Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » So what are we reading and discussing, folks???

Author Topic: So what are we reading and discussing, folks???
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope this idea has died yet!

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I hope this idea has died yet!
I hope you mean hasn't!

This month was supposed to be danquixote doing In the Lake of the Woods by Tim O'Brien. I haven't noticed any postings recently by that particular knight. My suspicion is that we've got a month off. It wouldn't be fair to suddenly expect people to have read the book for next month.

But while we're on that topic, I need to say that I was a little disappointed in the response last month. We've got twenty or so people on the list with a book that they want other people to read, so we can all discuss it--and only 5 or so bothered to read last month's selection.

I'm not trying to dump too much blame here. Listen, I hadn't read it myself until, about halfway through the month, I realized that the most likely reason for the lack of response was that almost nobody had read the book. So then I had to order it (it wasn't at my library, but I got a nice hardcover for $1.98 through Amazon), and when it came and I finished reading it, well, the month was almost over.

But folks, I'm not on the list for leading any of these discussions. Those of you who are--well, if you want other people to read the book you've selected, then you'd darn well better read the books other people have selected, too. Otherwise this thing just won't work.

I say that, since we apparently have this month off, everyone who is signed up for leading any of these discussions, as well as those who just want to participate, make sure to have read The Forever War by the end of this month, so that we can start off with a lot of stimulating discussions about it. I'd like to see this thing continue with the same exuberance that it started with.

However, I think we should also make sure that the leader is still active. Anyone who read this month's book might be a little ticked at danquixote right now, especially if they didn't like the book.

LDS--I know you're still active. Are you still planning on doing this next month?

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup!

I was traveling, just got back recently, and requested this month's book through our library (it had to be sent from another one, so it just arrived). Got last month's book at the library. Plan to get the next one that way too. So people don't even have to buy them!

Maybe dq forgot to set up the questions for discussion this month? Or had a family emergency? Maybe our moderator could set something up?

I too was surprised at the limited discussion over the last book. I know I had a stuttered start getting into it, but pushed on and ended up enjoying it. Might never have read it except for this club idea. So I hope we are continuing. Of course, some others may be traveling too...

I've worked on some new stories, so my reading has slowed. Did manage to read 4 books on my vacation - even with the babies around. Heaven!

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate it when I don't see my own typos!!!

Yes, I meant "HASN'T!"

And I am guilty as charged for not reading last month's book.

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I was going to do some threads come close to August. I've been reading this months book, but it is hard to get into.

The forever war will take me about 3 days to read.

This should make the fourth time I think...

LDS

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.