Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » The Long Walk

Author Topic: The Long Walk
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
If you haven't read "The Long Walk" by Richard Bachman (aka Stephen King) I highly recommend it. I'm not quite through but what a twisted psychological novel. Has anyone else here read it?
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother-in-law was actually just talking about that story over Thanksgiving, and recommending it to me. That makes two recommendations, so I guess I have to read it now.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
I read it. In a way, it was great: full of those little King touches his fans love him for. All of King's stories are simply torture chambers for his characters so we can see how they react to each other and to events, and in this he has no equal.

In another way, it was the stupidest story ever, because the entire premise of it is just unbelievable. He admits he's terrible at sf.

"Apt Pupil" is probably the most chilling, psychologically astute, and believable story he's ever written.

[This message has been edited by Magic Beans (edited December 01, 2004).]

Posts: 284 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Strangely, I did not find the premise unbelievable. A stretch, maybe, but not unbelievable and not so much of a stretch that I was unwilling to suspend disbelief. People are pretty savage, when it comes right down to it. We've got a long history of watching people kill one another for amusement. Death and torture are often like games to us. But the reality of the situation wasn't really the point, which was probably another reason I could suspend disbelief. Some of my favorite stories have premises that are something of a stretch but since the premise is not the entire point of the story (merely a backdrop for observation about the human condition) I managed to enjoy the story thouroughly.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Nearly all of my favorite stories have premises that are a stretch. Just my personal taste, I suppose. Give me a super-crazy premise and "real" people reacting to it, and that's a pretty good start as far as I'm concerned.

"Apt Pupil" was a great story, by the way. Did you ever see the movie? They completely ruined it.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
i just finished reading it myself the other day... definitely interesting... horrible how it ends, but then, that's King.

i don't fully comprehend the setting/premise. he drops hints throughout the book, but nothing substantial, i make it all the way to the end of the novel and find myself wondering when this is supposed to take place? i hate that. i like answers.

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
xarius
Member # 2168

- posted      Profile for xarius   Email xarius         Edit/Delete Post 
I read a lot of King's books/stories. I think The Long Walk and The Running Man (horrible movie but neat story) complement each other. Both have the same reality/game show gone too far setting, but I liked characters much more than the events, particularly in Long Walk. I really didn't care that much about how the story ended.
Posts: 54 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.