Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Um...Oops.

Author Topic: Um...Oops.
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
I've shamefully neglected my Hatrack Book Club's duties (meaning I haven't read this month's book ), and must now commit seppuku. Or, if not that (too much of a mess for my next of kin to clean up), then at least promise to read September's book. Only I don't know which book that is. If someone could fill me in?

Also, I suppose I could try and read this month's, but I'm in the middle of Twain's Huck Finn. (I have been for a month now, but I can probably finish it by September...if I push and cut down on de TV watchin'. Which I should do anyway, I realize. Ooh. Much shame.)

CVG

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
According to the latest list: punahougirl84 will lead a discussion of Restoree, by Anne McCaffrey in September.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh Oh - I thought the next selection was:

Silver6 - September - The Book of Atrix Wolfe by Patricia McKillip

I was picking it up at the library today...

I've read Restoree a million times and could talk about it in my sleep, and I certainly can do September - Christine, is my choice up next? Kathleen says so, so maybe I forgot to update the list I keep on my computer? (I know I traded with someone, but thought I moved from November to October, or something like that)

Please let me know so I can get my threads finalized!

Lee

Edit - p.s. - cvgurau, you should definitely read this month's book. It is a QUICK read - honest, it moves and is really interesting. I might not have read it if not for the book club, and am glad I did. Read it during the commercials for the Olympics

[This message has been edited by punahougirl84 (edited August 16, 2004).]

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Punahougirl,

I just checked on the Book Club Business thread, and it looks like you're next, with Silver the month after.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for both messages Rick!

I remember the switch, but didn't make it on my own document... bleah, must be getting old

Hope this means everyone has gotten their copy, has read and enjoyed it!

Lee

Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it was Anne McCaffrey this month and grimaced.

For some reason, I just can't get into her books. The only one I really enjoyed by McCaffrey was A Diversity of Dragons. The others I've tried make me want to throw the book against the wall.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

I think it is normal for all of us to have an author whose style or story choices don't work for us. For me, I just couldn't do Farmer's Riverworld books (and I tried). I read all of Donaldson's Thomas Covenant books, and was ready to strangle the author because, contrary to expectations, the mc NEVER GOT IT - a waste of my time, energy and money. The only reason I didn't curse Donaldson was because I tried some others, and LOVED them - because he figured it out, and the books actually worked (A Mirror of Her Dreams, A Man Rides Through). I've been willing to give an author another chance, and was not disappointed.

I don't know which of Ms. McCaffrey's books you've read (I know Kathleen didn't like Crystal Singer - another example), but Restoree is different - it is sf, and romance (not unusual for her!), and was supposedly written in reaction to all the weak, stereotypical females being written in sf books "back in the day."

If you can find it at the library, give it a try. I can guarantee it doesn't start like anything else she's written (and I know, because except for some romances, I've read everything of hers that is published and available!).

Finally, it is pretty obvious that not everyone is reading all the books. We'll have to see how it goes this month. If people changed their minds (and not just had other issues keeping them from participating), this club might go away. I hope not - I feel it has a good purpose, but it will only work if a large number of people actually participate.

I hope you give her a try, but I'll understand if we don't see posts from you

cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hereby making a vow to (pay attention, folks. These are rare As is my use of the word "hereby", now that I think about it) read this month's book. Although I've only ever read one of McCaffrey's books (the first Pern one, if memory serves), and I didn't think it was anything special (which was why I didn't go for the rest of them), it didn't make me want to tear my hair out by the handful, and that's a good, solid recommendation in my book. That, and punahougirl so eagerly recommends it, which also scores it some points. So I'll place a hold for the local library (I'm cheap. I don't buy books, with the exception of King's ON WRITING, which I only bought because I was on a ferry with a 6+-hour-long drive ahead of me) and give it a decent shot.

edited to add: They don't have it! Can you believe it? They have 89 of her books, and not one of them is Restoree!

Oh well. I'll get it at a used book store, somewhere. I know of at least three within driving distance.

[This message has been edited by cvgurau (edited August 24, 2004).]

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

Thanks for the vote of confidence, cv! I hope you find it.

Restoree is not a great work of literature. It is not hard sf. What it is, is a good story (which works for me!), and an impressive first book. Her style definitely changes over time. A hard sf person might have a couple of issues - but this book doesn't make any claims to be more than what it is.

I keep thinking of things I want to say, then deleting them, realizing they should wait until we start the actual threads. So I'll stop

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.