really bad. The POV shift was what caused her to become sympathetic to the reader (beyond the father, who is not a father, dying of cancer). That she asks the favor for him in Babylon (a place I never really understood - an alternate Earth-history place/univers??) was really a nice touch. That Nick needs to also become selfless at that point is great.

Overall, I felt pretty comfortable with the characters. They were described, detailed, and acted within parameters established for them. Andrew was a surprise, but one we were prepared for so his transformation was fine.

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Rupert gave me an impression of a 50-year-old. He was young, but he seemed to have more wisdom than he should. His whole attitude felt like he was older. That was a problem for me.

Maree I did like. Her opinion of Rupert did have some stubble changes that happened throughout the story, but I didn't see it as love. I'll give on that point . . . it wasn't upsetting.

Nick... Barring the end, I thought he was great. The end was boring, and served to justify Nick doing the right thing over his own desires. We had already seen that Nick cared for Maree, that would have justified the uncharacteristic choice. Oh well.

Some other characters could have been a bit better . . . but the story was good enough to carry it.

Still, I enjoyed it.

LDS

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.